Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Weird Ideas: Advocate Raid Tank
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Ideas: Advocate Raid Tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polymphus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Weird Ideas: Advocate Raid Tank Reply with quote

Just playing around with some more offbeat character ideas, here's an Advocate raid-tank. At level 30, he can soak 15 of everything (+7 from potions, +6 from wing wrap, +2 from Mystic Shield) while dealing 8 Holy Damage and 6 Impact Damage to everything that attacks him. When he's done chewing up petshields, he can drop a huge combat buff (+15% to hit, +3 damage) on the rest of the raid party and start blasting for big spell damage.
Code:
Level   CP   Skill
1   10   First Aid
1   0   -- Saved --
2   0   -- Saved --
3   20   Surgery
4   10   Search
5   10   Sense Morality
6   10   Sense Magic
7   10   Strength
8   0   -- Saved --
9   20   Stamina
10   0   Prayer
10   20   Spellcraft
11   10   Stonefury
11   7   Stone Dart
12   3   Rain of Stones
12   8   Battering Ram
12   8   Mystic Shield
13   10   Sharp Vision
14   20   Spell Combat
15   -6   6 Exploration Badges
15   40   Battle Magic
16   20   Alchemy
17   0   -- Saved --
18   40   Alchemical Transmutation
19   0   -- Saved --
20   0   Blessing of Inspiration
20   -10   10 Exploration Badges
20   30   Wings
20   30   Intense Halo
21   0   -- Saved --
22   60   Wing Wrap
23   30   Anoint
24   0   -- Saved --
25   60   Blessing of the Resolute
26   0   -- Saved --
27   0   -- Saved --
28   90   Blessing of the Mighty
29   13   Force Focus
29   12   Force Bolt
29   -2   2 Exploration Badges
29   7   Reveal
30   30   Cosmic Affinity

Would this be viable, do you think? It drops the class a lot outside its comfort zone, but I feel it could be a powerful faction asset.

I like messing around with the character creator and trying out weird stuff, so I might just use this thread as a general "everybody post your outside-the-box" builds thread. Got anything you want to share?
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you can't have two damage auras, only one; question came up previously re WM with Acid Blood and spell-based aura.

EUPD has a pretty useful Advocate built along these lines.

Skull Face
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Ideas: Advocate Raid Tank Reply with quote

Polymphus wrote:
When he's done chewing up petshields, he can drop a huge combat buff (+15% to hit, +3 damage) on the rest of the raid party and start blasting for big spell damage.
There are a few issues with this.

Polymphus wrote:
When he's done chewing up petshields [...]
SkullFace has already pointed out the problem here.
Polymphus wrote:
[...] he can drop a huge combat buff (+15% to hit, +3 damage) on the rest of the raid party [...]
Area of effect blessings are bugged to hell.
Polymphus wrote:
[...] and start blasting for big spell damage.
You and I have very different definitions of "big spell damage". :/

SkullFace wrote:
IIRC you can't have two damage auras, only one; question came up previously re WM with Acid Blood and spell-based aura.
[Pedant]Well, you can have two auras as long as only one of them is a spell aura. It's just that only one aura (the one with the highest damage before soak/immunity) will trigger defensively.[/Pedant]

On a more positive note... I do have an alt with a similar logic but he's a Holy Champion. He can perform a rubbish blessing* (giving his allies a weak defensive aura and a little healing), tank (water skills and potions can make him immune to most pets) with an aura, and then he can turn into a pillar of fire to deal damage with his fists or with a Cleansing Flame area of effect attack.
Oh, and when he's not raiding he can visit any resource building in just a few AP (can go through any water tiles for 0 AP), search it (the combination of search+water cloak gives +20% to search odds), and carry a big pile of loot back home.

*But not on raids. The bug kicks in.
Xirvi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an archetypical tank Advocate with bonus holy transfer/anoint abilities. Raiding parties LOVE holy transfer and anoint. I like to joke that my Advocate is my scariest character because beneath that pacifist exterior is insane tankage power, capable of demolishing even the largest petwalls.

My thoughts? The blessing skills are pretty much a waste of CP. Powerful ones are handy in raiding situations but sometimes they don't even work and there's nothing you can do about it. If you *really* want a useful blessing, just pick a 60 CP one and leave it at that, which is what I did. I mostly only picked mine (and Healing Aura, similarly useless) for character RP purposes, though.

Whilst tanking, Wing Wrap is great but your real tankage power will come from defensive prayers. I have managed 71% (!!!) dodge and 18 soak by combining WW, defensive prayers and defensive spells (Mystic Shield and Blur.) But you absolutely have to have Devout Supplication, which make your prayers a lot more effective. This is going to use MP that you're also wanting to use for combat spells, so you must choose wisely.

My feeling is this. As tempting as it might be to have some combat ability, I feel like down the line you'll regret having those spells because you're going to want to excel at one niche (tanking/support) so much. You can't even attack in Wing Wrap. Your spells won't be enough to take down fortifications or really do much of anything, so you'll need someone else in there with you while you tank if you want to deal damage in the process. (If you want to be a truly insane tank, you *could* pick up Inviolate Form, but I've never felt like I needed it. In that case, it would be even more pointless to have combat spells since your MP would be used up by IF.)

You could also do what I really regret not doing with my Advocate, and go the enchanter route as well. Everyone loves an enchanter. Even just holy damage (via Sanctify Spell) would make you popular. But YMMV as always.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Build Advice All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: