Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Enhanced Senses for 60 CP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhanced Senses for 60 CP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ten_of_swords
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Enhanced Senses for 60 CP Reply with quote

ES as a 60 CP myrmidon skill seems fairly expensive. Is it more an AP saving skill or is it really informational?

At night with lights on, a building tile will reveal moving shadows. In the day, lights on, the tile tells you nothing.

Now if you had ES, would this location give more info, urging you to step inside the building? Or would you need to guess based on what you know of buildings people like to stay in?

If you need to guess no matter what, deciding to enter or to move on, if analog pvp still beats digital, then ES is an AP saving skill that forgoes a few searches and is best for that corner stepping VW.

Thoughts on this?
Quixotic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed ES only tells you if someone is hiding on the current tile you are. If you are outside a tile and somebody is hiding inside, it will not give you any information about it, you would only see the character if you step inside.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadows only show up when it's night AND lights are on AND someone is inside the building AND they are not hiding. They're valuable for hunting, but it's not reliable. ES doesn't give you more info unless you step inside, but it means that you can actually poke around from building to building without wondering if you should keep searching. VWs do benefit from it the most, but it's still great for pretty much everyone else. (And while Meditation is not wonderful, it's not a bad skill in its own right.)

The only caveat I would offer is that you may consider skipping it if you're going to become a Revenant, since their Animus of the Wolf & Bat grant ES. (And their nightly regen devalues Meditation a bit as well.)
Dissident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also negate 8 damage from Shadow Dancers! Laughing
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for perspective: The Myrm is currently the most underpowered of the tier 2 melee classes. However it is also one of the most popular and players of it tend to spend the least time in tier 2.

This is almost entirely due to ES and it's ability to add targets which the Myrm would otherwise not know about.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
klapaucius
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add: Targets you find with ES tend to be, on average, significantly better than those you find by checking shadows.

However, I honestly didn't get much mileage out of ES on my then myrm now revenant. Maybe just bad luck or maybe I never developed the knack for checking the right buildings, but in the end I stopped going inside and just looked for shadows/stray zombies.
Dissident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rev mainly leveled using ES and sleeping outside too. 4-5 average kills per AP cycle. But that was back then...I wonder if I can hunt as efficiently if I made a new myrm now.
Yukari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't work anymore. Early in this breath I would also find many targets a day via ES on my myrm. 5 per cycle sounds about right. Currently, same alt, an ES with WoL and all the offensive skills (less ap spent hunting/killing), can consider himself lucky if he finds a single person in an ap cycle.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WoL ES is generally finding 1-2 targets of T2 or higher per cycle, for what that's worth. Have had a couple jackpots of finding T3s hiding outside as well.

Having ES doesn't fix the issue of everyone hiding in strongholds, but i don't think there's a better hunting skill in the game.
Niphy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissident wrote:

no you cant
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niphy wrote:
Dissident wrote:

no you cant

This is correct. The only thing it does is allow you to keep attacking them while they are jumping between hiding and attacking, which is basically the strongest counter to them.
Lagn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meditation is not a useless skill.
Kiralio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty close to useless on a Revenant, but I can see how the other exits would get more use out of it.

e: I may also be biased because I take First Aid -> Surgery on every good or neutral character and a substantial minority of evils.
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meditation on a Revenant: You'll be happy you have it when you forget to wait until night to respawn, or get stuck with certain demonic damage-on-action attacks and need to get back to the safety of your SH.
Kiralio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't make much of a case for it. Planning ahead and not making basic goofs is cheaper than character points.

e: I actually ended up taking it on my Rev anyways because I didn't expect to use repairable weapons on that character and had to spend the points on something to get to T3. If I could go back I would have spent all of that on the Smithing tree instead, though, since I eventually learned it anyways.

And this is on a character with three and a half CP badges, so he's already got some leeway to take dumb stuff. A fresh character wouldn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: