Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Faction level differences and raids
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faction level differences and raids
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this is not going to start down the path of looking for a mechanic whereby Roleplay trumps Gameplay, because I think that's what a couple of people are looking for.
Kharn
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sac wrote:
I really hope this is not going to start down the path of looking for a mechanic whereby Roleplay trumps Gameplay, because I think that's what a couple of people are looking for.

Also this, just in case the discussion does take a turn to that
Yukari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Merlin said, pretty much.
SocialJusticeWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think faction level is okay as a general measure of how difficult a faction's stronghold is going to be, and thus how much renown you should earn. Past that, I don't think there should be anything that forces you to not raid a smaller faction, beyond general human decency (or as much of that as you can expect when playing a murder simulator). A tiny faction that consists of just a VW, an NC, a Lich, and a Corruptor can kick pretty much everyone's teeth in, whereas a bigger faction can easily be way too heavy on spellcaster classes or have no reliable tanks or some other factor that makes it difficult for them to raid factions their own size.
retsamajnin
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big part of the fun in a game is making sure it is competitive. There is nothing competitive about large factions going after small factions. And I don't think people should feel obligated to join a large faction out of necessity.

As for small factions working together, that is not particularly practical. Why don't they just join the same faction? Organizing your own faction for raids can sometimes be tricky. Trying to get together with other factions just turns into a nightmare with all the different alts we play and everyone having different schedules.

Everyone dies in the game. Pretty often, in fact. Which is fine. But it is not a lot of fun to get stomped on by big guys when you don't have the resources to fight back. You either end up joining a large faction yourself (furthering the problem) or you deal with it by quitting or just not enjoying the game.

As for the roleplay vs gameplay comments, I don't even see where anyone mentioned roleplay in the topic. Are you just trying to goad RPers now?
Warbandit
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Less onerous ways of accumulating renown. Implement passive renown generation which is increasingly taxed as there are more members (in addition to the existing methods of accumulating renown).

Eg. The first 5 members passively generate 10 renown per week each, the next 5 members passively generates 5 renown per week each, the next 5 generates 2 renown per week each and every member after that generates 1 renown per week each.

This means that although the absolute amount of renown generated by large factions are still the highest, small factions (and RP/passive factions) can still expand at a decent rate. Using this example, OS with 45 members will generate 115 renown per week whilst Knights of L Ron with 7 members will generate 60 renown per week. This is pretty good as L Ron will have 52% of OS’ passive renown generation but with around 85% less members.

Furthermore, practical upgrades should be cheaper in renown, and flavour upgrades should be considered “luxury” upgrades. This allows smaller factions can have sufficient safe sizes and modest amounts of one shot upgrades whilst the larger factions can use their renown for more expensive, customised flavour upgrades such as renaming SH tile, modifying tile description, being able to change tile type to another SH approved tile type etc. without bolstering their actual power even more.

(2) Reduce SH setup costs for small factions in terms of both AP, MP and time requirements. A level 1 faction can start at 5AP, 5MP and a 12 hour cooldown, scaling upwards to the current costs for level 7+ factions.

(3) No renown gain for raiding downwards where there is a 4 level difference or greater but otherwise, renown from raiding should be increased.

With respect to complaints about retaliating against larger factions, I don't see why any smaller faction is entitled to this. Anyone that wants to take out a larger faction should prove their worth in combat. Can't do it because faction too small? Then grow your faction. It just doesn't make sense that some level 2-3 faction should feel entitled to retaliate against a level 8-10 if they don't have the raiding power to do it.
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbandit wrote:
(1) Less onerous ways of accumulating renown. Implement passive renown generation which is increasingly taxed as there are more members (in addition to the existing methods of accumulating renown).

Not a big fan, although it's a difficult one to find a happy medium for. I think renown should be gained based on size, up to a point and then no more, or it still promotes mega-factions. Although to set the bar at say, 20 members and then lose renown after that would lead to members being unfairly kicked because "someone more useful" wanted to join.

Warbandit wrote:
(2) Reduce SH setup costs for small factions in terms of both AP, MP and time requirements. A level 1 faction can start at 5AP, 5MP and a 12 hour cooldown, scaling upwards to the current costs for level 7+ factions.

Me likely a lot. Concessions for small factions is a sound idea that, off the top of my head, I can't think of any obvious way to game it.

Warbandit wrote:
(3) No renown gain for raiding downwards where there is a 4 level difference or greater but otherwise, renown from raiding should be increased.

Absolutely. Although to be frank, with the current mechanics if a faction spends their renown as soon as they get it, there is no renown gain for ANY faction raiding them.
Edith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run three micro factions. From my point of view being raided isn't the problem. It is the renown loss from being raided. It is really annoying to work for two weeks to build renown and then be hit by someone much larger and lose two weeks work.

I wouldn't put in mechanics to discourage raiding at all. Deal with the renown loss as that is what hurts most.

Not worried about the AP to set a SH and repair the forts. Cost of going it alone.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of rough ideas we've been throwing into the idea pool, none have actually hit formal discussion yet, but I'd like to throw something out there that came up, was bounced off a few others for a while, and hasn't hit formal discussions yet either.

Some factions are too big to fight

You know what sucks as a small faction? The fact that you can't actually hurt a larger faction. Some factions are just too big to fight, which makes them "safer" since only a few factions can hope to go against them. This safety means people are attracted to them even more, and the faction just gets bigger. The problem here is it means making a brand new faction is really difficult. You start at the bottom of the food chain and people joining you do so with that knowledge.

Vassals

Believe it or not, the game already has a point where once you reach a certain membership size, it is more advantageous for you to split into 2 factions and continue operating as 1 (as allies). This point is when your ward hits its cap in size. But nobody actually splits their faction apart in this situation because A: We just don't think like that, and B: The game doesn't support such cooperation this way. We can do something about B.

Vassal factions would basically be offshoots of an existing faction. As an alternative, 1 faction could choose to become the Vassal of another. Think of this like a super version of an alliance.

For starters, all members of a Vassal faction are technically considered members of the main faction. This means no more than 1 alt allowed and you won't get XP beating on each other. Mails/Announcements go to all factions when designated as such.

This splits forces apart defensively, making each individual base a smaller, easier target. This also lets you specialize bonuses. Your factional craters and enchanters may all gather in 1 Vassal faction which gives good bonuses to searching, crafting, enchanting, and has a base set up in an area with plenty of potion resources. Meanwhile your raiders may prefer bonuses more suited to their needs, and located more on the front lines, near portals.

How to do?

Well, something that was said here made a lot of sense, and I'm toying with the idea a lot right now. The cost to make a stronghold being based on how powerful the faction is.

If you're a small faction, setting up costs hardly anything. It's easy to get where you want to be from spawn and still set up.

Get too big and you might be spending all your AP just to set up, possibly even requiring help from other members, which means spending a lot of effort just holding an area before setting up.

Think of it this way: A large faction presently may have several raiding teams each operating at different times. Imagine if they were all operating under the same banner, but based in their own stronghold. If you got hit by a larger faction you could at least fight back by hitting the stronghold of that raid team. Oh sure, another raid team could turn around and come after you, but they are likely to have their hands full with the guys they just hit, too.

As a bonus, by making factions grow "wide" rather than "tall", the actual area of influence of a faction EXPANDS. It's not a matter of "their base is located here", it's instead a matter of "they have forces here, here, and here."

Thoughts?
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
Thoughts?

Vasal factions sound _Awesome_ O.O

One question though: Would members of these Vasal factions be able to pass through each others wards?
If no: Locating crafters into one place and raiders into another makes little sense when the crafters can't deliver the goods.
If yes: Large factions are hard to raid because there's a good chance of mutliple actives. If the passive defense is smaller, but the faction can still call upon a larger pool of active defenders to join the fight from their other SH's, I'm not sure if the raiding gets any easier.
(That's from Dracula, by Stoker.)

Last edited by Tomppa on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
retsamajnin
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will comment further later, but I am really liking the potential of the Vassal idea. It definitely sounds interesting.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomppa wrote:
Teksura wrote:
Thoughts?

Vasal factions sound _Awesome_ O.O

One question though: Would members of these Vasal factions be able to pass through each others wards?
If no: Locating crafters into one place and raiders into another makes little sense when the crafters can't deliver the goods.
If yes: Large factions are hard to raid because there's a good chance of mutliple actives. If the passive defense is smaller, but the faction can still call upon a larger pool of active defenders to join the fight from their other SH's, I'm not sure if the raiding gets any easier.

That is a question we're still mulling over. One concern was raised about "what if everyone just piles into the same stronghold". Ok, yeah, all vassal strongholds would be easy targets, but with nobody to kill it'd be a pretty unrewarding experience.

However, in any event, sharing resources is something that needs to happen. We were talking about basically sharing the safe between factions, and even allowing cross-chatter between their strongholds.

The biggest thing to work out is "how big is too big?". working out what the "ideal" size for a faction before it might want to start thinking of splitting into 2 factions is... tricky.
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept but something like would would require quite a bit of testing to see how it worked out I'd think. It sounds something like making book 10 xp 100% of the time. Great in theory but it has significant flow-on effects.

Again similar questions like, what is actually going to force a faction to split?

Also if all the crafters are in their crafting bonus SH and the fighters are in the fighting bonus SH, it's not rocket science to work out which one's going to be getting hit all the time.
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps prevent a character from entering other vassal strongholds if they have already entered one in the last 24 hours? This would mean that to "change" the SH in which your raider/crafter resides, you'd need to stay outside of the SH's for 24 hours (which would increase available targets for hunters). This would also limit the usage of using vassal SH's for merely "staging points" since you'd need start moving in in advance, instead of just one/half/third of an AP cycle before the actual raid. This would also mean that active defenders could leave their SH and enter the vassal SH under attack only during the same tick that the attackers moved. If they show up after the next tick, they'll need to bash their way in just like everybody else.

EDIT: Also, while a shared safe would be more convenient, I'd prefer this option, because it would increase available targets. In the case of highly enchanted weapons/armour that you want to transfer, you could always coordinate a trade with another active from the other SH to avoid the risk of death and decay - Increasing interaction between characters would be an added bonus, IMO.
Tomppa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional thought: maybe your personal footlocker could be shared between sh's, so raiders can stash away their bashing weapons while they "go feral" for 24 hours, but the main safe should not be shared, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: