Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Split: Faction level differences and raids => Petmasters
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split: Faction level differences and raids => Petmasters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saint_Jimmy
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaelCleap wrote:
Yukari wrote:
Kiralio wrote:
Yukari wrote:
Also, there's really no good reason you'd want to keep a 10-pet horde from the get-go, really. Why not keep just 6 and an elite?

I'm level-capped, have very little time to play, and a member of a relatively small faction which would otherwise be an appealing target for other small factions who sometimes have marginal anti-pet capabilities -- no tank, underleveled tanks, only an IB with inadequate potion support, etc.

Also, having ten pets plus the resources to summon more is useful when you're solo raiding as a PM and have to deal with a similar number of pets on the other side, and/or kill tanks by sheer brute numbers.

Of course, I'm also not complaining, I think petmasters are one of the stronger archetypes in the game and Liches in particular are probably too good. (Although it's really just Ghouls.)

Yeah, I getcha, I was mostly saying for the case of non-maxxed PMs that still need to get exp and such things. Once you're capped it's perfectly reasonable to maintain a larger horde to pump-up defence and offence.

RaelCleap wrote:
-snip-

When you're low levelled you gotta get exp, not use all your resources putting up defences. That's like asking your mortals to build your forts. As I said before, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

So what you are saying is, a PM is no use in a small faction until maxed and badge maxed...

MADNESS!

Thats sad for game evolution and up and coming small factions. They go with no defense because a system is flawed.

Also MADNESS!

Level 26 LS in a faction where I'm the only PM representing!

Turns out, a PM. Is good at killing even if not maxxed.
Yukari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I don't know what I was expecting by trying.

GL guys.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petmasters are the character type least interested in badges. They're spellcaster exits that generally don't cast many spells, which opens up T1/T2 CP for other stuff. And at T3, their skills are isolated to small trees. You want to be a WM? Hellhounds + MOTP and you're basically done. Lich? Animate Dead + Summon Ghoul, rock on. They get far more out of their first 90 CP than classes who need to stack incremental bonuses on top of each other to "come online" like tanks.

This incidentally was a significant issue early on in the breath, because the presence of a single petmaster of any level in a faction did make them unraidable. It didn't come up super often since there wasn't much raiding in the first place, but I ran into it multiple times even just on one alt.

Last edited by MerlintheTuna on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiralio wrote:
RaelCleap wrote:
Also in our raid culture my feral PM's live longer. Know why? Because I'm not sat in a fort with a big Bullseye painted on my face. People don't know where I am. As feral those who stumble where I am, are not prepped and usually die yielding xp... oh and the badge resource obvious gains in feral life.

If only there were a class with relatively weak travel skills, but which had a huge discount on getting home right after dying, and tremendous utility in a downed stronghold. They'd be so suited to factional play!

Oh, wait.

e: Also, a PM is useful as soon as they have their upgraded main pet plus their tier 2 mana-restoring ability. Nearly everything else is window dressing; my Lich has Aura of the Crypt and Simulacrum because he can, not because he needs them.

Like I said, it's damaging for the game, from a new player perspective. If I hadn't had to wait 20 levels to get a taste of what a PM was like, if I had known, I would never have bothered with one (witch niggles, as WM was my fave class fluff wise, also the worst PM by far after the experience of it). But I am also aware it will not get fixed. The very thing that might scare off a new player.

You can keep your madness.

All my PM's now play feral, NUFF SAID. Faction defense and sitting in the SH is just plain stupid. Specially with our raiding culture as it is. You are just waiting to die for nothing, with no reward.

But at least you will put a smile on the tanks face... *sighs*

There is nothing left to say if you can't see that.

Last edited by RaelCleap on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaelCleap wrote:
[There is nothing left to say if you can't see that.
Kiralio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petmasters actually reach their primary utility much faster than other tier 3 classes, to the point where they can do everything they really need to do by level 20-22 or so, with proper planning.

If you want a real exercise in "you have no idea if you actually like this class until level 30 + badges, a supportive faction, and a shitload of non-obvious game knowledge," try playing an Adept.
RaelCleap
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for PM not needing badges, BS. That is specific to a players char path and design. It is subjective and can not be stated as a Norm. I for one find my PM's CP starved.

Oh sorry I forget I'm talking to a VET.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a link! Which skills are you hoping to grind to? Let's discuss! (I would encourage you to review this entire thread as well: you're not talking to a vet. You're talking to a lot of vets including multiple devs.)

Here's Selke: http://www.nexusclash.com/modules.php?name=Game&op=character&id=8397

Selke has 55 badge CP under his belt, but would function identically even if you got rid of: Metamorphic Unguis, Martial Arts, Advanced Martial Arts, Summon Horrid Tentacle, and Favor of Gnak. That's 170 CP, much of it acquired at T3. I could probably spare Alchemical Transmutation in a pinch as well, but it's a nice QOL thing. Dodge skills (T1 HtH + Translucency for 90 CP) are nice but not required. Stamina (20 CP) is nice but not required. Wrackwyrms (60 CP) are nice but not required. I can fulfill all of my core tasks - crafting, alchemy, modest petwalling, and raiding - pretty dang well starting from about level 22.

Some specifics would really help, Rael, because you haven't explained what should've happened in that raid, haven't explained how PMs benefit in any way from going feral, and haven't explained why you think badges matter in the slightest.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for Gods sake, Cleaver. You already got 5 pages of you repeating the same thing over and over and everyone else on the forum taking turns explaining why you're wrong. You don't need to revive it after the thread finally dies so you can try for another 5 pages. We get it. You think pets are useless on raid defense and that the only possible ways of playing them is to either spends 100% of your time summoning "useless" pets just so you can be "useless" or else you can go factionless. This in spite of several people giving you advice or suggestions of any other alternative.You're still not happy or willing to play them any different from a way you specifically dislike playing them. You don't like playing petmasters. So don't. And then you can stop complaining about it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: