Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Question on Devout Supplicant
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on Devout Supplicant

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mister_ajax
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Question on Devout Supplicant Reply with quote

The new Prayer child skill "Doubles all chances of Intermediate and Greater blessings when praying". I assume from the calculations later in the skill description that it doubles the base result for greater answers from 5% to 10%. If you pray for "any" result, you get a +5%. Is this doubled, too? Or just added to the final result, so you can get up to a 35% chance for greater answers?

Either way, I'm liking the new prayer. I wonder if the +damage will apply to spells this time around?
Karloth_vois

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Question on Devout Supplicant Reply with quote

mister_ajax wrote:

Either way, I'm liking the new prayer. I wonder if the +damage will apply to spells this time around?

One of my characters is going combat shepherd, because Prayer seems ruddy awesome Very Happy
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether the magic prayer gives a net magic gain on average.

That might be intended though.
mister_ajax
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to Greater Rejuvination; 30 MP all at once, rather than over 15 minutes, will be nice. But, Goose makes a valid point…half the time you pray for magic, you’ll get Light Within (no MP drain for 10 clicks). Since Prayer is the Shepherd’s MP regen skill, having a lesser answer not give you any MP at all half the time is not a nice feature. I would ditch the second Lesser Answer for the magic prayer. Either you get your 5 MP back 90% of the time, or you have a 10% chance to get a better Answer which may or may not get you more MP than you asked for. When you’re praying for MP, you need MP, not immunity to Dark Heart.

One really big change: Holy Conduit only lasts for 5 status ticks. Can't sit in your SH waiting for a HC, and then fly out to your infusion field. You've got to get it while you’re already out in the field and lay down the infusion in big chunks to get the full effect. That or limit your infusion field to the 2 or 3 squares immediately surrounding your SH. That'll have a big impact on Angel factions’ infusion strategies. If the Wizard gets Greater Infusion again, the new status tick limit on Holy Conduit makes GI a much more attractive option. Hell, since you’ve only got, at best, a 30% chance to get a greater answer, and then only a 33% chance to get Holy Conduit, you’ve got at best just under a 10% chance to get it when you need it. With those odds, Salt the Earth is a better option for infusing. This will change things up interestingly…

If some of the Offensive Prayers effect spells…this, combined with the damage bonus for memorizing spells of the same type, plus the Sanctify Spell charged attack…a combat spell-based shepherd sounds like he could be a badass.
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not assume all Lesser (or Intermediate or Greater) answers occur with the same frequency.
Liche

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_ajax wrote:
One really big change: Holy Conduit only lasts for 5 status ticks. Can't sit in your SH waiting for a HC, and then fly out to your infusion field. You've got to get it while you’re already out in the field and lay down the infusion in big chunks to get the full effect.

My interpretation of Holy Conduit is different. From the Change Log:

-- Holy Conduit (next infusion action is at 5x normal strength, but must be used within 5 status ticks)

I believe an infusion action is a single use of the infusion skill. Since WIGBL has changed the infusion mechanics to allow a character to infuse up to 30 MP at a cost of just 1 AP, what happens with Holy Conduit? Does HC only apply to the first MP? Does it apply to the entire block of MP spent? I am leaning towards the latter. But in any case it has huge implications for infusion tactics.

Having a duration of only 5 Status Ticks (ST) is extremely limiting when compared to NW. If you're in your stronghold praying for HC and get it, consider this: -1 ST to step outside the stronghold (hope your door is open!), -1 ST to move off the stronghold tile and you can move two more tiles before losing the effect of HC. Don't bother trying to fly because you won't get any much further than walking.

Questions that need answering: does being Energized take up a ST? If it does, watch out. Well meaning characters could blow away someone else's HC thinking they're helping by pumping more MP into the infuser. Characters better get in the habit of not announcing they have HC like they used to it NW -- spending an AP to talk takes away 1 ST. Avoid Praying near the 15 minute game tick -- once it hits you lose 1 ST and that could make all the difference.

I'm sure there will be other subtleties we need to manage when it comes to WIGBL HC. But from what I'm seeing, Evil seems to have a lot more easily used infusion capabilities than Good. We'll have to see what Tier 3 gives us to play with.
mister_ajax
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobGeneric wrote:
Do not assume all Lesser (or Intermediate or Greater) answers occur with the same frequency.

Ah. I had been assuming exactly that. Thanks, Bob.

Liche wrote:
My interpretation of Holy Conduit is different...

No, I think our interpretations are about the same, it's just that mine was more poorly stated Wink

I suspect that within the 5 status ticks, Holy Conduit will work for each infusion action. As in, if you're starting with 49 MP, you can spend 30 MP to infuse, and get 150 points of infusion and decrement your status ticks by 1. You can then infuse again for 19 MP, getting another 95 points of infusion.

The point I was trying to make is that if you have your heart set on using HC to beef up a remote infusion field, you're going to have to get there, and hope you get Holy Conduit while you're there, because with 5 status ticks, you won't be traveling far.
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liche wrote:
mister_ajax wrote:
One really big change: Holy Conduit only lasts for 5 status ticks. Can't sit in your SH waiting for a HC, and then fly out to your infusion field. You've got to get it while you’re already out in the field and lay down the infusion in big chunks to get the full effect.

My interpretation of Holy Conduit is different. From the Change Log:

-- Holy Conduit (next infusion action is at 5x normal strength, but must be used within 5 status ticks)

I believe an infusion action is a single use of the infusion skill. Since WIGBL has changed the infusion mechanics to allow a character to infuse up to 30 MP at a cost of just 1 AP, what happens with Holy Conduit? Does HC only apply to the first MP? Does it apply to the entire block of MP spent?

The bolded one. Your next infusion action is at 5x strength; if it's a block of 30 MP, you infuse for 150. If it's a 1-point infusion, it infuses for 5 points. Either way, the Holy Conduit effect goes away once it's used.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: