Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Little Lost Newb
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Lost Newb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strigidaeus
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Little Lost Newb Reply with quote

Uh, hi.

I'm really new, and I'm having trouble learning about the game. I've read all three New Player Guides over on the wiki and I'm a longtime Urban Dead player so I'm familiar with basic mechanics. But this game seems a lot deeper (and/or wider) and I'd really like some kind of primer to What It's All About.

If any faction wants me I'd be happy to join, although right now I'm just really lost. Help?
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome! What sorts of questions do you have? Ask away.
Strigidaeus
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe let's start with what I should do for the next few days, while I read up on lore and stuff (if that's available). Should I be searching buildings, punching people, what? Are there places I shouldn't go? Places I should go? I've got a character currently on King's Island in Laurentiia. Should I be worried someone will try to rearrange my face?

Those are the questions I can think of right now, but mostly I'm just a bit clueless. It's feels like being dropped into Act III of Diablo II without a tutorial lol.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I always dreaded act III. Death in Nexus Clash is a bit more like death as a zombie in UD regardless of what class you are - you respawn in a new location and you're ready to go. Most people will try to get through the early levels by searching for books in libraries as a source of XP. After doing that for a bit, they may have enough combat skills to regularly deal damage to other players, which then becomes a good source of XP, although books are still pretty good.

There are a few different paths early game depending on which skill you chose as your starting skill. Which one did you pick?
Strigidaeus
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Search. I have a rough sketch of my character based on what lore I could find in a short time. Basically involves her staying out of trouble lol, so Search seemed like a good starting skill.

Is beating the XP out of people basically the point of this game, then? I mean, like, in UD there isn't a win condition, so to speak, so you don't actually have to kill every zombie you see (if playing a survivor).
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now read books, while you read about classes and skills... and don't get frightened by the learning curve. It's a lot steeper than UD as far as classes and skills goes.

My big suggestion is decide on a T3 class and work backwards from there, so you ensure the T1 and 2 skills you take, work together with the skills you're looking at for T3.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, right now, search is probably the best starting skill. Be sure to use the character planner http://www.nexusclash.com/chargen_b3.5.html?v2 and copy your build over to your character's notepad to help you stay on track.

Some people choose to focus on combat, others do repairs, enchanting, alchemy etc. Right now, the game is pretty heavily focused on faction play. So there's a lot to do regarding that. Just about any faction you join will help you out so it's up to you which one you want to join.

The point of the game is that there's a war between angels and demons with neutrals sort of stuck in the middle. Unlike UD, NC operates in iterations, also known as "breaths". Right now we are in the process of overhauling our entire code so we are in a transitional phase. You will hear this referred to as Breath 3.5 or, more commonly B3.5. Next will be Breath 4.

Basically, your actions influence the future of the game. There's a sort of scoring system (That we are working on refining as well) that awards points to whichever god (Elder Power, EP) your actions fall in line with. The Elder Power with the most points shapes the next version of the game. In this way, your actions influence the next version of the game because each EP has different characteristics which are then manifested in their respective Breath.

But you'll figure most of that stuff out as you go. For now, focus on building a character that will be fun for you to play. Search libraries for books, maybe join a faction that can help you out from time to time. Feral gameplay isn't necessarily discouraged on purpose, but it can be challenging and frustrating for new players.

Feel free to ask any more questions. See you in the Nexus! Very Happy
Nook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the terms you'll run across is Feral. It means someone who isn't in a faction. It's a bit more difficult to function as feral until higher levels so I'd recommend joining a faction to help you get started.
Yukari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, joining factions is one of the best ways of getting past the early game in NC. In between the surplus of resources and the knowledge of older players, you'll have an easier time "getting" how the game works.

I'll do some blatant self-advertising lol.

Mira's Shelter is meant to be the default "new player" faction. It's good-aligned (which sadly leaves new demon-players out), and generally non-violent - it doesn't ever raid other factions. It's next to a library and other resource buildings, so it's pretty good for getting exp quickly. I have a character there that gets hurt daily, so it's a pretty decent source of healing exp if your character has the Surgery skill.

The Sanguine Fire is a good-aligned, raiding faction I helped create. Besides being a little bit rowdier, it also has a leaning more into roleplay, so if you are literary-curious as well as interested in whacking other people's stuff, you're very welcome to come along.

Ridleybank Resistance Front will probably sound familiar to you. Yeah, it's that RRF. Unaligned faction, which means only Mortals and Transcended (Neutral) can join (but your morality doesn't matter). Rather big but also a bit of a dead weight; there's a bunch of active players that do like to get together and raid, though, and plenty of people harming themselves (you'll notice it to be a trend) makes it easy to get healing exp.

(There's, of course, plenty of other nice factions out there for you to look into).

If you ever join any of those (or other) factions, make sure to also get into their irc channels, where you'll often find people online and willing to help you figure out the game and your characters. Because you can't get rid of skills in this game, it's always good to plan ahead; it's typical of the early game to pick a skill and find out later you didn't really need it :/

Cheers.
Saint_Jimmy
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of IRC - you can join #clash for more advice by clicking "Chat" up at the top! If you mention that you're new, you'll probably get given some advice, although I'd recommend ignoring anything suggesting you take swim.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with the suggestion to join a faction. Arguably the biggest difference between UD and NC is NC's faction mechanics, which not only make cooperation easier, but provide a degree of relative safety by way of strongholds. The flip side of that is that an overwhelming percentage of characters spend their downtime "in base", where you as a new little mortal aren't going to be able to touch them. Running around looking for people to smack is absolutely a viable way to level up, but it's not necessarily a target rich environment out there.
GreatCatatonic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I first started playing I wasn't in IRC or chat, so I had to figure things out for myself for a good while (until I joined a faction, which helped immensely).

My starting skill was Engineering, and it was good for getting me around the map and learning about other game mechanics. It's not very efficient in the XP-to-AP ratio like just about any other starting skill is, but you'll get experience with the map, lights and doors, where resource- and target-rich environments are, and you'll never *want* for XP; you can ALWAYS turn on or turn off lights. Combat can be feast or famine; it's great when you can kill people, but spending entire cycles without finding a target can be a little demoralizing.

That said, so long as you can get to a Library with the Hypermap, Search is a great skill, and reading is a solid way to level.

--Great
Strigidaeus
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to bed, woke up and the sole member of the Maevalent Order of Barhah made me a zombie. You people have an endemic rotter problem, I thought quarantining Malton was supposed to be a solution >_>

I figured I'd join Mira's Shelter, take it slowly from there. Arrived at the Cimmeria terminal, and got spawncamped by some dude with 10 Ghouls lol.

But anyway, I'm safe inside their Stronghold now, so I guess that's my newbie education done. I'll be back with more questions later, but for now, thanks for all the fish, guys.
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strigidaeus wrote:
so I guess that's my newbie education done.

Yep you died, you're officially one of us now Razz
One300warrior
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come and join us at the Galactic Empire. We're a fairly new faction that has been growing steadily.
GE is a star warsish themed faction with lots of great people and a growing community. Just make an evil/neutral character themed somewhat around star wars/space and enjoy yourself!

http://www.nexusclash.com/modules.php?name=Game&op=faction&do=view&id=430
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Recruitment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: