Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - alchemical recipes.. a little out of whack?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alchemical recipes.. a little out of whack?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoolaparara
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: alchemical recipes.. a little out of whack? Reply with quote

Exhibit A

Potion of Extended Invisibility Batch of Leather (x1), Batch of Mushrooms (x1), Bunch of Lilies (x1), Chunk of Onyx (x1), Humerus (x1), Skull (x1), Small Bottle of Gunpowder (x1), complete

Potion of Invisibility Batch of Mushrooms (x1), Bottle of Holy Water (x1), Bunch of Lilies (x1), Bunch of Paradise Lilies (x1), Chunk of Brass (x1), Chunk of Stygian Iron (x1), Gold Ingot (x1), complete

The whack is definitely out.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow. What is wrong here?
Ongewitter
Wikinator
Wikinator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The invisibility potion requiring more rare components than the XI? That's all I can think of.
Ezekiel
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know your class if we're to judge how rare each of those components is. Smile
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the random (ish) recipe setup you are going to get oddball results at either end of the Poisson curve.

Skull Face
Hoolaparara
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezekiel wrote:
Need to know your class if we're to judge how rare each of those components is. Smile

I thought about that but in this case the less useful potion requires components from stygia and paradise, the other is purely generic components.
Meph

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for the ultra-powerful potions (GI, XI, MR), there should be some sort of restriction on which rare ingredients are selectable for the recipe mechanic? That way the OP situation doesn't happen.

Because what's gonna happen is when a character gets an XI recipe that is that easy, they'll be churning out XI and trading with the guy who has a similarly-easy MR recipe.

Alternatively, you could have most of the ingredients in each recipe be random, but for the high-demand potions, there could be one ingredient (each) that would be universal for all alchemists--e.g., XI would always require a Vial; MR would always require Onyx; etc.
Zaradiel: Looking for his umlauts
Adjatha: Finally, BEER in the Nexus!
Jabril: Stabbing & smithing
DUMBGoose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't mind someone getting potion luck.

Encourages trading between factions with alchemists lucky enough to be your "go to" guys for certain potion types.
Seth
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potion of Planar Protection Bunch of Paradise Lilies (x1), Chunk of Onyx (x1), Chunk of Stygian Iron (x1), Piece of Stygian Coal (x1), Silver Ingot (x1), Skull (x2), complete

Just an example why I'm not really a fan of the current totally random recipes. This is a PP for a sorcerer, and if search chances are similar to nw, it's one of the hardest potions to brew due to having a lot rare or uncommon ingredients, from both planes.
My defiler needs gunpowder for the 3 main potions he wanted to brew mostly.

So yeah, the system is fun for as long as you don't get very silly recipes. And currently you have no way to alter them or have any effect, which I don't like. Personally I'd introduce some way to make players able to alter their recipes (even restarting it from scratch) but for some higher price, so they won't feel like they wanted to repeat over and over again to get the good recipe, but at least they could have to chance to erease the horrible ones.
Ongewitter
Wikinator
Wikinator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really the only alchemist in your faction? Surely there must be someone who has an 'easier' potion?
I do support the retry option, however.
Entomo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things are just hard to find (Onyx only being in Museums, for example), however I think we have a biased view on other components. Paradise Lilies, for example - I don't think it was ever really hard to find them...it's just that they were always in demand because of what they were used for (namely, GI potions). Try to look past the old biases and see if the ingredients you were always searching for were really that rare, or if they were valuable because of what they went into.
corky
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And judging by the amount of onyx one of my factionmates keeps giving me from searching museums for swords, onyx really isn't as rare as it used to be
InvisibleElephant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet I have found 1 in the 10+ AP cycles I've searched... mind you that's for my soul cannon.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InvisibleElephant wrote:
and yet I have found 1 in the 10+ AP cycles I've searched... mind you that's for my soul cannon.

Ditto and now I can't find soul ice anywhere to load with, I've managed to load it a grand total of once so far, and it degraded on the first shot...
Meph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:
InvisibleElephant wrote:

Ditto and now I can't find soul ice anywhere to load with, I've managed to load it a grand total of once so far, and it degraded on the first shot...

Meatbag finds Onyx constantly (searching in Museums, of course). And Soul Ice are findable in Damned Libraries. I have two. When I (my Defiler) get back to the stronghold, I'll get 'em to you ASAP.
Zaradiel: Looking for his umlauts
Adjatha: Finally, BEER in the Nexus!
Jabril: Stabbing & smithing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: