Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - DEV TEAM APPLICATIONS FOR BREATH FOUR NOW BEING ACCEPTED
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEV TEAM APPLICATIONS FOR BREATH FOUR NOW BEING ACCEPTED

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: DEV TEAM APPLICATIONS FOR BREATH FOUR NOW BEING ACCEPTED Reply with quote

(Note: Requirements and Roles are slightly changed from last time around).

If you want all of the unrelenting work and utter lack of glory that goes with being a member of the development team, this is the place for you!

Existing dev team members are welcome to re-up (and if I feel the need, I reserve the right "draft" existing dev team members to be on the next breath's dev team anyway), but in general, assume that you are applying for a "one-breath term" of 9 to 15 months (depending on the length of the breath) with the option to "re-up" after the next breath.

SKILLS NEEDED:
1. A thick skin. Seriously. Besides the usual abuse that those that are perceived to have power take from everyone else, you'll have to deal with periods where I ignore you, or listen to your advice and say, "you're wrong" or "I'm doing things my way anyway." Also, yes, I *will* hide things even from the dev team. Don't expect to be told absolutely everything.

2. Be detail-oriented. When you find a bug, you need to try in every way possible to reproduce it, make it worse, and so forth. The more information I have, the easier it is for me to guess/pinpoint what is causing it, and the faster I can fix it.

3. Creativity. There's no substitute for great ideas.

4. Patience. Not all of the dev tools are as easy to use as you think. You'll have to work with what you have (see point 1).

5. Experience playing NexusClash is a must.

6. People skills. Since you will be part of "the face of the game" you need to be able to be diplomatic (defined as the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a big enough stick).

7. Self-restraint. You need to know when is the time to speak and when is the time to remain quiet. As a dev team member you will be privy to a lot of extra information (about many things) and you are expected not only not to divulge the information, but not to divulge or even hint that you have that information. You also need to be able to ignore/drop things that are not important and you need to be able to keep your mouth shut when asked to do so.

8. Humility. Being on the development team doesn't make you any more important than any other player in the Nexus. I see the Dev Team - and myself - as "temporary custodians of the code" but the Nexus itself belongs to the community. This belief is one of the main reasons I'm trying to rotate the dev team around a bit - so people understand that being on the Dev Team doesn't grant you power forever - be nice while you're on the team because that guy you weren't nice to may be on the team (and you're not) the next time around. (Also, the constant infusion of fresh blood keeps the ideas fresh).

When I "release" someone from service on the Dev Team, it isn't necessarily done because they were doing a bad job! It is often because I think some fresh voices are needed (and there's nothing to say that they might not rotate back into the Development Team after a breath or two off).

BENEFITS:

1. Access to the dev server. All dev team members will be given "full admin powers" on the dev server, but only one member (plus myself) will have those powers on the live server (see "Roles I Need Filled" below).

2. In-Game credits. It's not much, I know, but it's something.

3. The ability to help direct the way Nexus changes as it moves into its next breath (including world-building).

ROLES I NEED FILLED:

1. ACTIVE ADMIN - LIVE SITE: I need a single dev who will be the "active admin" on the live server for those periods when I am not available. This "active admin" must be willing to spend the entire breath playing only "role-playing" and "feral" (i.e., non-factioned) characters on the live server. You will have the ability to edit/administer characters in order to ensure that game-breaking bugs (e.g., the "inability to Tier up" bug) can be "adminned around" in a timely fashion. Ideally, this role would be taken by someone who is on IRC a lot and has a lot of free time (probably a student). Please note in your email if you are willing to take on this thankless role.

2. WIKI EDITORS: These members of the dev team will be specially tasked with working on the wiki in addition to ordinary duties (most notably whacking spambots). High levels of wiki-fu - something I suck at - are desirable. Does not need to be online constantly. Again, please note if you are willing to take on this role.

3. FORUM ADMIN: This person's job is mostly to keep the forums organized - moving threads into the appropriate forum, banning spambots, etc. On occasion, needs to lock threads that are getting out of hand. Like the

4. THE VOICE OF BOB: This member of the dev team will be the "public face" of the development team and needs to be good at P.R. The rest of the dev team will be asked to more or less keep quiet about anything not applicable to their specific roles (e.g., the Live Admin may make comments about bug abuse that they have to correct, the Forum admin may tell people to "keep it down" on the forums, but should not otherwise try to "speak for the Dev Team" or for me). Basically, this is to give a "single point of contact" when working with the Dev Team.

5. CONTENT DEVELOPERS: Pretty much the "idea people" - these will be those that help develop new items, planar maps, and so forth.

CONCLUSION:
If you're still interested after all that, DO NOT send me a Private Message here. Instead, drop an email to bobqgeneric at gmail dot com and put "Dev Team Application" in the subject line explaining why you think you should be on the Development Team. The application period for Breath Three will close on August 31, 2012 (which gives you just over a month).

Last edited by BobGeneric on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep Shadok in his current position if he still desires it.

Thank you.
Bigguyinblack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:

Thank you.

Seconded.
pancakes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:

Thank you.

Agreed, Shadok is doing a great job.

<GK> I now have 3 puppies, and 3 kittens, thinking about eating them
Repinuj
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pancakes wrote:
saulres wrote:

Thank you.

Agreed, Shadok is doing a great job.

Ditto.
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit where it's due, Teksura has been helping me to develop event ideas every time I hit idea block (which more often than I'd admit). The idea of a hide and seek game was his, so I'll be handing my own round of applause to him.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tek!

And while that's absolutely awesome, that's not my only reason in wanting to support you.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the time to volunteer I would love to do this. Maybe in a couple of breaths, I'm full of ideas. Good or bad, I'm not sure, but ideas nonetheless.

I've had a lot of positive encounters with Liche.
GreatCatatonic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas are helpful. The rest of the team is there to help develop them into good ideas if needed.

--Great
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applications are no longer being accepted. Thank you to all of those who applied. Expect a response within the next few days.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: