Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Curse of Blood?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curse of Blood?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZillyBavos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Curse of Blood? Reply with quote

Quote:
-- Implemented new Dark Oppressor skill, Curse of Blood (30 CP skill)
* Character gains the "Curse of Blood" innate hand-to-hand attack; costs 1 AP and 5 MP to use. On a successful hit, the target gains the "Curse of Blood" status effect for 30 status ticks and cannot be healed by any means during that time.

What does the Curse of Blood status effect do?
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stops you being healed, the second most important (in my opinion mp drain is a tad more situational when facing defenders) aspect pf Agony Curse.

This ever means that this will be the only agony curse equivalent for the DO with the rest maybe going to the "corrupter" or whatever, Bob is obsessing over CP expenditure again and is planning to make a 180-330 tree out of it or that agony curse is split into multiple status effects.

Status ticks are back again to be stupid and pathetic for everything short of an autocrit.
ZillyBavos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, seems that it's over priced at 30 CP and the DO is a "meh" class. That said, I'm interested to see what is up and coming and how it works with any other DO skills.
Arvo Katsuya
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, we're given more CP overall by the end of the 30 levels compared to NW. It seems fair for some things to be broken down, especially with as much shutdown power this power had.

Would be interesting can take different forms by itemizing what status ailments you can buy with it, to individualize particular DO's into different roles.
ImagtriX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suspecting that the Curse of Blood child skills will not be separate skills that you have to cast separately and pay their own mp and ap costs. Instead I'm guessing the child skills alter the skill itself, as in:

Curse of Soul 60 CP child of Curse of Blood

The Dark Oppressor's Curse of Blood skill is upgraded to the Curse of Soul skill. In addition to preventing all healing, it also causes the victim to "bleed" magical energy, causing a loss of 1 MP per action taken.

Agony Curse 90 CP child of Curse of Soul

The Dark Oppressor's dread curse reaches it ultimate power. In addition to all previous effects, the curse now inflicts a status on it's victim that causes him/her to suffer extra damage whenever he suffers a loss of hit points from any source. This damage is dependant on....

And so on... I think you all get the point. Although turning a 30 CP skill into a 180 one is hardly nice if it is not buffed at all. Increase the effects, or lower the costs... that could work.

-ImagtriX-
Saxony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImagtriX wrote:
And so on... I think you all get the point. Although turning a 30 CP skill into a 180 one is hardly nice if it is not buffed at all. Increase the effects, or lower the costs... that could work.

-ImagtriX-

Agony Curse was overpowered for 30 CP. I agree that 180 CP is a bit too much, but 30 CP is too little.

Agony Curse could also just not be in WIGBL. It locked a class into being a one trick pony (AC+DH+repeat). Also, if I recall correctly, Agony Curse was designed as the all purpose hard counter against Angel high soak and general awesomeness. That's bad game design (One thing designed to defeat one thing). It's static and boring. I'd like different flavors of Agony Curse than just a blanket effect. That way there's more strategic options for the individual Dark Oppressor, making the Evils as a whole more multi-faceted, interesting, and hard to fight.

I'd like for Dark Oppressors to be ponies with multiple tricks. I'm hopeful their skills will have more "oppressing" flavor rather than just random debuff wankery added on because it doesn't fit any where else.

Curse of Blood seems like a step in the right direction. A straight port of Agony Curse in its Nexus War form would have been a step in the wrong direction.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're thinking a basic 30 CP curse, and then branch it off with several child skills, all of which add different things to the curse? Perhaps some 90 CP children of those to make them even better if they focus more on one aspect of the curse?

The hardest part there would be coming up with different kinds of curse add-ons that don't become stupidly overpowered if someone gets 2 or 3, yet still seems attractive enough to satisfy people who buy just 1.
ImagtriX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just the fact that all the addons that make the curse worthwhile cost 60 CP should accomplish that for the most part. If not then make one more child skill and then branch them off at 90 points, and just deliver something that's worth the CP.

Also there needs to be something else besides the curses that would be attractive for players. Flavor-wise I think that Terrifying Visage could get some sort of child skill. Not more dodge but something that puts that "Infernal Crown" on their heads.

Also someone had the suggestion about Soul Shards or somesuch, that would work like voodoo dolls towards the player they are extracted from. That is something to develop too.

Lastly, I know Demons are not supposed to be good on the co-operation thing so skills that buff other Demons in the same square might not be so fitting. But how about that in reverse? Whenever there is a Demon in the same square, the Dark Oppressor gets some sort of bonus. "The more lackey worms you collect, the mightier you become!"

I guess I need to go starting some suggestion threads again...

-ImagtriX-
mister_ajax
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see if/how the stygian bonuses come back. Probably a 30-point skill. Would be fun if you got bonuses not from where you're standing, but from how many chumps you've cursed...
karek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who says Agony Curse was overpowered in NW didn't understand it's effect on the game. People that think Agony Curse was overpowered shouldn't be suggesting balance points.

As for bringing back Agony Curse in it's NW form. Seems about as overpowered as the new Greater Smite. Which is to say massively. With semi-competent Pariahs and weakened Divine Armor the balance for soak is closer to balanced. That being said a 3 damage version or 2 damage version of Agony Curse's damage effect would certainly not be overpowered.

An interesting 90 CP curse would be something like the random target thing from one of the old elder powers. Anything that plays outside of straight up damage or accuracy. Like, say, 60 CP randomly switches weapon with a +10% likeliness to run the weapon you're trying to use for a child curse followed by the aforementioned 90 CP one.

There's certainly a number of ways to do this without going overpowered. Not to mention that curse stacking should have the potential to be ridiculous. It's a 70-80% to hit Hand to Hand attack, meaning it's not even that high, costs more than a fair amount of MP, is class defining, and would require a high number of AP/MP usage. To suggest a 2/3 hit ratio here would be honestly practically true. So, assume 7 5 curses to stack to something that would be "overpowered" and the attempt averages you about 15 AP and 75mp. That's significantly more expensive than any number of 60+ damage attacks in the game currently(GS, Bloodlust, etc.), runs into more RNG than those, and is basically more expensive than Cloak of Holy Radiance used to be and that was considered worthless as a skill that was unsoakable AoE.
ChuckTheRighteous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the curse of blood add ons. The only problem I see with it is you'll look up and see. Oh I'm under the effect of curse of blood.... Which one? I guess you could make curse of blood apply multiple status effects to fix this, but that seems like a rough fix. Still a signature attack like that shouldn't just stop at 30 cp. And I wouldn't make it 1 straight tree. I'd like to see it branch multiple directions to make it more customizable. 60 cp skills that increase duration, add a minor bit of damage, mp drain all in separate skills to give the DO a choice in how he wants to operate.
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could forgive agony curse being diced into a tree if there were new debuffs branching off of the main path.

Painful but less practical stuff like say giving someone weakened skin so they suffer more sunlight damage than a rev for a time and other nasty things. Basically DOs need to make people suffer, it is thematic.

I'm going Wyrm Master with my defiler though. AC was a major piece in the demonic side of the balance of NW and angels did have an equivalent, the wheel was the angelic but slow soak buster but immunes got in the way until they were nerfed. The issue with NW balance between the sides was unnecessary extra favours to good like super judgies, infusion for a time, cults and CoCC.
BobGeneric
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agony Curse (the unsoakable damage piece, not the MP drain) will be a 60 CP child of Blood Curse. There are also some other nasty branches (also 60 CP) planned which will not be revealed at this time.
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay then, mp drain was just gravy anyway.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-- Implemented new Dark Oppressor skill, Agony Curse (60 CP child of Curse of Blood)
* Character gains the "Agony Curse" innate hand-to-hand attack; costs 1 AP and 5 MP to use. On a successful hit, the target gains the "Agony Curse" status effect for 30 status ticks. While under the effects of the Agony Curse status effect, any a character suffers damage, he automatically takes an additional amount of damage (1 point for level 1-9 target, 3 points for level 10-19 target, 6 points for level 20+ target) due to the curse. The target also suffers a -15% to all attack rolls. (Note that use of Agony Curse does not automatically inflict the Curse of Blood on the target, nor will the Dark Oppressor gain XP or receive messages from the triggering of the Curse).

I'm not sure I understand the parenthetical part at the end. 2 questions:

1) It sounds like if a DO inflicts AC on someone, they don't know that they succeeded. Is that right?

2) I'm reading that the DO does not get XP for inflicting the curse. But do they get the XP from the extra damage, like they did in NW?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: