Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Imbalance of wisp form.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imbalance of wisp form.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Imbalance of wisp form. Reply with quote

Wisp form, why bother making hordes. After constant such encounters I have chosen to retire my pet masters.

Quote:
The King In Yellow bows in greeting. (2015-10-16 17:16:34).
- (4 times) The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. (2015-10-16 17:16:57).
- Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul has despawned. (2015-10-16 17:17:03).
- The King In Yellow attacked Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul with an Hatchet , killing it! (2015-10-16 17:17:03).
- The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. This was enough to kill your pet! (2015-10-16 17:17:03).
- (2 times) The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. (2015-10-16 17:17:14).
- The King In Yellow attacked your pet Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul with an Hatchet and missed! (2015-10-16 17:17:22).
- (2 times) The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. (2015-10-16 17:17:32).
- Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul has despawned. (2015-10-16 17:17:36).
- The King In Yellow attacked Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul with an Hatchet , killing it! (2015-10-16 17:17:37).
- The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. This was enough to kill your pet! (2015-10-16 17:17:37).
- (4 times) The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. (2015-10-16 17:18:00).
- The King In Yellow attacked your pet Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul with an Hatchet and missed! (2015-10-16 17:18:06).
- Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul has despawned. (2015-10-16 17:18:12).
- The King In Yellow attacked Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul with an Hatchet , killing it! (2015-10-16 17:18:12).
- The King In Yellow attacked your pet, Straightjacketed Lunatic, a(n) Ghoul, with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. This was enough to kill your pet! (2015-10-16 17:18:12).
- The King In Yellow beckons to the damned and the doomed. He whispers, "HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIGN?" (2015-10-16 17:18:32).
- (3 times) The King In Yellow attacked you with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. (2015-10-16 17:19:28).
- The King In Yellow attacked you with an Hatchet and hit for 13 points of arcane damage. This was enough to kill you! (2015-10-16 17:19:32).

That is redonculous for a few reasons.

A. The conduit gets the xp for each pet they tank with impunity, because of pet immunity. No other tank can get xp like this, IB and Seraph auras nuking the pets as soon as they attack one. Imbalanced on the xp front.

B. The pet master building a horde, I see no point in wasting time / xp / ap to do so with such a skill in the game. My 300CP invested in summoning pets made redundant for 30CP.

C. It destroys feral petmaster play, I for one don't enjoy playing faction based pet summoning, its dull. Sitting and cutting, repeat. I prefer a more blitze summon and roam style. But this skill is used daily to nuke my horde for huge amounts of XP to the Conduit. This forces faction pet master play and I for one won't be niched like that.

D. My pets give reduced xp for the kills they make for me (this is not a complaint, its a fact for the point I'm about to make) but I can run a corruptor or VW without this redundant 300CP investment shut down by 30CP skill. They can kill 3-5 peeps in a tile for more XP than the pet master and not suffer at the hands of wisp form. Whitch begs the question...

Why bother wiith the micro management and reduced xp to be made redundant with a 30 CP skill? When I can just make , as an example Corruptor that does not suffer from this redonculous skill for the above reasons and reaps more xp from hunting than the PM can. I make this point on the xp not as a complaint, as it would be fair if the pets (300CP investment and months of leveling) didn't get shut down by a 30 CP skill.

My reaction after seeing wisp form in action over and over AGAIN feral hunting. EVERY DAY THE SAME FATE, WISP FORM!. I have retired my Petmasters, I see no point in wasting time / resorces / ap / xp and micromanagement to be made redundant for little investment plus the xp farming imbalance compaired to other tanks. It dumps all over the feral Petmasters time and efforts.

In Summery: I retire my petmasters, 300CP and the months of xp wasted to be made redundant for 30cp.

In short, imbalanced as hell! As it stands in game I will loose interest fast as my main is a Petmaster. My general oppinion is after I finish running the competition I am running, I just walk away. I can't invest in a game that has something this imbalanced, making my 300CP and time investment on a character redudant.

IT'S REDONCULOUS! Evil or Very Mad
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the creator of the Conduit, this is not what wisp is meant to be used for. Wisp is meant to turn pets defensive, not passive. Attacking a pet should get your face mauled in. King is definitely not using wisp as it was intended to be used.

Oh well. That's what happens with balance. You have to keep tweaking it.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like a bug than a feature.
(That's from Dracula, by Stoker.)
kiwimage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lich and a conduit.

I use wisp form for the 0ap traveling. But it's nice being immune to stumbling across a petmaster. One of the reasons I didn't like wizards last breath. I haven't bothered with learning a combat skill there. Crafting/enchanting gives lots of xp

Playing as a lich this breath and the last. I've been killed by wisp form conduits a couple of times. It happens. Pet masters aren't meant to be all powerful. They have classes that kill them pretty. Especially actives. Balances out being exceeding deadly to all others. Mr Scavvy often doesn't have time to emote. The pets are permanently set on non-allied because the times I've relented for emoting some active has come along and killed me.

As it is I suppose wisp form conduits have it easiest in that they are impervious in wisp form but being in wisp form means the conduit is active. A conduit not in wisp form is dead very quickly. Wispform is 10minutes. Can't be stacked.
A lot of active characters are going to kill pet masters. I'd say a pet master is unlikely to survive much longer than 2-3hours before being nailed by one unless they are holed up somewhere remote.
Active Seraph? Pets are going to fry and pet masters going to die. Even a sleeping seraph is deadly to a horde. That aura kills pets so quickly.
Active glass cannons can manage it if they are quick enough.
Active NC. Tattoo of Adaptation+one potions and they are likely immune.

If it is a problem and I'm not sure it is.
Reverting to a wisp form only works if the conduit doesn't attack. Doesn't bother me. Though conduits can get pretty good soak and dodge and an aura. Bit more effort but given petmasters are priority targets because they are so deadly I don't know if it would change much.
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, as you know, I play both.

Does it not come back to the fact that balance is achieved through the fact that different classes are stronger and weaker against others?

Yep if a conduit in wisp catches a petmaster in the wild he has the upper hand. But at the same time a petmaster with a "horde" can walk into a building with a dozen characters in it and clear them, which can't be done by anyone else. A petmaster caught outside can just as easily be picked off by a ranged character flying and there's no way that's going to be changed.

The advantage the conduit has is quite situational. It doesn't transfer to a situation like a raid, because generally, the conduit doesn't have the hitting power to punch through cades and snipe the petmasters.

I think it's the fact that the petmaster has one weakness and this is it and it requires adaption to negate/avoid it.
Aidan
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TL;DR version of Cleaver's post, because while informative, it is a bit more angry since he is already running petmasters unlike me (and I have a Conduit, lol):

1) Wisp Form, besides being a good traveling skill, is supposed to make a traveling/accompanying Wispy Conduit immune to pet attacks.

2) Wisp Form has, in addition to the above feature, made Wispy Conduits immune to pet retaliation, both single pet and multi pet.

3) With enchanting skills, a Conduit can reach 15 arcane damage. 4 AP to destroy a ghoul means the lone Conduit can destroy up to 15 ghouls. The problem with this is that the Conduit does this without provoking a ghoul and suffering damage like all other T3s.

4) With Enchanting skills and the Reveal Weakness tree, a Conduit can pick off a petmaster from behind the forts in 20 AP without triggering pets, potentially killing up to 20 ghouls in 20 AP. This makes a Wispy Conduit better than a tank at taking down a petwall.

-------------------------------

With the problems in mind, several solutions present themselves, which I wanted to list present in order of preference/ease of implementation, but now they are just random since I am lazy.

1) Wisp Form no longer allows attacking.

Flavorfically, a Wispy Conduit has given up his material body to form a magical mist thing that cannot properly wield a hatchet or draw back a bowstring. This would be similar to the Revenant's Shadow of the Wolf without any innate attacks.

2) Wisp Form triggers retaliation from pets when attacking a pet, or the petmaster.

Flavorifically, a Wispy Conduit 'solidifies' when he uses his weapons, and there's a brief window of opportunity in which pets _can_ attack the Conduit. This will rapidly lower the Conduit's tanking potential and bring it in line with other support classes. Implementation might be tricky since I can't remember any skills that function like this.

3) Wisp Form is now a multi-tiered skill. The 30 CP skills gives you all the current Wisp abilities _except_ pet immunity. The 60 CP child skills (Empowered Wisp) makes you immune to pets and allows you to attack pets without suffering retaliation (attacking petmaster will trigger retaliation). All attacks suffer a damage penalty.

Flavorifically, the Wispy Conduit has learned to selectively solidify and and wispify his body to evade pets that 'venture into the magical mist'. Petmasters are too clever to be lured into such a trap. This option will allow enterprising pseudo-tanky Conduits that have paid a 90 CP price to be able to murder pets with impunity, but with difficulty. The important call here is whether pet immunity is a necessary aspect of Wisp Form.

EDIT: To reply to Sac, I don't think Conduits are supposed to have a upper hand against petmasters _surpassing_ a Tank. I am fine with the occasional Wispy Conduit pseudo-tank that murders the life out of an unprepared petmaster, but when you crunch the numbers, the Tank should always come out on top. As it is right now, two Conduits in Wisp Form CAN take down the forts and kill all the petmasters, all the while suffering no damage in the process.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept tanks beat petmaster, but the fact of the matter stands wisp form makes a Conduit a better tank than the ACCTUAL tank classes. While;

A. Feasting on xp no other tank can have, in both raid and feral format.

B. Destroy a pet master and as Aidan said killing 20 ghouls with impunity, again while getting XP that other tanks don't see doing the job they are built for. A Conduit does it more efficiently.

C. No loss of hp while tanking like this, not even in incremental amounts that you see Seraphs and IB's taking, oh and they get way less xp.

Do the math on the ghouls, average at T3ghoul kill gets you about 8-12 xp depending on the Liches level, mean average 24 xp for killing the Lich. Now tell me thats fair to the acctual tanks that get about 40 ish xp over all because of the auras frying the pets. (there is a discusion about this elsewhere).

Not to mention the pet master destruction, but I will reitterate some facts.

Mortals generally don't provide xp to the Horde (level and the reduction of the pet killing), yet a normal hunter they do, maybe 1 or 2 xp, but still xp. As for room whiping, my Corrupter / VW can clear a room filled with 4-5 people alone, they get good xp for this (undiminished like the petmmasters pets killing). Get the point, that is the balance of the pet masters power. Something few remember when petmaster bashing.

A horde also takes ap / resorces and MP to make for said diminished XP.

I agree, the pet master weakness should be the TANK classes, not a support class that in currant form out tanks the tanks! While doing it way more efficiantly.

Whisp form decimates a horde I may spend days making at ABSOLUTLY no risk, for big xp rewards. Unlike any other tank, that may have a minimal risk v a 20+ horde. (all my other points have been stated above).

I get people will outcry about such an OP abillity being changed to what it was initially intended to do. Whitch is....

If you're none agressive, the pets do not attack you.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaelCleap wrote:
I agree, the pet master weakness should be the TANK classes, not a support class that in currant form out tanks the tanks! While doing it way more efficiantly.

Wisp form only out-tanks the tanks in this one instance. And they are burning MP every step they take with it.

You think it's not fair that conduits who have bought wisp form can kill your horde. Others think it's not fair they step inside a building and are killed by a horde before they can even mash the button to get back out again. This is the way things work - everyone is going to be weak against something.

One of my factions was taken down recently by a couple of petmasters who strolled in and did nothing after beating the wards down but stand there while the pets ate everyone. I am not screaming for petmasters to be removed from the game.

Defensive versus passive might be considered, but turning the entire horde against the Conduit if he attacks one pet might be overkill. Let's think what the balance should be.
klapaucius
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad murdering liches directly in wisp form. When my conduit sees one, he kills a few ghouls in pet tax and moves on. I guess that means I think the skill is a bit powerful for dealing with pets, since I'm usually all about the murder. Changing it to be a non-offensive skill makes sense to me.

Also a side note: while I agree that wisp form is a little weird and possibly overpowered, it's a purely selfish skill. While tanks can protect a whole raid team and do so in an enemy stronghold, wisp form is a bit more restricted. Sure you can kill the enemy ghouls directly but that is slow and asking for active resistance.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
RaelCleap wrote:

Wisp form only out-tanks the tanks in this one instance. And they are burning MP every step they take with it.

You think it's not fair that conduits who have bought wisp form can kill your horde. Others think it's not fair they step inside a building and are killed by a horde before they can even mash the button to get back out again. This is the way things work - everyone is going to be weak against something.

One of my factions was taken down recently by a couple of petmasters who strolled in and did nothing after beating the wards down but stand there while the pets ate everyone. I am not screaming for petmasters to be removed from the game.

Defensive versus passive might be considered, but turning the entire horde against the Conduit if he attacks one pet might be overkill. Let's think what the balance should be.

This is the price we pay.

RaelCleap wrote:
Mortals generally don't provide xp to the Horde (level and the reduction of the pet killing), yet a normal hunter, they do, maybe 1 or 2 xp, but still xp. As for room wiping, my Corrupter / VW can clear a room filled with 4-5 people alone, they get good xp for this (undiminished like the petmmasters pets killing). Get the point, that is the balance of the pet masters power. Something few remember when petmaster bashing.

A horde also takes ap / resources and MP to make for said diminished XP.

Last points: 300CP investment on pets (or about 250CP investment on a tank, fair comparison for conflicting power) v 30CP investment of the Conduit that makes pets redundant. Yet you point the finger at the petmaster who for all its efforts and investment, gets diminished returns in xp using pets to kill. Just to justify making a support character a tank rather than support. When judging how the skill reads, its intention is to not to wipe out hordes, but to let the Conduit move through a horde as long as they are passive.

There isn't a justification for Wisp form, its imbalanced v tanks cos of the pet xp, it down right makes pet masters redundant. Why should I waste my ap /mp / time summoning just so you can have a feast of xp with impunity... Naaaa, I'm not having that. Specially after the diminished returns in xp from pets killing (that more than balances the horde, I could go into petmaster balance but that deserves a thread unto itself).

The Tanks are what Pet hordes are weak to, NOT a support character!
retsamajnin
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone in the game is weak to pet masters except tanks and conduits. They are INCREDIBLY powerful. Conduits hardly make them redundant. This is a case of complaining because you want the game specified to your exact play style. I will admit that wisp form is quite powerful, but this is an overreaction to a skill that has been in the game for some time now and functioned exactly as it does now. It has not vastly affected gameplay previously. If you want to ambush everyone as a feral pet master, you should expect resistance, because frankly, it is annoying to most players. As far as conduits replacing tanks in raid situations, it is not that viable. I am in a raiding faction with a conduit that has combat abilities. It can sort of work but killing over forts is hardly as easy as all that and it typically requires some bashing before it becomes wise to attack a PM with a conduit. Conduits are not a replacement for proper tanking.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retsamajnin wrote:
Everyone in the game is weak to pet masters except tanks and conduits. They are INCREDIBLY powerful. Conduits hardly make them redundant. This is a case of complaining because you want the game specified to your exact play style. I will admit that wisp form is quite powerful, but this is an overreaction to a skill that has been in the game for some time now and functioned exactly as it does now. It has not vastly affected gameplay previously. If you want to ambush everyone as a feral pet master, you should expect resistance, because frankly, it is annoying to most players. As far as conduits replacing tanks in raid situations, it is not that viable. I am in a raiding faction with a conduit that has combat abilities. It can sort of work but killing over forts is hardly as easy as all that and it typically requires some bashing before it becomes wise to attack a PM with a conduit. Conduits are not a replacement for proper tanking.

It is not, it is a call for balance. It is imbalanced v tanks yield of xp, it is imbalanced v a petmaster. Yes it is broken and overpowered and discourages feral play as PM.

I find WM very underwhelming when it comes to power. *Shrugs*

Guess what happens to my pet masters daily? Yeah Conduit death exactly like the original post. That is broken, there is no justification for it for the multitude of reasons given.

A support character should not tank better than a Tank for a better yield of xp. Witch in its currant form wisp form does!

I expect people to be negative in my opinion on wisp form. Who wants their shiny OP ability that's 30CP cheap, to be made to function as it was intended? Exactly, they don't! As it is abused daily.
Aidan
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retsamajnin wrote:

Overreaction... well, the OP did get a bit emotional, hehe, but if you look past that, you can definitely see _why_ the OP is upset and the perceived OPness of Wisp Form. Wisp Form is a very good traveling skill, to the point that it would still be a Conduit staple even if it had no prepackaged pet immunity (consider the brilliant combo with a sapping flare). I don't want to do away with the pet immunity aspect either since IMO, it is a _very_ flavorful aspect of the skill. I, and I assume Rael too, want it altered to remove what seems like a bug more than a feature.

Doesn't Reveal Weakness raise the damage floor across forts? Also, the two Conduit situation that I mentioned earlier. Why is it _not_ viable? If it's a lack of coordination situation, I don't think that does not make the combination OP in the right hands, and I don't like how inexperienced those right hands can be. Please do not bring up Archons and how they can solo a SH in the right situations since that requires, IMO, a solid CP investment and the Archon can still get gibbed by pets. Working as intended.

A feral petmaster is difficult to play, and a factioned petmaster signs his death warrant at the door. Yes, petmasters are guaranteed to win against unprepared foes. I've never liked that aspect of them. Whether petmasters need to be nerfed is not what this thread is about, though, and their perceived OPness has nothing to do with nerfing Wisp Form, unless Conduits are specifically intended as a check for petmasters. I don't discount this possibility, note, but I would like devs to confirm that before dropping the argument.

I've never before noticed this possible combo. Nor has Rael. What has happened earlier is not really the best reason to not change things now since it's close enough to Halloween that we can ask the ghost of the past in person to stop haunting us Very Happy
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadok wrote:

As the creator of the Conduit, this is not what wisp is meant to be used for. Wisp is meant to turn pets defensive, not passive. Attacking a pet should get your face mauled in. King is definitely not using wisp as it was intended to be used.

Oh well. That's what happens with balance. You have to keep tweaking it.

---^---
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way Shadok put it. Seems to me a reasonable solution is, if someone in Wisp Form attacks a pet, the pet and its horde should be able to retaliate. But if the Wisp Form character just stands on the square and says "Nyah nyah nyah, silly pets not playing with me," that should be fine.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: