Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Online Roleplaying/D&D?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Roleplaying/D&D?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azyure
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Online Roleplaying/D&D? Reply with quote

Has anyone else here ever done any kind of forum based roleplaying, or D&D before?

I haven't been here for too too long, but I've already seen that there are some of you out there who really get heavily invested in the roleplaying aspect of NC, and others have already said that you're into those types of roleplaying games.

So my question to everyone here, do YOU have a favorite roleplaying system? (and why isn't it world of darkness?) Or if you haven't tried any, why not!

Would anyone here be interested in a kind of forum based D&D game? I'd totally be down to run something with a small group. Smile
UsernamePending
Custom Title
Custom Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tek and Shadok have D&D games going on on Tangled Web. I'd link it, but the bookmark is on my home computer.

Put Skoffin the first time. I blame names.
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW IS 42 KILLS AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWOOOO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: IS ONLY AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW DO YOU GET AN S ON LEBLANC
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little D&D with some buddies on comms. We used a channel in our Slack group that has a bot for dice rolls. I'd be interested in trying something similar.
Skoffin
Not Skoffin
Not Skoffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play D&D in person, then briefly tried online before the team fell apart. I would be interested in joining a game.
UsernamePending
Custom Title
Custom Title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thetangledweb.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2419-The-Arising-of-Alora

The D&D site previously mentioned.
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW IS 42 KILLS AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWOOOO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: IS ONLY AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW DO YOU GET AN S ON LEBLANC
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in person fairly often but I've not really played online. I'd definitely be interested in joining a game (preferably if it were D&D 5e or Pathfinder, but I'm happy to try other systems).
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoffin wrote:
I used to play D&D in person, then briefly tried online before the team fell apart. I would be interested in joining a game.
Hey, I remember that game. It was really fun. I built my fighter to be basically unkillable just to annoy Skoffin. We'd go whole fights and I'd barely even have a scratch on me after having tanked all the enemies.

That was an awfully broken fighter build.

I've done a lot of other games. Mostly on forums as a play by post nowadays but I used to do a lot of live games using maptools. Let me dig up some sheets here...

Mahad Sunflare was a character I ran for a few years, starting shortly after 4e came out. Leveled him all the way from 1 to 13, he ended up doing a lot of damage to basically everything and was really really hard to hurt for a wizard. It was a bit silly but sometimes I'd have to step in between the party ranger and the ghouls trying to murder us just so the nearly-dead Ranger could get some shots off without dying.

Jack Brownbottom was put together shortly after PHB2 came out. As a joke. The idea was that I was going to only get multiclass feats and see how long before I died horribly. By level 12 he was a Bard/Warlock/Invoker/Sorcerer/Psion/Paladin and had enough attacks that I always had something which would prove really useful for the specific situation. Still don't know how or why he worked, but towards the end his party was down to just 2 players still playing, and yet we managed to hold our own against encounters intended for 4 characters, largely because of Jack's wide range of options and the fact that the Swordmage was able to make the both of us really hard to hurt.

Oh hey it's Minron, from the Skoffin game. Hey Skoffin if you ever want to try your luck killing this bastard, come at me.

Samaeald Sunflare is the son of Mahad, and actually named after one of Mahad's old companions. Sam recently graduated and the young artificer was, err... "encouraged" by his father to go out into the natural world and continue his studies there. what frustrates Sam is that he wasn't allowed to take any of his father's old adventuring equipment. No magic swords, no wands, no armor, no amulets, not even a holy symbol. Mahad didn't want it to become a crutch for his son, and wanted Sam to make his own way, fortune, and since he was an artifier, make his own gear. Sam has a lot of ongoing projects right now.

Nettle is... special. Shadok started his game and I got it in my head that I wanted to play a pixie rogue and be that kind of eccentric child-like happy character. Zipping around the battle, mocking enemies, stealing things from town only to sneak them back to their original place the next day. He's fun. Then on our first adventure my lousy bot fed me 3 natural 1s in a row while I was trying to stealth my way through the keep a vampire lord was held up in. Nettle is a vampire now. A vampire pixie. He's had some fun moments. Early on when he'd meet people in town I'd just create this existing relationship. Like, after the party met in the town arena, there was this nameless NPC who was supposed to pay us our gold and send us on our way. Nettle called to him by name, started talking on friendly terms, asking how his wife was doing (turns out she is expecting) and then later offered to buy them a present to celebrate. He didn't believe Nettle would actually go out and earn enough money to do so legitimately, which kind of made doing exactly that the perfect prank. Nettle used his gold from the first mission to buy them a really nice baby cradle. Then he snuck it into the house, and left the receipt (to prove it was purchesed0 as well as the invoice from the church of the raven queen which had hired and paid him. I like Nettle. Nettle lets me really mess around and expand the world just by interacting with stuff I was never supposed to interact with.
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in if something of this kind happens. I've never really done any D&D RPing, but freeform AKA non-number-based RPing rocks (except fight sequences. God, it is difficult to convince people that yes, YOUR DOOD IS DED).

I guess numbers help out in that particular scenario, right?
Igor_Dolvich
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/

I tried playing a few games here, but it always fell apart and I had a strong feeling of wasted time afterward, as I always spend a lot of time fleshing out the character of my character.

Quite a few people enjoy it, there, and it works for them, so I guess I may have been unlucky.
Sweedee
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh. The Sunflare fire spell we got is named after those guys.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweedee wrote:
Ohhh. The Sunflare fire spell we got is named after those guys.

Actually no. I had nothing to do with that. The naming is entirely coincidental.
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it definitely seems like there's some kind of interest in something like this. Smile That's good to hear!

I've had a really intense craving to run a D&D 4th edition campaign. I used to be pretty active over there on rpol.net before I had to change my career stuffs.

So if I did start something, would you prefer a thread on here, to do something IRC based (there are dice roll script bots out there and such), or to attempt it on another forum that has support for things like character sheets?

Tangled Web looks pretty great, same with RPGCrossing, so either of those would be the option for the later.
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd prefer a thread on here, an IRC room for this game's dice rolls is easy to do, and character sheets can easily be hosted somewhere. My main concern would actually be the plan to use 4e as it's a system completely focused on playing with a combat grid.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikanchion wrote:
Personally I'd prefer a thread on here, an IRC room for this game's dice rolls is easy to do, and character sheets can easily be hosted somewhere. My main concern would actually be the plan to use 4e as it's a system completely focused on playing with a combat grid.

Dude, combat maps are easy. Wait till I get home, I'll post some.

TekBot already supports dice rolls, too.
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that they're difficult to do, I've played on places like https://roll20.net/ with friends before, just if we're using an external site for all the combat you have a massive separation between the combat and the rest of the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: