Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Redeemed skill: Favored Son of Earth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Redeemed skill: Favored Son of Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Redeemed skill: Favored Son of Earth Reply with quote

Today, while updating the wiki, I've just realized one thing about this skill, that previously I've overlooked:

Quote:
-- Implemented new Redeemed skill, Favored Son of Earth (60 CP child of Holy Fortitude)
* The character's maximum MP are decreased by 10 points.
* The character's maximum HP are increased by 20 points.

I was wondering if that skill really does what the changelog states. For me the +20 max hp and -10 max mp doesn't sound like a fair exchange.
Basically all (other 5) skills revealed for Redeemed so far use mana, portals also use mana, mp recovery is far more limited than hp recovery (consider you don't have any skills for that), and your base values before buying this skill are already around 76-86hp (lvl21-30 stats + parent skill's +15 included) and 39-49mp. With Favored Son these would be altered to 96-106hp and 29-39mp. With no additional effects, like immunity/resistance to mana-draining effects.

Comparing it to other 60cp skill such as Spring of the Enhanced Capacitators (Seraph) or Tattoo of Inner Strength (NC) this skill seems to be very weak for a 60cp skill. If it costed only 5max mp and/or gave immunity to mana stealing, or at least some resistance, then it would be worthy. But at its current level it doesn't seem to fit a 60cp slot.

Opinions?
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that is how the skill works. It makes a little more sense with a bit more info:

Bob said the Redeemed is supposed to use HP in much a similar way other classes use MP. I suspect they will be getting a skill that allows them to start using HP when they don't have enough MP, perhaps at a discount (Spend less HP to use something than you'd spend MP). The decrease in their MP cap certainly suggests there would be some advantage to running out of MP sooner, anyway.

Using HP the same way you normally use MP sounds like a neat idea, and certainly makes it easy to quickly rearm yourself after you become weak from penance. A couple healing potions and a take a regeneration potion before a raid and you're set to break out some nasty stuff. The concern I have is the very real possibility of the Redeemed becoming a healing farm, as they could wound themselves often and let others heal them.
MakenshiKupo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering all of the current Redeemed skills are auras that last pretty long, I'm wondering how they'd manage to waste all that MP without running out of AP. Granted, a -10 max MP skill sounds pretty harsh, but look at it this way.

A Redeemed's two defensive auras cost 15 mp total, lasting 30 status ticks each. Unless a Redeemed feels like walking around with those ticks on (and that'd be weird considering their negative offensive effects), they should last long enough for a Redeemed to recover the MP used overnight.

The offensive auras also total 15 mp cost to use together, lasting 30 ticks for MoV and 15 status ticks for FoHR. FoHR deals Holy damage and increases hit chance, so unless you're smacking around a Holy Champion with Cloak of Tornado on, you're probably not going to need to renew these auras either. Pretty cheap considering certain classes have to pay 10 mp to change their damage types to something that's not mundane for every blow *cough*fallen*cough*.

Just to get FSoE and two auras with synergy, a Redeemed needs to be at level 24, which would put the max mp at 33. That means the Redeemed can use each aura about twice a run at max MP, or travel through a portal and then use the auras once. Considering they don't have *reduce movement cost skill* / ES yet, probably only raiding Redeemed will ever find their MP falling short due to having too many targets with large HP totals (Hell, I wish I had that problem).

Low max MP does mean Redeemed will be easier to mana drain. And without MP, they're pretty much mortals with lots more HP and juicier targets. But with the impending HP>MP skill I just read about, I'm sure it'll be fine -_-"

tl;dr version - This skill may seem counter-productive, but considering the strong auras of the Redeemed and the relatively small mp costs, I wouldn't knock it down before trying it.
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Redeemed skillset I'm already thinking of them as Bleeding Martyrs.

Skull Face
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: