Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Glyphs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glyphs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niphy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatCatatonic wrote:
SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:
Niphy wrote:
My issue is raid when i cant dispel glyphs which arent of my MO,which is really stupid.

Why do you feel it is stupid? I think the system as it is works well, if a glyph leaves you alone then you leave the glyph alone.

Because he knows the spell Greater Glyph Erasure, not Greater Glyph versus Evil/Good/Neutral Erasure.

If I can erase glyphs, and there's a glyph over there, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to erase it. Plus, it's just silly in a raid situation.

--Great

What he said Smile
But really,plain stupid that i cant delete glyph because different MO.

GreatCatatonic wrote:

Dissident wrote:
This is bigger trouble when you have a constant glypher in your faction. It means that you should have set your faction to restricted.

In that case, I think the best way to solve that problem is to ask the guy to stop spamming glyphs. I guess I just don't want to see glyphs nerfed across the board because of a problem that could be more easily solved by better management on the individual and faction level.

So how many people have Neutral MO that i could enforce that in neutral faction ,only NC could keep it neutral and even that is hard.
Niphy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this??
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever try punching something which allows you to pass right through it? You fail to do any damage to it every time as your fist wildly flies through it and then everyone just starts laughing at you. And that's why you can't attack it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Ever try punching something which allows you to pass right through it? You fail to do any damage to it every time as your fist wildly flies through it and then everyone just starts laughing at you. And that's why you can't attack it.

I'm struggling to flavor-explain why GGE wouldn't work, though.

--Great
Dissident

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:

That's pretty logical but not really that reasonable considering the game mechanics.

* SH morality forces you to swing in one direction. Even if you're a healer in a evil faction, a single raid will push you to evil and healing in the SH can't raise you back up. So you have to find healing outside your SH OR purchase engineering and light up buildings.

* A single AP cycle probably isn't enough to swing your morality to the other side. Unless that writing in blood.

* The playerbase isn't that strong that you can have a dedicated dispeller of different morality in your faction and lose him in a raid because it will taint a solid MO status for dispelling.

So in a raid situation it's just punishing being optimal and using all your arsenal of things that you can use. This means you shouldn't really glyph against Angels raiding your good faction because your respawners won't be able to get back. Or Evil raiding evil faction.

You can't do creative/epic things like glyph against 3 Moralities and remove whenever someone wants to enter because 2 of those you can't dispel.

edit: changed some brainfart mistakes because its early!
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you think having an evil character in an evil faction makes it harder to dispel glyphs against your evil factionmates, or why you talk about the need to raise their morality to good... You make it sound like it's a bad thing and members of evil factions should be trying to maintain non-evil morality or else they're screwed in the dispelling department, and then talk about the features which make it harder to fall outside of that alignment. But that's not how they work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's mostly a problem for good and neutral factions. while I have only halfassedly read the thread, I like what Great said about GGE particularly being able to target glyphs that don't affect you.

biggest issue probably is what Diss pointed out: if you're the dedicated glyph breaker in a raid (or otherwise) you can only break one out of 3 possible glyphs at any one time without putting a big ap-expense on changing mor. (Most of the time dedicated glyph breakers are Erasure casters anyway.) that means that if anyone is being affected by a glyph that doesn't affect you, you're helpless in helping them out. for good factions it probably is not a huge deal (since that encourages its members to remain of good mor) while for evil factions is almost definitely a non-issue (staying black is ez-pz and you have good reasons to expect all your buddies to do so), but it reallllly sucks for neutral factions, where keeping in the grey is much more of a (meaningless) ordeal.

edit: haha, I just realised this thread wasn't all that long. posting from a phone really warps your perception :D
Niphy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:

Thats faulty reasoning, I know its there, I have magic to dispel it ,but I cant because it allows me to pass trough it !? Maybe I cant punch it but my magic does not have MO and so it should be able to dispell it.

I know the spell Greater Glyph Erasure, not Greater Glyph versus Evil/Good/Neutral Erasure.
Sihoiba
Architect of Anguish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get some specific examples where this was a problem in game?
Lychwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sihoiba wrote:

Sure, I was doing a recap the other day, and came up against a glyph of protection vs evil. Our two bashers were evil--our caster (who had GGE) was not. Why? I dunno, what people do on their own time is none of my business. That being said, it completely stalled the recap until we were lucky enough to have an evil MO caster log on who could use GGE.

It was really inconvenient, and it doesn't make any sense. If you're a mage, and you know how to deconstruct a spell, and that spell is in front of you, you should be able to dispel it even if you're not the target. This is magic, not bashing. I can see where a character couldn't *attack* a glyph of their alignment--that would be fair. But Glyph Erasure should work in any scenario.

Last edited by Lychwood on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Yukari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lychwood wrote:
Sihoiba wrote:

Sure, I was doing a recap the other day, and came up against a glyph of protection vs evil. Our two bashers were evil--our caster (who had GGE) was not. Why? I dunno, what people do on their own time is none of my business. That being said, it completely stalled the recap until we were lucky enough to have an evil MO caster log on who could use GGE.

Pretty much this (only that often I've had it happen on raids too). Neutral factions generally have guys of all mor colours, so factions that glyph often are bound to stop at least one kind of them. Imagine your glyph breaker comes online but oh, he is of the opposite alignment and can't do anything... He bought the spell but now can't really use it... I don't see a good reason he couldn't: the glyph-defusing knowledge is there, the only thing that changes is the moral colour of the caster. They *can* see the glyph, so it's not like they are shooting an invisible target. The glyphbreaker can't also prepare in advance, since he will not know which of the glyphes they will need to break next (best they can do is guess "not neutral" because those are seldom cast).
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an important question is:

Does it serve any sensible function that a character isn't able to dispel a glyph that doesn't affect them? Is there any gameplay or balance reason for this, or is it just an oversight?
(That's from Dracula, by Stoker.)
invisime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:

Protection glyphs aren't the only kind of glyph that one might want to dispel in a raid situation. Additionally, wielding magic, as people have noted, isn't the same as trying to punch something (despite the plethora of folks with full knowledge of impact spells).
Yukari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomppa wrote:
I think an important question is:

Does it serve any sensible function that a character isn't able to dispel a glyph that doesn't affect them? Is there any gameplay or balance reason for this, or is it just an oversight?

I think it does work as an incentive in most cases for characters to stick to the morality of their faction, so that they are guaranteed to take benefit of their glyph breaker.

Neutral factions tho :v
Dissident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actions that forces you to be different.

Healing in a downed evil stronghold so that your Lich can turn those corpses into pets. If you're a neutral faction and wanted to glyph against Evil and Good while your SH is down your healer will suffer from Slowing, Sapping, Pain. And If ever your healer goes to run for FAKs he won't be able to get back with a Protection. You might ask why glyph then? Because in theory, you can keep it up and dispel it with coordination with the healer and put it back up again. Efficiency and Cooperation. But you can't even pull that.

Ideally, that Healer should be the dispeller so that he/she can dispel those affecting him easily but Nexus isn't built to make someone tunnel vision on a certain build (and the devs are trying get rid of for next breath). It's the diversity of builds that's fun to see.

Or getting Glyphed in your own SH after a raid and your dispeller is an Evil Lich in a good faction which happened just yesterday to Overpowered Republic.

I can actually accept the answer "Just don't glyph! You Moron!" But then it pains me that the the answer to being efficient and deadly (Having a constant glypher and dispeller on call) is be less efficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: