Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Stellavitae
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stellavitae
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rise from my slumber and return to let those of us here who might not otherwise know, jorm had an impromptu Q/A teaser session on facebook last night. What we know so far, all in jorm's words except when parentheses indicate otherwise:

The setting is a mixed world. Different regions have different cultural relevances based on time periods. So the Kingdom of Macedonia is (mostly) orcs, and has evolved to about 200 BC, the Empire of Pompeii is around 200 AD, the free cities are like 1300-1500, Neuland is in the late 1600s. The Caliphate is about 1200 AD, and so forth. The truly "middle ages" areas are Aquitania and Belgica.

In the center we have the Blight, where the fabric of the universe is falling apart and the Corruption dimension is spilling into the archipelago. Why? Because human sorcery discovered the techniques of immortality.

There are *in game* reasons for respawning, character disconnection, time allocation, and pretty much any and every bug you encounter.

Don't want to spend your time hunting down and slaughtering the servants of the god Ba'al (read: goblins and kobolds)? That's fine. You can set down a farm and raise chickens, or paint in a studio and sell your works, or spend your time crafting items of enormous power using a pretty rad crafting and enchanting system.

And you get to *steal time*.

(Gage)What will the mechanics be like? Similar to UD or Nexus War?

Gage: neither nor. Think old-school Ultima or Final Fantasy.

Five schools of magick, each with their own strengths and weaknesses: Bone, Blood, Breath, Sun, and Moon.
There isn't a 'class' system per se, but there is a "profession" system, where you can move around (easily) through different careers, each with their own primary skillsets and what are called "perk trees".
Perks are not just tied to professions. Consider a master smith, who has learned ancient techniques for crafting the most elegant of blades.

Steal time from your future to power your now. I'm hoping we'll be able to do things like (seriously) *rewind* time.

Eventually, you can learn the Real Secrets of the Stellavitae.
‎(And yes, "Stellavitae" is both the name of the game *and* a "thing". It is not a place. Well. It is. Kind of.).

(Brian)Can you give us a rough idea of how you see something like time reversal working in-game?

Combat is going to be more directly turn-based. Events happen. Then you can "rewind", and those events (in that combat - X sequence of rounds) get undone.

(Gage)Is this still a browser based game?

Yes, still a browser game, but pretty much only for modern browsers that support web sockets.

The game platform includes the following things, all integrated: a wiki, a forum, a chat system, and the game system itself.

The forums are pretty pimp. There's (obviously) a set of "out of character" forums, where you post as your user name. But then there are also "in character" forums, where you post as your character (which isn't shown to be your user)

(Brian)So, naturally, more integrated than say, Nexus War was - will there be regional/local boards that you need to be in the location to see? Like, if I'm in one particular city, I can view my city's board but not a different city's board until I visit?

We haven't talked much about locale-specific boards, but I don't know that would be a problem. Chat is already locale-specific (since each island is held on its own server)

(Robert)Talking still costs AP?

No, there's no such thing as "AP". It's a "time" based mechanic.
You'll have a set amount of "sand grains". Each grain represents *real time*. You spend that.
Free accounts will get, say, 30 grains per day. Then you can buy subscriptions that will include more "sand". Subscribed accounts also include an amount of "golden" sand per day. Golden sand can be granted to other players.
You will be able to buy chunks of sand as well (e.g., a dollar for a half hour, say) in micro transactions. The real numbers are to be determined.

(Shawn)I'm curious about group/clan/faction game play and interaction. Will there be like, WoW style dungeons/raids on NPCs? Loose groups helping each other? No groups?

Yes! Grouping is in the works. You can join a group, and set a "leader". This is the guy who moves you on the map. Then, in combat, you each act individually.

(Brian)What platforms will it work best on? Any plans to make it awesome for mobiles?

I'm planning on a "mobile first" strategy. But mobile is second to getting the browser experience first.

We've been working hard to ensure that there's no advantage given to players with high-bandwidth connections. Each action costs "stamina"; you can only act when it recharges.

As far as factions go, absolutely. I love faction mechanics. Hopefully, we'll have a much richer experience with regards to "pre-defined" factions. Like, let's join the Macedonian Blood Squad, or the Nemours Navy.

Here's a bit on the crafting system. You'll learn recipes or techniques or patterns or somesuch. Depending on your skill, you'll be able to use them. So, say you want to make a sword. A sword is a "basic" technique - you need 2 things of iron, a thing of carbon, a thing of brass. Then you make a hilt, a handle, and a blade. Each of these can then be enchanted with their own powers before final construction into the weapon.

Of course, creating things like, oh, a musket, or, say, a steam-powered grenade trebuchet require different skills and techniques to be learned.

(Brian)So, theoretically, we could use something like holy water instead of regular water to quench the blade during the forging process to alter the weapon. Things like that?

Exactly that, Brian.

But you *have* to *know* the technique to ensure that it works correctly.

(Brian)Yeah. Can you experiment and just tinker? If you can, do you actually have a shot at making the item in question, even if it is prototypical? And can you reverse-engineer stuff?

You can disassemble things. And you can tinker, but its hard.
The point is to avoid the Nexus War problem where everyone shared potion recipes.

Once you know something - it's in your "lore vault" - you can *transcribe* it to parchment and sell it, though.

There's lots of kinds of lore. Some stuff is raw knowledge, and collecting it will grant bonuses or perks. Learning, say, 20 stanzas of the "Epic of Macedon" will grant you +10 Mana. Learning all of it will be +50. Etc.

If you manage to recover the entire "Elvish Manual of Arms" maybe you learn new perks about fighting in laquered armor. That sort of thing.

(Brian)Hmm. If I know how to make a blade, and I have plenty of knowledge of how to make blades but never have *actually* made one, would I have figment knowledge? Like, 'you CAN do this, but you don't know how well it will turn out'? Do you get more skilled over time in crafting particular kinds of items?

Well, some skills grant techniques as they go. 1 point in smithing gives you the techniques of sword and daggar, say. But you'll need another 10 points for "damascus steel" blades.

(Brian)Aah. Is there any crossover, or interlinked tradeskills? Like gunsmiths would have to have blacksmiths make the body to their specifications and would need woodcarvers to craft the other portion? Or is it more 'you are a gunsmith, go make guns'?

Yes. You're into "components" then.
The skills are treed. Some skills require profession knowledge.

Clearly we have interlinked tradeskills with things like "Weaving" makes cloth, which is sold to a Tailor, who makes clothing.
Or "Hunting" begets skins, begets "Tanning" for leather goods.
(Actually, I guess we'd go "Farming" begets cotton, sold to "Weaving", begets cloth.

(Brian)Also, I'm lollin' so hard at the ultra lens flare on the site. Nicely done.

There's a point to that lens flare.
I'm not kidding, either. There's a serious, in-game reason for it.

Consider this, concerning Notfari, goddess of the moon, who tunes the Great Apparatus of Existence, stealing time from the future to make the universe survive: "According to legend, eventually Notfari will run out of time to "steal" and the Great Apparatus will cease functioning. Then, she will wake Haephus from his magickal sleep, thus starting the events of armageddon."

---------------------------------------

That's as far as I can transcribe at the moment, friends, but I'll be back to add the rest later. This is going to be good.
and, as always,
Johhan
Kharn
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna need all limbs for that, thank you based Jorm
Ecce
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johhan wrote:
That's as far as I can transcribe at the moment, friends, but I'll be back to add the rest later. This is going to be good.

Wow - I'd love to read the rest when you get a chance.
Vicdarippa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to transcribe the comments, but anyone could go to Jorm's Facebook page and read them there (not linking it, it should be easy enough to find on the NW forum)

Also, have a map: http://elohim.gaijin.com/worldmap-2000.jpg

P.S. The SF wiki doesn't exist anymore, but for those unfamiliar with Steamfront can read the NW thread about it here
Ecce
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full transcription:

Brandon Harris: Can I just say how awesome it is to be working on a game again?

Brandon Harris: Here's the worldmap, for those interested: http://elohim.gaijin.com/worldmap-2000.jpg

Kristen Kakos:Very Happy

Robert Turitto: This looks familiar.

Mark Welch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Serriffe

Brandon Harris: Robert: may be, may be. What was to be "Steam Front" has resurrected into "Stellavitae."

Robert Turitto: I was thinking of saying Steam Front, but didn't say it because I was afraid to believe.

Anthony Bradbury: eagerly awaiting the day i can get banned for making 200 alts again Very Happy

Brandon Harris: The "alt" system is going to be a bit different this time, I'm afraid.

Gage Thompson: Can I just say how awesome it is that you are working on a game again?

Mark Welch: I'm astounded by the rich culture around Brandon's games. I've never played them, but I'm reading a lot of devotion in this thread.

Brandon Harris: We hope to have the site open by the end of the month - mid-April at the latest - for people to create accounts, join the forums, and read (and work on!) the wiki.

Brandon Harris: First Alpha is (hopefully) in May, with a beta in June or July.

Brandon Harris: The setting is a mixed world. Different regions have different cultural relevances based on time periods. So the Kingdom of Macedonia is (mostly) orcs, and has evolved to about 200 BC, the Empire of Pompeii is around 200 AD, the free cities are like 1300-1500, Neuland is in the late 1600s. The Caliphate is about 1200 AD, and so forth. The truly "middle ages" areas are Aquitania and Belgica.

Brandon Harris: And of course, the Elves of Atlantis hate and enslave everyone who isn't an elf.

Brandon Harris: In the center we have the Blight, where the fabric of the universe is falling apart and the Corruption dimension is spilling into the archipelago. Why? Because human sorcery discovered the techniques of immortality.

Gage Thompson: What will the mechanics be like? Similar to UD or Nexus War?

Brandon Harris: There are *in game* reasons for respawning, character disconnection, time allocation, and pretty much any and every bug you encounter.

Robert Turitto: Fricking knife ears.

Brandon Harris: Don't want to spend your time hunting down and slaughtering the servants of the god Ba'al (read: goblins and kobolds)? That's fine. You can set down a farm and raise chickens, or paint in a studio and sell your works, or spend your time crafting items of enormous power using a pretty rad crafting and enchanting system.

Brandon Harris: And you get to *steal time*.

Brandon Harris: Gage: neither nor. Think old-school Ultima or Final Fantasy.

Mark Welch: Old-school Ultima? Do you mean that saying "Tiltowait" will be useful?

Brandon Harris: Five schools of magick, each with their own strengths and weaknesses: Bone, Blood, Breath, Sun, and Moon.

Mark Welch: I played the game way back when, and I barely remember it, other than that silly nuclear fireball spell. "Tiltowait" made it through 30 years of my brain.

Brandon Harris: There isn't a 'class' system per se, but there is a "profession" system, where you can move around (easily) through different careers, each with their own primary skillsets and what are called "perk trees".

Gene Stodolski: Ultima, theres a game I haven't played since I was what, five? Jesus that was a long time ago.

Brandon Harris: Perks are not just tied to professions. Consider a master smith, who has learned ancient techniques for crafting the most elegant of blades.

Brian O:'Halligan I can't freaking wait. Excuse me while I have a bit of a panic attack over here.

Robert Turitto: So, what can magic do now?

Brian O:'Halligan Well, I know that Blood magic is tied to respawning and also increases one's corruption.

Brandon Harris: Steal time from your future to power your now.

Brandon Harris: I'm hoping we'll be able to do things like (seriously) *rewind* time.

Brandon Harris: Eventually, you can learn the Real Secrets of the Stellavitae.

Brian O:'Halligan Can you give us a rough idea of how you see something like time reversal working in-game?

Brandon Harris: ‎(And yes, "Stellavitae" is both the name of the game *and* a "thing". It is not a place. Well. It is. Kind of.).

Gage Thompson: Is this still a browser based game?

Brandon Harris: Combat is going to be more directly turn-based. Events happen. Then you can "rewind", and those events (in that combat - X sequence of rounds) get undone.

Brandon Harris: Yes, still a browser game, but pretty much only for modern browsers that support web sockets.

Brandon Harris: The game platform includes the following things, all integrated: a wiki, a forum, a chat system, and the game system itself.

Robert Turitto: Talking still costs AP?

Brandon Harris: The forums are pretty pimp. There's (obviously) a set of "out of character" forums, where you post as your user name. But then there are also "in character" forums, where you post as your character (which isn't shown to be your user)

Brian O:'Halligan So, naturally, more integrated than say, Nexus War was - will there be regional/local boards that you need to be in the location to see? Like, if I'm in one particular city, I can view my city's board but not a different city's board until I visit?

Brian O:'Halligan And can we TURN INTO WOLVES? Very Happy

Brandon Harris: No, there's no such thing as "AP". It's a "time" based mechanic.

Brandon Harris: You'll have a set amount of "sand grains". Each grain represents *real time*. You spend that.

Brandon Harris: Brian: we haven't talked much about locale-specific boards, but I don't know that would be a problem. Chat is already locale-specific (since each island is held on its own server)

Brandon Harris: Free accounts will get, say, 30 grains per day. Then you can buy subscriptions that will include more "sand". Subscribed accounts also include an amount of "golden" sand per day. Golden sand can be granted to other players.

Shawn Mathews: Mow importantly, will those wolves have hands and mouths?
I'm curious about group/clan/faction game play and interaction. Will there be like, WoW style dungeons/raids on NPCs? Loose groups helping each other? No groups?

Brandon Harris: You will be able to buy chunks of sand as well (e.g., a dollar for a half hour, say) in micro transactions. The real numbers are to be determined.

Brian O:'Halligan What platforms will it work best on? Any plans to make it awesome for mobiles?

Brandon Harris: Yes! Grouping is in the works. You can join a group, and set a "leader". This is the guy who moves you on the map. Then, in combat, you each act individually.

Brian O:'Halligan hngggggggggggggg

Brandon Harris: Brian: I'm planning on a "mobile first" strategy. But mobile is second to getting the browser experience first.

Brandon Harris: Re: Lycanthropy: it's not on my current list but you know I love me revenants, vampires, and werewolves. So probably.

Brian O:'Halligan Bahaha. Then see Shawn's question. :]

Brandon Harris: We've been working hard to ensure that there's no advantage given to players with high-bandwidth connections. Each action costs "stamina"; you can only act when it recharges.

Brian O:'Halligan http://i44.tinypic.com/esl36a.jpg

Brandon Harris: As far as factions go, absolutely. I love faction mechanics. Hopefully, we'll have a much richer experience with regards to "pre-defined" factions. Like, let's join the Macedonian Blood Squad, or the Nemours Navy.

Brandon Harris: Here's a bit on the crafting system. You'll learn recipes or techniques or patterns or somesuch. Depending on your skill, you'll be able to use them. So, say you want to make a sword. A sword is a "basic" technique - you need 2 things of iron, a thing of carbon, a thing of brass. Then you make a hilt, a handle, and a blade. Each of these can then be enchanted with their own powers before final construction into the weapon.

Brandon Harris: Of course, creating things like, oh, a musket, or, say, a steam-powered grenade trebuchet require different skills and techniques to be learned.

Brian O:'Halligan So, theoretically, we could use something like holy water instead of regular water to quench the blade during the forging process to alter the weapon. Things like that?

Brandon Harris: There will be players who are traders, who can open shops and set prices automatically (aside from NPC run places).

Brandon Harris: Exactly that, Brian.

Brandon Harris: But you *have* to *know* the technique to ensure that it works correctly.

Brian O:'Halligan Yeah. Can you experiment and just tinker? If you can, do you actually have a shot at making the item in question, even if it is prototypical? And can you reverse-engineer stuff?

Brandon Harris: You can disassemble things. And you can tinker, but its hard.

Brandon Harris: The point is to avoid the Nexus War problem where everyone shared potion recipes.

Brandon Harris: Once you know something - it's in your "lore vault" - you can *transcribe* it to parchment and sell it, though.

Brandon Harris: There's lots of kinds of lore. Some stuff is raw knowledge, and collecting it will grant bonuses or perks. Learning, say, 20 stanzas of the "Epic of Macedon" will grant you +10 Mana. Learning all of it will be +50. Etc.

Brian O:'Halligan Hmm. If I know how to make a blade, and I have plenty of knowledge of how to make blades but never have *actually* made one, would I have figment knowledge? Like, 'you CAN do this, but you don't know how well it will turn out'? Do you get more skilled over time in crafting particular kinds of items?

Brandon Harris: If you manage to recover the entire "Elvish Manual of Arms" maybe you learn new perks about fighting in laquered armor. That sort of thing.

Brandon Harris: Well, some skills grant techniques as they go. 1 point in smithing gives you the techniques of sword and daggar, say. But you'll need another 10 points for "damascus steel" blades.

Brian O:'Halligan Aah. Is there any crossover, or interlinked tradeskills? Like gunsmiths would have to have blacksmiths make the body to their specifications and would need woodcarvers to craft the other portion? Or is it more 'you are a gunsmith, go make guns'?

Brandon Harris: Yes. You're into "components" then.

Brandon Harris: The skills are treed. Some skills require profession knowledge.

Brian O:'Halligan Yeah, this pretty much sounds like the game for which I've been waiting since before puberty. What is this witchcraft.

Brandon Harris: It is the witchcraft by which I hope to part your hard-earned ducets from your wallet.

Brian O:'Halligan See previously-posted jpg.

Brandon Harris: Clearly we have interlinked tradeskills with things like "Weaving" makes cloth, which is sold to a Tailor, who makes clothing.

Brandon Harris: Or "Hunting" begets skins, begets "Tanning" for leather goods.

Brandon Harris: ‎(Actually, I guess we'd go "Farming" begets cotton, sold to "Weaving", begets cloth.

Brian O:'Halligan Dibs on Mistress of the Blacksmith's Guild in Neuland.

Brian O:'Halligan Also, I'm lollin' so hard at the ultra lens flare on the site. Nicely done.

Brandon Harris: There's a point to that lens flare.

Brandon Harris: I'm not kidding, either. There's a serious, in-game reason for it.

Brandon Harris: Read the source code.

Brian O:'Halligan Hodamn.

Brian O:'Halligan i want to know the secrets.

Brian O:'Halligan So, along with the whole timey-wimey thing, will there be deaths due to old age? I know about the bloodbaths already.

Brian O:'Halligan Because if we're stealing time from our future, then theoretically, we'll hit a point where there is no more to steal, right.

Brian O:'Halligan Or is it 'our', as in capital-'o' Our?

Brandon Harris: Ah. There, with that, you are treading upon one of The Secrets.

Brian O:'Halligan Game's not even out yet and I'm finding The Secrets in the dark like coffeetables. Hodamn.

Brian O:'Halligan SHOW ME ALL THE COFFEETABLES, HELIOS. ILLUMINATE THEM SO THAT I MAY BE VOID OF NOCTURNAL PAIN.

Brandon Harris: Consider this, concerning Notfari, goddess of the moon, who tunes the Great Apparatus of Existence, stealing time from the future to make the universe survive: "According to legend, eventually Notfari will run out of time to "steal" and the Great Apparatus will cease functioning. Then, she will wake Haephus from his magickal sleep, thus starting the events of armageddon."

Brian O:'Halligan Haephus of any relation to Hephaestus?

Brandon Harris: Yes.

Brandon Harris: Here's the full wiktext for Notfari: Notfari is the common name for goddess of the moon, the night, and the passage of time. She is the daughter of Iup and the sister of Ba'al, Hypatia, and Haephus. In some cultures, Notfari was worshipped as a goddess of death. She is known as the Celestial Virgin. In Macedonia, she is worshipped as Artemia, and is there also associated with hunting.
She is: said to reside on the moon, operating a huge Apparatus that runs many aspects of the universe: it sets the stars in their correct position, forces the tides to move, causes time to move foward. The apparatus is in a continual state of decay, however, so she must "steal" time from the future so that her servants may repair its giant gears and springs. The Great Apparatus was constructed by her brother, Haephus, and she took over custodianship of it when he left the moon for earth (see Haephus).
According to: legend, eventually Notfari will run out of time to "steal" and the Great Apparatus will cease functioning. Then, she will wake Haephus from his magickal sleep, thus starting the events of armageddon.
In olden: times, Notfari was worshipped by farmers, sailors, thieves, and others who depended upon the tides, darkness, and the phases of the moon. In modern times, worship of Notfari tends to be restricted to craftsmen and thieves. The cults of Notfari are extremely secretive, and may or may not exist; however, that does not prevent them from being blamed for all manner of suspicious occurances.
The elves: and more enlightened humans consider Notfari to be a powerful elemental spirit of air.

Brian O:'Halligan Huh, sounds like a rockin' deity for the Forgemistress to follow. How will religion work from a PC perspective?

Brandon Harris: The mythology has heavy draw from existing things. Nexus War's mythology was very. . . clinical. Compact. This world's is vague, much closer to our "real world". Many of the deities share names (Iup, for example, is a clear bastardization of "Jupiter", and Haephus is easily "Haephestus"). We have Pazuzu, we have Dagen (Dagon), we have Ba'al. But then we also have Hekata and Mycos. The Court of Heaven is based around four great Celestial Trees of power: the Tree of Life, the Tree of Death, the Tree of Love, and the Tree of Hate.

Brandon Harris: Each tree has its own servant. The Tree of Life is Iup, Death is Ba'al, Hate is Hekata, and Love is the "companions" - three children: Agapos, Eraton, and Philos.

Brandon Harris: Religion is weird, from a PC perspective. There's a mythology. The more "enlightened" your culture is, the more you consider the deities to simply be avatars or manifestations of certain elemental powers. This may or may not be true.

Brandon Harris: There are professions who have "churchlike" powers. Priests, Purifiers, etc. They could just be sorcerers with a focus, or they could be servants. In initial game terms, it depends on your personal beliefs. In the end, it's one of The Secrets.

Brandon Harris: When your village gets razed by a lightning storm, is that Iup being pissed, or is that a powerful air elemental going berserk? Does it matter?

Justin S: Franzen Jorm: I'm super excited. What's your ETA looking like (roughly)?

Brian O:'Halligan Pretty much. However, you mentioned cults possibly not existing/being rare, at least for Notfari - will that be something that players will be able to induct other player into, as a parallel to factions? And do you plan on supporting characters being part of multiple groups?

Brian O:'Halligan Mid-April, as was mentioned upthread, I think.

Brandon Harris: You are on a sea voyage. You don't believe that there are "gods". The sailors dump a chest of gold overboard to sate Pazuzu, the god of storms. No storms come. Did it work because of the sacrifice or not? Who knows.

Justin S: Franzen ‎(too much thread, too many beers). Thanks, Brian.

Brandon Harris: I expect you can be in multiple factions. "Groups" we're saving for local, gameplay initiatives (this group is going to go into the dungeon).

Brian O:'Halligan Ah, pardon. Terminology. So, I could lead the Blacksmith's guild and a Notfari cult at the same time, for example. Do you plan on having the cities be run by players at all, or is that solidly under NPC control? And what about land grants / building construction? Still going to be part of the game?

Brandon Harris: Five basic professions: Craftsman, Farmer, Scholar, Soldier, Thief, Woodsman. About 20-30 advanced professions (so far)

Brandon Harris: Yes, you could do your guild/cult thing. City control by players is interesting; not something we've thought about. But land ownership is.

Brandon Harris: Buy a plot, make a farm.

Justin S: Franzen THE BLACK GOAT WILL RIDE AGAIN.

Brandon Harris: ‎(Jeremy Bornstein is probably going to shit pants at me revealing this much)

Brian O:'Halligan It would be interesting for players to issue mandates and directives which NPCs would follow, such as 'eliminate all Macedonians on sight' or 'outsiders must pay a 50% levy on all purchases in the city'.

Brian O:'Halligan Depending on their relative loyalty and 'alignment', as it were.

Brandon Harris: So, there's a plan for *something* like that. For example, an advanced profession is the "Trader". Traders will be able to set up shops, and define how those shops behave (e.g., prices), and then handle supply routes.

Brandon Harris: In gameworld terms, there's a "unified threat". So most of the kingdoms (including the elves) are aligned against the Blight.

Justin S: Franzen Can players join The Blight?

Brandon Harris: But I doubt we'll get into the whole "this entire nation is my 'pet' type things."

Brandon Harris: No. The Blight is raw Corruption. It is an alien thing. Nothing in history is like it; it exists only to destroy reality.

Brandon Harris: However.

Brian O:'Halligan Well, an entire nation might be a bit much, but perhaps cities wouldn't be out of the question? I mean, I'd live in/near a city owned by, say, The Faithful or Acta Sanctorum.

Brandon Harris: Players will gain Corruption points (usually upon death/respawn). With too much Corruption, the character "dies" - joins the Enemy.

Justin S: Franzen And when that happens they are no longer playable?

Brian O:'Halligan One would assume so.

Brandon Harris: When you die, your body disintegrates instantly and is sucked into the Corruption Dimension. Then, when you respawn, you'll be rebuilt in a Resurrection Bath. This is a Corruptive process; you'll get Corruption points (and have your shit damaged). Corrupt characters are no longer playable - they have a user-faced "perma death".

Brian O:'Halligan So, would they then turn into an Enemy? And if so, how so? An intelligent enemy, or just a mindless zombie?

Brandon Harris: A Champion of Corruption. They'll exist (kind of) but not in any way you can interact with them. Unless you meet them on the field of battle.

Justin S: Franzen I've now decided to devote my time in this game into creating horrible, unstoppable champions of corruption.

Brian O:'Halligan So, the character then goes elsewhere, as opposed to respawning and wandering into town and screwing with people. Will the quality of character determine anything? Like, my forgemistress dies with an extremely high skill in smithing; will that affect Corruption minions in the sense of better-equipping them in addition to her being on the Battlefield?

Brandon Harris: The character returns to their bound Resurrection Pit. And yes.

Brian O:'Halligan Well, I was assuming that the death in question was her Final Death. So stoked.

Brian O:'Halligan Oh, man. Someone wandering onto the Battlefield, and hearing a scream - "I AM ULWYN, FORGEMISTRESS OF NEULAND, BOUND TO CORRUPTION. YOU ARE DOOMED TO FAIL, DOOMED TO DIE. YOUR BLOOD WILL SLAKE MY FORGE; YOUR DEATH WILL BE AS THE QUENCHING'S SIGH." Queue combat.

Tom Spindler: <pedantic> tiltowait was Wizardry I; Ultima III had "Evocare" as its yell. </pedantic>

Ronsley Gardner: I, am keen.

Cy Adora: On bated breath I await my Kings return to the noble computer throne. Willing to bow on both knees to ask for entry into his outter-cerebellus creation. There is one Mac to rule them all. Zealotry is my drink and patience my nourishment, until I can touch the ground in your mind's eyes again. Thank you, Jorm.

Jonathan Ciupek:-Reed The initial interest in this game is sounding to be somewhat larger than the NW crowd was... Is there a plan to limit how many people actually get into Alpha/Beta?

Jonathan Ciupek:-Reed Read: How many Santorums must I sacrifice to gain access to this glorious nirvana.

Moseph Mo: Mozer I am more than interested but you mentioned zepplins... how do these work in game? Can i craft them? Sell them? Live on one? Fuck it can i just be a zepplin please?!!!

Reza Peigahi: Can't wait. This seems to surpass the scale of awesomeness that was to be (the original) steamfront. Glad you're back in black!

Gage Thompson: How do you plan to monetize this game? You always said that's why NW failed. You didn't have a plan in place from the beginning.

Jonathan Ciupek:-Reed Erhem, read up, mate.
"You'll have a set amount of "sand grains". Each grain represents *real time*. You spend that. Free accounts will get, say, 30 grains per day. Then you can buy subscriptions that will include more "sand". Subscribed accounts also include an amount of "golden" sand per day. Golden sand can be granted to other players.You will be able to buy chunks of sand as well (e.g., a dollar for a half hour, say) in micro transactions. The real numbers are to be determined."

Gage Thompson: Ah, I forgot to load more comments.

Jeremy Bornstein: Hey Jorm, looks like people are intrigued by our ideas and would like to subscribe to our newsletter.

Jeremy Bornstein: Zeppelincrafting is on the skill tree, by the way.

Henry Tuttle: I can't wait.
PolterGhost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we can save up our free sand so that we can play in one concentrated burst a week.
Shaitan
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeremy Bornstein: Zeppelincrafting is on the skill tree, by the way.

I. I'm so happy. Crying or Very sad
CyAdora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to send Jorm my money again. *\o/*
Johhan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ecce: I only just got back online to finish transcribing, but yours looks so much better. Smile
and, as always,
Johhan
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email submitted. Hopefully I'll have time to play it a bit.

-Totally Apologetic Elf
Timstro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really looking forward to this. I can't wait to go on this journey with all of you.
Berserkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellavitae gets overrun by hipster Nexals.

I played Jorm's games before it was popular! Razz

Here's to hoping it DOES get popular, unlike NW. >_>
GCP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear!
toxicology
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say "let's hope it gets to whatever the Goldilocks level of popularity is that would cheer both players and devs."

I don't know that Jorm necessarily has the contingencies planned out for, say, MMO levels of popularity.

When I was playing NW (using my steam-powered Babbage Difference Engine, darn kids today and their so-called semi-conductors) the popularity level seemed quite good--but then, that was just after alpha and beta, so the transition to any wider player base was gratifying.
Thie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet around here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: