Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [Interface] Game Interface changes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Interface] Game Interface changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dissident

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: [Interface] Game Interface changes Reply with quote

Since I heard Breath IV code is getting reworked, I think it could use a more efficient interface...

So let's ressurect an old thread:
http://nexusclash.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5998

At 1600x900, this is what I see when playing NexusClash:
http://i.imgur.com/ybBgwBf.png

It looks better when I'm using 1920 x 1080 but if at 900px you have to scroll down for the majority of the skills, imagine it with 1024x768px. Interface should be intuitive and if the first thing I do when I log on is scroll down, there's something wrong with it.

Here's the current proposal:

open this link in a new tab to check if it fits your computer's resolution.

PROPOSED CHANGES
- Split the description panel into 'OCCUPANTS' and 'DESCRIPTION'
- Make the OCCUPANTS a scrolling window.
- Put the DESCRIPTION under the MAP.
- Put a direct link (Maybe a mibbit link) to #Clash to help newbies.
- Include TARGET'S INFORMATION under the Map Description.
- Try and put all links together. (like pets, inventory, etc.)

if we get enough interest, I could continue tweaking on it and stop being lazy

Last edited by Dissident on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the idea of bars for AP, HP and MP. It's hard to notice numbers changing up the top when you're focused on the combat spam.

Don't know if you're going to be able to assure that no-one has to scroll. There's always going to be someone on a shitty laptop like me with a low resolution.
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sac wrote:
I particularly like the idea of bars for AP, HP and MP. It's hard to notice numbers changing up the top when you're focused on the combat spam.
The Nexus Clash Interface Tweak is quite good at that, although it uses different approach. The regular "white text on a black background" at the top of every pain changes colour - the text turning to yellow if your chap has low AP, or crimson if your chap has low HP (the last one can be seen here). I think that the idea of changing the basic colours to give the player a warning is a good one.

Quick question: Are you inside or outside that building? The fact that you can see nearby tiles suggests one thing, but the "You are standing inside" text strongly suggests that you're actually inside. Wink

Overall, I think I like your new look. Thoughts:
Where do Status Effects go?
Moving all movement actions (step inside/step outside / portal actions) near to the map is very good move, but I think that you've gone a little too far. It would be easy to click "Blink/Twisted Leap to the far south-west" every time you wanted to click on "Step Inside", and similar problems like that. Perhaps move some of your coordinates section (maybe the "Neighbourhood" bit) to between the map and the "step inside/ step outside / search / hide" to act act as a buffer zone.
I like the way that some of the "step inside / step outside / etc" buttons change colour when not available... although I think that the unavailable options could be the ones which are greyed out. I think that you've done the opposite by making the available actions be greyed out, but I'm not completely sure.
Could you elaborate on what the various buttons on the top do? I see a "Skills" button at the top, but I can already see a bunch of skills at the bottom of the page anyway.
Could you elaborate on how you've divided the various buttons at the bottom into groups? I'm not sure of the difference between the various bunches of buttons.
Dissident

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------

Last edited by Dissident on Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Mallich
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissident wrote:
Greyed out on the skills not available.
I should have said "white out", I suppose. Looking at the image you've got up, I think that the "Step inside" button is available and the "Step outside /search /hide" buttons are unavailable.
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the layout, but I'm not too fond of the style choices. White text on a black background is straining to the eyes. I also think the skill boxes are clunky-looking even compared to the current buttons, but I get what you're going for. Just remember to move things like Surgery to the left side.

And having said that, I realize that I don't want the attacks automatically showing up as options. I like now that I can collapse that pane if I don't want to attack anyone. I realize I could choose to not select the Combat pane, but that's where you put Surgery...

Thinking about it a little more, I don't like Crafting in its own tab either. Often during a combat, I've wanted to repair my weapon if it got damaged during the combat, and keep using it. I also wouldn't want to have to leave the combat pane behind while maintaining pets. So I think there's some more thinking to be done there.
LoganRuns
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to swap around the Area Description and Messages box. The Messages Box is basically where the game is played, it's where all your interactions between other players takes place, so it's got to be easy to get to. The Area Description... not so much. After reading it the first dozen times, you can just mentally filter it out.

Retired: Det. David Caruso, Oprah, X1-Alpha, your hands, Ambassador Kosh
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoganRuns wrote:
I think you need to swap around the Area Description and Messages box. The Messages Box is basically where the game is played, it's where all your interactions between other players takes place, so it's got to be easy to get to. The Area Description... not so much.

Don't you think seeing who you are murdering, or can murder, is an important thing in a murder simulator?
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
LoganRuns wrote:
I think you need to swap around the Area Description and Messages box.
Don't you think seeing who you are murdering, or can murder, is an important thing in a murder simulator?
Dissident split up what we now know as the "Description" pane into an "Occupants" pane (which lists "who you are murdering, or can murder") and an "Area Description" pane (which lists everything else). See the picture here, or just scroll up the page to the link. LoganRuns was only talking about the "Area Description" pane, not the "Occupants" pane.

At the OP: The year, month, and (usually) day isn't really needed in the message box timestamps and they take up a fair bit of space. Perhaps they could be removed from there, but left everywhere else (esp. in the big "last 7 days" message log page).
Dissident

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said with the OP, I like to try to swap the Chat and Description Panels but alas, I haven't got the time yet. Long vacation is coming and work is piling up. I'll try and address Logan's, Saulres, and other question on my vacation Very Happy

(hopefully I don't get distracted or somehow get dragged to the beach...)
Dissident

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the current proposal:

open this link in a new tab to check if it fits your computer's resolution.

PROPOSED CHANGES
- Split the description panel into 'OCCUPANTS' and 'DESCRIPTION'
- Make the OCCUPANTS a scrolling window.
- Put the DESCRIPTION under the MAP.
- Put a direct link (Maybe a mibbit link) to #Clash to help newbies.
- Include TARGET'S INFORMATION under the Map Description.
- Try and put all links together. (like pets, inventory, etc.)
- Show Character Avatars. This should increase the number of people to donate for custom avatars.

Action Pane:
Could probably still use some tweaks like regrouping the buttons.

But with the current design we can safely say that even using the same old dropdowns we have used some wasted space and minimized scrolling.

OP updated.
Whytemeet
Planeswalker
Planeswalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissident wrote:

Whytemeet donates more money to buy this chicken breast avatar picture...
Dangermouse
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks amazing. I would just tweak the colors a little bit and make sure that everything is nice and readable (red health bar on a red banner?).
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the idea, hate the color choices. Something easier on the eyes would go better. Red HP against red banner? Purple text? Please no. I would also move the Occupants pane below the map, shoving the description further down, and letting the actions be as high as possible. Scrolling up and down and up and down to perform actions gets really tiresome.
pancakes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats awesome!

Is it reasonable to suggest a black background for occupants/message pane? To the the white has always been too harsh on the peepers in the current game and in NW. Black is a lot easier on the eyes. I think everything else is 100% better I like the description being on the sidebar especially because the occupants/description pane takes up so much room it's hard to use the other panes.

<GK> I now have 3 puppies, and 3 kittens, thinking about eating them
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: