Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Why so few casters?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why so few casters?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZillyBavos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Why so few casters? Reply with quote

If you are someone who normally takes a caster class character and are not or have not, why?

[/b]
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NW, almost all of my characters were casters of some kind, but I'm only playing one character at a time here and I hadn't seriously played a Paladin before, so I'm trying that out.
Suichimo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because its really slow leveling off of books and repairs when no one provides you with broken stuff and you have to search for it yourself.

Gandalf is nearing level 8 though.
Baalhrezem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melee characters level the fastest. Melee characters usually go combat classes.

Therefore, I think not enough time has passed to even out the non-casters to casters ratio.
Jenx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it will take years for my future caster to hit T2, even if he's level 9.
Nobody likes artists, and who can blame them? When they aren't challenging your preconceptions or whatever, or renouncing the boundary between being and nonbeing, they're beating you at games with their nigh mystical bullshit.
Hutz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenx wrote:
Because it will take years for my future caster to hit T2, even if he's level 9.

This. Ulraunt got halfway through level 6 by healing before strongholds started popping up everywhere. Two (or is it three now?) weeks later, he's picked up about 50XP...
ImagtriX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ulraunt got halfway through level 6 by healing before strongholds started popping up everywhere. Two (or is it three now?) weeks later, he's picked up about 50XP...

That sounds awfully familiar. My healer was in the lead 6 - 4 - 3 to my crafter and h2h guy. Then Strongholds came and I'm proud to say he just reached his 7th level... the others are both at 9, knocking on the door of 'scension.

I think in a faction full of emo-sorcerers he would have kept his pace, but there isn't that many sorcerers around yet.

-ImagtriX-
Lejes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as most everyone else. I don't have a spellcaster because neither of the characters I'm planning to make into spellcasters have reached level 10. The defiler is almost there (66 XP to go), but the outlook for the shepherd is not good.
Karloth_vois

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, same here. Not to mention that I've been cheap and not bought boxing with my defiler. 93 XP to go Very Happy

Quote:
Hulk Found To Be Using Performance-Enhancing Drugs
Hoolaparara
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a causing magic seem kinda incomplete if you know what I mean
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched my character from Sorceror to Myrmidon for the simple reason that magic is very incomplete - so few spells, no helper spells, no alchemy.

Skull Face
Chenrezi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the magic system currently consists of the same two spells in several different flavors, and because I got tired of mucking with the weird amounts of CP you spend learning spells, as well as relying completely on finding the right spell while reading for XP...

I'm not missing the aligned combat-casters (Divine Champion/Void Walker) terribly... it always seemed to me like their primary strength lay outside spellcasting, leaving them with a few support spells that could be gotten from factionmates or done without, if factionless. Though since NW shut down before I got to T3, I never did have a chance to evaluate that opinion practically...
ChuckTheRighteous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chenrezi wrote:
Not missing the aligned combat-casters (Divine Champion/Void Walker) terribly... it always seemed to me like their primary strength lay outside spellcasting, leaving them with a few support spells that could be gotten from factionmates or done without, if factionless. Though since NW shut down before I got to T3, I never did have a chance to evaluate that opinion practically...

However, they never had access to spell combat and battle magic back in NW, so the NC, DH, and DH (hmmm it seems Doom Howler and Divine Herald have the same initials... unfortunate) have more options in that regard. Also they should have more time to search so unlike all us T2 casters, they might actually have couple spells they can learn.
Chenrezi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChuckTheRighteous wrote:
Chenrezi wrote:
Not missing the aligned combat-casters (Divine Champion/Void Walker) terribly... it always seemed to me like their primary strength lay outside spellcasting, leaving them with a few support spells that could be gotten from factionmates or done without, if factionless. Though since NW shut down before I got to T3, I never did have a chance to evaluate that opinion practically...

However, they never had access to spell combat and battle magic back in NW, so the NC, DH, and DH (hmmm it seems Doom Howler and Divine Herald have the same initials... unfortunate) have more options in that regard. Also they should have more time to search so unlike all us T2 casters, they might actually have couple spells they can learn.

Good point... of course, I haven't completely ruled out playing a combat caster just yet. That decision will wait until the full T3 info comes out.
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spell combat would not have been broken on combat casters in NW, and at its current cost is overpriced in BW. The simple fact is, you need active MP regeneration to use spells actively in combat without fizzling, with the exception of maybe the DC in NW. Even if they had MP Regen then why would they want to cast ranged spells in Bobwar? Better to spend mp on charged attacks or class abilities.

Last edited by DUMBGoose on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: