Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - What are your oldest memories?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your oldest memories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: What are your oldest memories? Reply with quote

I'm curious.

I have 2 which date back really far. My oldest actually goes back to when I was still in a crib.

I remember waking up in that crib, as I always did at the time. Problem was I would typically wake up before my parents, and I'd get bored. I remember throwing my leg up and over the railing, and hauling my tiny baby ass out of the crib... And going *thunk* on the floor. Then I happily went to play with my toys until someone came to get me for breakfast. I very clearly remember everything that went through my mind as I was climbing out, and how hard it was to stretch my leg up and over the railing.

My parents told me their side of this memory, too. My Dad describes himself laying in bed with my Mom, still tired but just resting... And hearing a loud *thunk* from down the hall. Dad just kinda shrugged and said "Well, I guess Jimmy is awake." Shortly after this, they bought me a "big boy bed".

My other oldest memory I can actually put an exact date on!

It was December 2nd, 1989. I had a yellow t-shirt which was basically my favorite shirt ever because it had a hand on it showing 3 fingers, and proudly said "I'm 3" on the shirt. I had worn this shirt pretty much every day for the previous week. I remember standing in my closet, holding this shirt. I remember being really really sad about it because this would be the last time I could ever put on that shirt. Because the next day, I'd turn 4.

What about you, Nexus? What are your oldest memories?
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not my oldest but as far back as I can think right now...

I was four and playing by the living room next to a power socket. My brothers were also in the same room playing video games (a Super Nintendo if I recall correctly, with the purple-ish face buttons and shit)

So I had this brilliant, brilliant idea of making a space ship out of those T-shaped power adapters, which wouldn't be too bad if I also didn't have the idea of plugging the damn thing onto the power socket, with predictable results.

The next thing I remember was me being carried by my brothers, looking at my hand and seeing the palm all black. And that was it.

Fun times, and it would also explain a lot about me, now that I think about it, too.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest memory is of wandering around in the kitchen in my first home. My mother was making dinner and had the radio on, and I distinctly remember the red wallpaper and that NPR All Things Considered jingle. The news had a booming sound that I thought was big drums. As I later found out, it wasn't drums, so I must have been three at the time.

Anyway, that jingle is seared into my head forever. What's weird is that looking it up tells me that they changed it a few years later, but my memory says that the current one is the correct one, or at least the opening chords are.
Saint_Jimmy
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest memory is at a swimming pool when I was 5? There was a wasp floating in it which I assumed was dead because it was just floating about. It wasn't Sad And that's why I hate wasps. Also the pool was freezing.
Edith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember going to my uncle's wedding when I was four. My mother had her done in a beehive and I was sad because my favourite yellow jersey didn't fit anymore.
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: What are your oldest memories? Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
I'm curious.

I have 2 which date back really far. My oldest actually goes back to when I was still in a crib.

I remember waking up in that crib, as I always did at the time. Problem was I would typically wake up before my parents, and I'd get bored. I remember throwing my leg up and over the railing, and hauling my tiny baby ass out of the crib... And going *thunk* on the floor. Then I happily went to play with my toys until someone came to get me for breakfast. I very clearly remember everything that went through my mind as I was climbing out, and how hard it was to stretch my leg up and over the railing.

My parents told me their side of this memory, too. My Dad describes himself laying in bed with my Mom, still tired but just resting... And hearing a loud *thunk* from down the hall. Dad just kinda shrugged and said "Well, I guess Jimmy is awake." Shortly after this, they bought me a "big boy bed".

How do you remember something that far back?

For me the oldest memory I can recall is when I fell asleep on my family's dinner table. Don't ask me why I thought this was a good idea, I'm still not sure, but it made perfect sense to 4-year-old-sleepy-Shadok.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: What are your oldest memories? Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:
Teksura wrote:
I'm curious.

How do you remember something that far back?

Now that I think about it, yeah. I must have been 18-20 months old. That's usually when babies outgrow their cribs.

Well, lets just say I was very careful every time I climbed out after that. Every guy here will understand. We all remember that first time the boys get hurt.
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My earliest memory, hmm that was me and my mother in the tram and I asked questions about kindergarten (where I'd soon be for the first time) because I believed it was a literal garden (ger: Garten) with children (ger: Kinder) in it.
Aidan
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me is famous for having a terrible memory and probably can't even remember what happened an hour ago if you asked

That said, in my current drowsy 'just woke up and have to dress quickly for a wedding' state, I feel an old memory stirring at the back of my mind. I remember me and my sister, sitting on a bare, mosaiced floor (I think we'd moved recently), taking turns playing SMB (god knows where that console went).

My sister's fave color being red, she was obviously P1 AKA Mario. I was super fond of Luigi (a word which I had difficulty pronouncing. Usually, it came out as "Loo-gee" and for many years, I was under the impression that he had something to do with lungis).

I did wish he were yellower. I had, by then, decided that yellow was my favorite color, my mom and dad being fond of blue and green respectively and having been on the receiving end of far too many "what's your favorite color!" questions with nothing to show for my 5/6 years - and hoping fervently that my sister would eff up somewhere so I could have a go. She didn't eff up very often - she seemed to be on the other side of this enormous, horizon-touching skill gap, though now I realize that it was probably just a motor coordination gap.

And then my turn FINALLY came when she missed a jump somewhere in... 1-3? The one with the massive mushrooms. Hmm. Yes, I am _pretty_ sure that was a motor coordination gap Razz

Awkwardly holding the controller in my clumsy hands, I pressed buttons furiously, but as anyone watching could have predicted, Luigi took a plunge into the Off-screen Slice of Void at the very first gap I attempted to jump (er, the one after which you get a fireflower, IIRC). Many tears were shed, and I'm afraid I was too generous in dishing out 'pain' with my tiny fists back in those days to have been a pleasant videogaming companion.
SuperflyTNT
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching an animated Boba Fett when the Star Wars Christmas Special first aired. And there were these wookie kids. And stormtroopers showed up at Chewbacca's house and got pushed out the door and then I think Han Solo was there maybe...

And also you people make me feel very old.
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest memory is me on my trike, just riding behind my grandma's aparment.

My second oldest is actually in the same place, but riding bikes with Repth. Actually, he might have been on a scooter, but w/e. Honestly, that whole childhood in the ghetto kinda blurs together into a super long summer adventure with a couple of memories of winter snowforts thrown in.
ten_of_swords
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest memory? It might be my father taking me home from preschool on a half-day. I don't remember if the sky was clear and blue or somehow white and overcast like those skies in some 1990s HK movies. In that Borgesian sense, sometimes all skies blend into one sky. We stopped by a ginkgo tree near the UN and he told me a story about it. It may have been a fable, but it's one I don't remember. And then he picked me up and showed me the tree branches which had begun budding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: