Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Breath 4: Spellcaster Leak: Discussion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breath 4: Spellcaster Leak: Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Breath 4: Spellcaster Leak: Discussion Reply with quote

I'd also like to extend a big thanks to our fantastic Dev Team for all the work they've put in to help make it this far. I know, tier 2 casters took a long time for us to work out. Funny story, while we were working on Combat classes I kept saying that it'll get easier when we get to casters. Turns out we quickly discovered that there was so much more to casters which we needed to work out.

I think I speak for the entire team when I say that we're all really looking forward to starting work on the tier 3 classes. Tanks will be first on our list, and although the Nexus Champion is the one class I am personally most excited to start work on... Adepts will actually be last. So, apologies to fans of Nexus Champions, Holy Champions, and ESPECIALLY to that 1 player who actually enjoys their Doom Howler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Two points:

Quote:
Spellcraft (Class Feature)
* Character's max MP is straight up multiplied by 4. And they gain +4 MP every level. This should include MP bonuses from other sources, like from lore.

If the Lore is gained after Spellcraft is taken, would it just grant the MP multiplied by 4? If not, I expect to see the minmaxers camped out trying to get their lore completed before taking Spellcraft so that they don't lose out on that extra XP.

Quote:
BARAAS' PRAYER (20 CP)

Before this goes much further, can we please just put the extra S into this skill's name? "Baraas's" is the possessive of Baraas.

--Great
Azure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
ESPECIALLY to that 1 player who actually enjoys their Doom Howler.

What is a Doom Howler? /s

All these changes are going to take a while to get used to. I like the idea of behind ward hierachy.
Some additional example questions:
Can a wards hp/duration be refreshed/extended by casting the same ward? Or would you have to cast a lesser tier ward, then a higher one? I assume its the latter.
You cast a slowing vs angels ward (3 hours, 200hp). then a slowing vs good ward -> (6hours 200hp).

Also does ward hp get restored to 200 when a lesser ward is consumed?
Lets say some naughty sorc comes along an hour later and dispels 100 hp from your ward (5hours, 100hp). Noticing this you decide to upgrade the ward to a vs hostile ward ->( 8hours,) Then is the hp refreshed back to 200hp, or does it remain at 100hp?

(p.s. oh i forgot that the ward regenerates hp over time. Lets assume it doesnt for affect this example)
Azure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatCatatonic wrote:

If the Lore is gained after Spellcraft is taken, would it just grant the MP multiplied by 4? If not, I expect to see the minmaxers camped out trying to get their lore completed before taking Spellcraft so that they don't lose out on that extra XP.

[character mp from all sources]*4 Should be how it works.
Extra mp gained from Lore should come into effect retroactively giving you 4x mp. Same with any + mp skills taken at T3 \o/ .

GreatCatatonic wrote:
I
Quote:
BARAAS' PRAYER (20 CP)

Thread typo i think since "NAMM'S PRAYER " has his very own special S.
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatCatatonic wrote:

Quote:
BARAAS' PRAYER (20 CP)

Before this goes much further, can we please just put the extra S into this skill's name? "Baraas's" is the possessive of Baraas.

I've found proper names are written both ways, depending on how the writer was taught in school.
Saint_Jimmy
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azure wrote:
Teksura wrote:
ESPECIALLY to that 1 player who actually enjoys their Doom Howler.

What is a Doom Howler? /s

All these changes are going to take a while to get used to. I like the idea of behind ward hierachy.
Some additional example questions:
Can a wards hp/duration be refreshed/extended by casting the same ward? Or would you have to cast a lesser tier ward, then a higher one? I assume its the latter.
You cast a slowing vs angels ward (3 hours, 200hp). then a slowing vs good ward -> (6hours 200hp).

Also does ward hp get restored to 200 when a lesser ward is consumed?
Lets say some naughty sorc comes along an hour later and dispels 100 hp from your ward (5hours, 100hp). Noticing this you decide to upgrade the ward to a vs hostile ward ->( 8hours,) Then is the hp refreshed back to 200hp, or does it remain at 100hp?

(p.s. oh i forgot that the ward regenerates hp over time. Lets assume it doesnt for affect this example)

1) Yes, it can be refreshed by casting the same ward again.
2) Yes, when you cast a ward the HP is reset.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the point is for increasing the amount of MP spellcasters get and then raising the MP cost of their spells to compensate. Will spells be more or less or about the same cost when all is said and done?
EagleWiz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
I'm not sure what the point is for increasing the amount of MP spellcasters get and then raising the MP cost of their spells to compensate. Will spells be more or less or about the same cost when all is said and done?

The main difference in spell costs is in spell combat. In 3.5 for example flame dart cost 4 MP and smoldering bolt cost 5 MP - meaning you could probably use spells to kill about one non-tank per AP cycle before running out of MP, and causing their damage output to tank (and also resulting in spell combat costing far to much mana for most petmasters to bother with) . In 4.0 an offensive fire spell costs between 2 and 4 MP depending on the number of augments, and even the most expensive t2 combat spells cost only 6 MP.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:

Much of the reason for the adjusted MP numbers (on both ends) is that everyone, even Mortals and combat classes, will be able to learn spells in b4. The higher MP numbers give caster classes an advantage while leaving other classes free to dabble in magic.
Trialist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleWiz wrote:
Scroll of Security - 1 AP and 20 MP to cast. Toggles the lock status on a door, and opens or closes it (i.e. A closed and locked door becomes an open, unlocked door. An open, unlocked door becomes a closed and locked door. A closed and unlocked door merely locks the door with out opening it. You can not use this spell on an open and locked door because that's a roundabout way of saying the door is destroyed, and that's just not going to work). Does not count toward "locks picked" badge. Does not provide experience. Cannot toggle locks on 'complex' doors

Repth wrote:
Mortal Skills

Read Scrolls (10 CP)
*Allows you to learn spells from scrolls and cast them from scrolls or memory.
*You can memorize one spell. Memorized spells can be forgotten and do not cost CP to learn.
*Allows you to cast combat spells, although they will be less likely to deal high damage than normal.

Interesting. So, just out of curiosity, this would mean a professional lockpicker could hang out outside and Security-lock/Lockpick the door without stepping inside? A few times, at least, since 20MP is rather pricey.

It's nice to see people considering new uses and varieties on lesser used mechanics.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:

As has been said before, the main reason is spell combat.

Think of it this way: Even at 1 MP a pop, spell combat would be limited to 49 attacks before you run out. So we had to increase the magic pool to allow a more reasonable number of attacks. Of course, this has consequences of allowing more of everything else that isn't an attack, and as a result we have to raise the cost of everything else.
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trialist wrote:
Interesting. So, just out of curiosity, this would mean a professional lockpicker could hang out outside and Security-lock/Lockpick the door without stepping inside? A few times, at least, since 20MP is rather pricey.

It's nice to see people considering new uses and varieties on lesser used mechanics.

I suppose it does!
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this all horribly confusing.

Which is fine, I usually don't think out my builds anyways and just goes with what I want to do at the time.
Wozzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tathers wrote:
I find this all horribly confusing.

Which is fine, I usually don't think out my builds anyways and just goes with what I want to do at the time.

This is what we were going for (not the confusing part). We wanted players to feel they could pick whatever combat style they wanted. Even players who just want to focus on alchemy/crafting have plenty of skills to choose from.
MerlintheTuna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo "confusing." I'm not super concerned since I've generally passed on spellcasting anyway (largely because of the MP-throttling Tek described above), but I guess I don't really understand the goals? Mundane weapons follow a pretty clear system of tradeoffs: HtH is no maintenance but is weakest/least flexible, ranged is high maintenance but most powerful, melee splits the difference. Spells... I'm not really clear on, especially with strong weapon support built into the classes.

Other stuff I'm confused about:
  • Are there still multiple spells of any given damage type (Fire Dart, Flame Bolt, etc.), or just a generic "fire spell" that gets amped up by the skills you've taken?
  • Relatedly, are affinity bonuses still a thing?
  • What kind of spell loadouts do you expect to be common? Right now, combatants tend to load up on one damage type and eschew the others, enchanters grab something cheap from each type so they can do their thing, and maybe you splash in a utility spell here and there. What's the expectation for B4?
  • Less a question than a comment: T2 still looks pretty barren for petmasters. :/ Or am I wrong in assuming that spells & pets don't mix well due both hinging on MP?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> The Junkyard All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: