Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Who wants to discuss breath 4 Petmasters?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who wants to discuss breath 4 Petmasters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikanchion wrote:
Teksura wrote:
So why bother spending CP on the Titan when you can instead summon a couple Vanguards? This would need to be a question which is addressed were we to go with the pool idea.

This is solved in exactly the same way as the other method you referred to, simply have the titan cost nothing in terms of the pool effect while still limiting the petmaster to one titan at a time.

Good answer.

catvom wrote:
Also if dodge armour enchants are still around, then this might be overpowered unless there is some mechanism in place to counter it (such as defense bonuses not stacking, instead you just get the best bonus, like armour), but that'a a balancing issue to be worked out later.

Defense enchants are going to be rebalanced because holy crap every dev agrees they're insane and over the top at the moment.
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider restoring Exoskeletal Armor (as it was) to the Wyrm Master. It gives this class its own niche as the most armored (compared to the Lightspeaker and Lich). While this armor has gaps in the form of mystical attacks, it will be independent of the pets surrounding that petmaster. What it does stop will be stopped very well, even freeing up the need for maintaining a bulky, malleable false shell of humanity. Furthermore, it is slightly above par with pristine armors, and a class that fixates on decaying other classes' armor and reserves should at least not have to worry about such 'contrivance'.

As for pets that absorb AoEs, well, i'd have to suggest you give that to something with a limit. Petmasters and pets are not the only things that can do this. Tanks, on the other hand, might do it too well.
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everyone, I'm here to throw a proverbial bucket gas on the petmaster fire.

Please consider the following options "in play" when discussing how pets might be tweaked and re-designed.

Pets that Level Up
The basic mechanics here are obvious: pets gain XP when attacking (ever wonder where the other half of the XP that went to the petmaster got sent to?) and can level up. Upon level up, a pet could (a) gain a defined set of new powers, (b) gain a power randomly from a list, and/or (c) bank "pet CP" for the master to tell it what power to gain at a later time.

A pet that is dismissed or which despawns due to AP'ing or MP'ing out would be available to the petmaster for re-summoning (with the same HP that s/he left with). A pet that is killed is lost.

For example, your "basic" Aethersprite (since the thread seems to be focusing on them at the moment) might initially come into play with only the ability to deal 4 holy damage and heal once (i.e., instead of requiring 5 MP, its healing ability requires all of its MP). As it levels up, it might gain the ability to see invisible characters or to ignore damage auras or to heal multiple times before despawning or to restore lost MP with its heals or to remove debuffs, etc. Your "basic" Hellhound would deal 7 fire damage. As it levelled up, it might gain a secondary damage type (piercing bite or acid saliva), gain a fire aura of its own, get bigger (more HP), gain the ability to "guard" a location (i.e., operate in a location independent of the petmaster, a la a Tentacle), and/or explode in a fiery, unholy blast when killed (c.f. Explosive Murder).

Obviously, a pet with ALL of these abilities would be overpowered (perhaps limit a pet's maximum level to 5 if it gets one ability per level or 10 if we create "pet-CP" trees for it to pursue), but it would give more variety to pets to make different routes for pet advancement available and make "care and feeding" of pets a little more important. In addition, skills like Master of the Pack or Soldiers or Might could be removed, freeing up design space on petmasters for other things and letting pets "earn their own buff skills." It also means that an experienced, careful petmaster who has taken the time to build up several pets with different specializations might be better able to quickly find the "right tool for the job" rather than trying to make his "one-size-fits-all" square peg fit into a round hole.

At the very least, this flexibility allows for the creation of pet designs where a single pet type might be able to have several different "flavors" based on the task that the caster wants it to perform, rather than having a single "every one of these behaves exactly the same" pattern for every pet. Thus, if we're worried that a "heals, restores MP, removes debuffs" sprite is too powerful, split things up to get a "heals" sprite, a "restores MP" sprite, and a "removes debuffs" sprite.

TL;DR: Do we want to think of pets as "micro-characters" and allow them to be customized?
Dissident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobGeneric wrote:
stuff

I think this is too complicated if I have to manage all my 20 pets of single type. What if I chose to get Zombies, Skeletons, and Wights and I alternate summoning them, I will have to manage 60 kinds of pets? I hope I don't have to configure hotkeys on my keyboard and mouse like some strategy game Razz

I think this is cool but maybe just on my Superpet.

Quote:
A pet that is dismissed or which despawns due to AP'ing or MP'ing out would be available to the petmaster for re-summoning (with the same HP that s/he left with). A pet that is killed is lost.

This is going to favor utility pets too much. They would almost always be level 5 Pets while the other pets continuously die on Auras.

Lastly, How will this affect the interface clutter especially in mobiles?
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissident wrote:
BobGeneric wrote:
stuff

I think this is too complicated if I have to manage all my 20 pets of single type. What if I chose to get Zombies, Skeletons, and Wights and I alternate summoning them, I will have to manage 60 kinds of pets? I hope I don't have to configure hotkeys on my keyboard and mouse like some strategy game Razz

I think this is cool but maybe just on my Superpet.

I like the way you're thinking here. You make a fair point that needing to manage this on every single pet would get very complicated very quickly. Limiting the level up mechanic to the Titan pets simplifies this, and also gives them something more to make them more interesting than simply being a bigger Vanguard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Limiting the level up mechanic to the Titan pets simplifies this, and also gives them something more to make them more interesting than simply being a bigger Vanguard.

This would also cause petmasters to try and keep that one alive, a thing only Lightspeakers care about as it is, seeing to it that summoning costs equal rejuvenation costs for most pets. I think promoting a different pet-management for a single pet would be refreshing.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quixotic wrote:
This would also cause petmasters to try and keep that one alive, a thing only Lightspeakers care about as it is

Actually, out of 45 Wyrm Masters, 25 of them have their Titan pet. Out of 56 Lightspeakers, 31 have theirs. This comes to 55% in both. (out of 77 Liches, only 24 have their titan pet for 31%).

Since as it is, the entire point of having a Titan pet is to keep it out and around, I think your assumption that only Lightspeakers care about their titan pet is flawed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
This would also cause petmasters to try and keep that one alive, a thing only Lightspeakers care about as it is

Since as it is, the entire point of having a Titan pet is to keep it out and around, I think your assumption that only Lightspeakers care about their titan pet is flawed.

My point was more about the act of Rejuvenation itself. A wyrm master doesn't care if their wrackyrm dies, they can just summon a brand new one for the same cost. It might be a tad more annoying for the Lich, having to summon 3 skeletons first, arguably.

I just meant that only the Lightspeaker had rejuvenation costs lower than Summoning costs, with rejuvenations coming with bonus (extra AP/MP) compared to raw summoning. With a Titan pet whose level/skills would be lost should they die, all petmasters will have to keep them rejuvenated.
GCP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have question. Bob states that pets that AP or MP out or are dismissed will be available for re-summoning with the HP's that they last had.

Does this mean that when I go to summon a pet type (say, ghoul) I will have a choice to summon any of my dismissed ghouls or instead a brand new one?

Would my dismissed ghouls retain any custom names?

Would I see their skills and/or XP levels before making the summoning choice?

Would the default choice be the new ghoul with no XP (important for panic situations where you need a pet NOW but probably don't want to waste one you've been nurturing)?

If so, this would be awesome from my point of view. As it was, I well remember having my skeletons attack until almost dead during raids before combining them into a FM. In this new situation, you just need to keep an eye on your pets during combat and call them off and dismiss them before they despawn on any auras to conserve them. And not keep them around for stronghold defense. Leave that to the basic ones. Players who don't want to micromanage the non-Titans still don't need to, they can just ignore it.

Related question: When I go to summon my Titan pet, if I have a dismissed Titan in the Void, will I have the same option to summon a new one (keeping the other(s) in reserve) or do I only have the option to summon the one regardless? I hope the former!
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCP wrote:
I have question. Bob states that pets that AP or MP out or are dismissed will be available for re-summoning with the HP's that they last had.

Does this mean that when I go to summon a pet type (say, ghoul) I will have a choice to summon any of my dismissed ghouls or instead a brand new one?
Yes.
Quote:
Would my dismissed ghouls retain any custom names?
Yes.
Quote:
Would I see their skills and/or XP levels before making the summoning choice?
Depends on how the summoning tab is designed because displaying that amount of information will take quite a bit of screen real estate for multiple pets.
Quote:
Would the default choice be the new ghoul with no XP (important for panic situations where you need a pet NOW but probably don't want to waste one you've been nurturing)?
Yes.
Quote:
Related question: When I go to summon my Titan pet, if I have a dismissed Titan in the Void, will I have the same option to summon a new one (keeping the other(s) in reserve) or do I only have the option to summon the one regardless? I hope the former!
My intent would be to let you have multiple Titans "in the void" that you can summon or allow you to summon a new one... but only one could be summoned at a time.
Thie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bob's idea is a great way to give some variety to petmasters. I don't think that basic pets should have much in the way of xp bonuses unless they do something cool. (ie: a zombie doesn't level up unless it kills someone).

Child skills could start pets off at level 2, or give pets new abilities: more mp, ap, longevity, etc.

Moreover, I see this being REALLY fun for a mortal who has a pet. I've considered suggesting a mortal skill tree involving two pets (dog (defense combat) and horse (movement)). This would make the game a lot more fun for mortals as they level. They would really care about their pets and wouldn't mind micro-managing them.

From a technical point of view, I think that dismissing and then re-summoning a pet should renew their AP/HP/MP (basically rejuving them). So concievably, you might despawn a pet before it dies, then respawn it again. Maybe despawning a pet affects unused xp though? Despawned pets lose half of unused xp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: