Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Should Infusion be Altruistic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Infusion be Altruistic?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZillyBavos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Should Infusion be Altruistic? Reply with quote

I really like the "one-click dump" method of infusion. The question remains, should infusion be altruistic?

Any infuser needs to give up AP to infuse; AP which could be used to help the character progress. Historically, the argument was that "infusion for the benefit of the faction was a reward in itself; stronger faction =..." I find that this argument becomes even thinner in a timed environment, especially with the current caster:non-caster ratio. AP spent on infusion is time off from character development. Maxing the infusion on an SH tile is about 5 full days worth of AP, i.e. one week off.

Perhaps there should be an XP mechanism similar to energize? 1 XP / 5 Infusion? It's a slow rate, but something. (Personally, I'd rather see an XP rate closer to 1/1 - combat characters can achieve a better XP / AP rate with decent hunting, or especially with raiding.)

As it is, infusion is still a chore and costly to the character who does it.
ChuckTheRighteous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been said there will be benefits to infusion. What these benefits are remains to be seen. I haven't heard anything from infusers, so if they are reaping benefits, they've gone unnoticed. Or these benefits may not be implemented yet. Just have to wait and see.
Dergones
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only benefit so far over the NW system is a lack of pain in my "clicking" finger..
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if someone were to develop a class of character posessing strengths/weaknesses that were dependent upon the type of infusion it happened to be standing on.
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Perhaps if someone were to develop a class of character posessing strengths/weaknesses that were dependent upon the type of infusion it happened to be standing on.
I should note here that something very much like this has already been planned.
SuperflyTNT
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in your head, Bob....in your HEAD!

*looks about*

AAAAAAAAHHHHH!! I'm in Bob's head!!! Oh dear lord, no no no!
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former NW infuser, including a stint as a head infuser, I strongly support giving infusers XP for their efforts. Yes, they get faction benefits - but so do those who do other things to help their fellows but do get XP.

It is very discouraging to pour your heart and AP into infusions day after day, fighting for your faction, and yet get no reward for it other than to see those who started at the same time gaining levels and power while you just do the same thing again and again to no personal benefit. Fair is fair - if enchanters (if we have enchanters) and crafters gain XP for their skills; infusers should also.
ChuckTheRighteous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big thing about infusion wasn't that it was so unrewarding, but that many of the classes had no access to it. My LS felt the strain because he was one of the few. Where as my ES always felt guilty because he had enough free time on his hands that he wanted it. I'd love to have the other classes have some sort of access to it. Like more salt the earth type skills. It'd still be stressful, but at least the burden would be more evenly distributed.
Ezekiel
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anything the number of infusers has been reduced with paladins no longer being able to pick up the skill. Which makes sense in the name of the balance. Divine Heralds can apparently still pick up the skill, at a whopping 60CP and presumably some of the other T3 combat classes of other alignments might get this chance..

And IIRC you didn't get XP in NW for enchanting. Which also made sense since enchanted weapons were pretty much mandatory. Very Happy

I agree that infusion should grant some kind of benefit for the infuser, and a nominal amount of XP would make the most sense. It was never fun putting down 70 infusions in a go while everyone else was off having fun..
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezekiel wrote:
And IIRC you didn't get XP in NW for enchanting. Which also made sense since enchanted weapons were pretty much mandatory. Very Happy

Ah, you're correct, of course. But you did get XP for re-pristining things in-between enchantment casts.
EugeneKay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezekiel wrote:
Which also made sense since enchanted weapons were pretty much mandatory. Very Happy

I managed to get by without much in the way of enchanted weaponry. May have been my absurd collections of magical gear, though.

Quote:
<ADK> Maybe he just fancies himself a nazi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jenx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the end my melee NC didn't even have a fancy magical gear, just a +3 or 4 or whatever magical sword. That's it.
Nobody likes artists, and who can blame them? When they aren't challenging your preconceptions or whatever, or renouncing the boundary between being and nonbeing, they're beating you at games with their nigh mystical bullshit.
LoganRuns
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magical weapons were the absolute best only because they never ever broke. If that was fixed, you would probably reconsider getting one of those beautiful +damage, +to-hit, damage-typed, named swords.
also, Bludgeon-enchanted Chainsaw was most awesome weapon of all time. OF ALL TIME!

to come back on topic, maybe XP gain from infusion could come sporadically, like books, or even like *ahem* cult sacrifices *twinge*. The problem I see with just giving XP directly would be that it's not an activity that gives much interaction with other players. You could sit on an island in New Purgatorio, just steadily infusing for XP, and never see anyone until you max out. And that would be so boring for everyone.

Retired: Det. David Caruso, Oprah, X1-Alpha, your hands, Ambassador Kosh
honestmistake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you didn't get xp for enchanting in NW you did tend to get a lot of payer interaction out of it (at least during the bits you were not asleep from the AP overload) which was at least as good as any other reward.
However I think a great bonus might be some sort of 'badge' for heroic amounts of enchant/infuse grinding. Oh and I for one would probably spam away CP on a skill that let my enchanter add an extra level of enchant to maxed items that simply added something like :"this item was enchanted by Ned Kelly" and i suspect that some infusers would feel the same about a skill that let them 'tag' a tile they have put 100's of AP into.
Obsolete
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoganRuns wrote:
like *ahem* cult sacrifices *twinge*.

We doan like yer kind 'round these here parts, boy. Ayup. *spitoon*
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: