Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - How do you find new music?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you find new music?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oblivious

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: How do you find new music? Reply with quote

I look up bands I like on youtube and see what the recommended videos are on the side bar, mostly. I also look at the labels of bands I like to see who else is on their roster. Rarely I might hear something on the radio I like and ask someone what it is.
Ongewitter
Wikinator
Wikinator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do you find new music? Reply with quote

oblivious wrote:
I might hear something on the radio I like and ...

oblivious wrote:
look up ... on youtube

Answered in cuts 'n pastes.
Because I can.
Dissident

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to sites like 8tracks and check the genres I like, especially the indie bands.
Madz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Games.
Sane
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try checking out Pandora internet radio
daeriel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say Pandora too but...sadly it's US-only last I checked.

It really mainly excels at giving me things I already know and like, but once in a while it'll hand me a gem I've never heard before.

Otherwise...hm. I do occasionally look directly to my favorite artists for their recommendations (or the stuff they reference in their own songs) and have found some interesting stuff that way.
oblivious

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the entertainment industry actually actively squats Canadian distribution rights to prevent those kinds of services from being rolled out here. It's part of their lobbying efforts to get laws like SOPA/CISPA/DMCA (the anti-circumvention part) implemented.
corky
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grooveshark and Spotify are UK equivalents to Pandora, might work in other countries as well.
dazed

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second 8tracks as a good place to find mixes that can be a goldmine, but last.fm is really the site i get most of my new music recommendations from; they have a related artists radio but also a list of related artists for every artist which includes ones they don't have any mp3s of for various licensing reasons (who can be looked up on youtube, etc.)
zombiedachshund
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corky wrote:
Grooveshark and Spotify are UK equivalents to Pandora, might work in other countries as well.

I don't know Grooveshark, but Spotify is very different from (and IMO better than) Pandora. And is available in the US too, and is straight up awesome.
GreatCatatonic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the music tent at a cultural festival, ask for recommendations -> buy a CD based on that -> like the band -> go to one of their concerts -> buy a compilation CD that they're on -> like several of the bands on there

Hear a song you really like on the radio

Look for the Samurai Pizza Cats theme song on Limewire by typing in "SPC", discover the Brazilian band Só Pra Contrariar

Have a friend who has a lot of weird individual songs, find out who sings them, go get more of their music

Really really like a girl and listen to all the music she says she likes

--Great
SuperflyTNT
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can do what I did and bear offspring, meaning that you don't have to worry about this question for a long time.

I still get by with all my old Pixies and Zeppelin during the few merciful breaks from 24/7 Laurie Berkner or Star Wars soundtrack marathons.
zombiedachshund
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperflyTNT wrote:
Or you can do what I did and bear offspring, meaning that you don't have to worry about this question for a long time.

I still get by with all my old Pixies and Zeppelin during the few merciful breaks from 24/7 Laurie Berkner or Star Wars soundtrack marathons.

Ha! That's why you listen to Spotify *at work.*

Blessed, blessed work, where you don't have to listen to Elmo's Greatest Hits. (Unless you want to. I won't judge.)
KingBiscuit
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, TV shows.

The UK show "Misfits" in particular has been a gold mine - really good soundtrack that draws from classic blues, stuff like the Velvet Underground, all the way to Massive Attack and La Roux.

A lot of indie groups breakthrough by licensing songs to commercials these days too, instead of going the music video route. Goofy, but how it is.
Dissident

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombiedachshund wrote:

Blessed, blessed work, where you don't have to listen to Elmo's Greatest Hits. (Unless you want to. I won't judge.)

La la la la.. la la la la... Elmo's Song ... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: