Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Everyone is John (Game on)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyone is John (Game on)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Everyone is John (Game on) Reply with quote

If you've never heard of the game Everyone is John, it's a really basic collective roleplaying game where everyone is one of the voices inside the head of a totally insane man in Minneapolis. You get to control John — one at a time, of course.

Rules are simple:
You control John with Willpower. Most voices start the game with 10 willpower. You gain 1 Willpower every time control of John is about to switch. When bidding for control, you (privately) PM me how much Willpower you want to spend to gain control of John. If you win, you lose that amount of Willpower, but gain control over John, and may talk to him and try to convince him to do things. The person who just lost control over John can not take part in the bidding. When you are not in control, you can still post in the thread and talk to John or each other, but only the person in control has the ability to convince John to do anything.

As a voice, you are defined by 2 things: Skills, and Obsessions.

Skills are public, and basically make you better at certain things. Normally when performing a task that requires a check, you must roll a 6 on a d6 because John is an idiot who can't do anything right on his own. If the task falls under one of your skills, you succeed on a 3 or higher. Skills can be anything from "Drives well" to "Performing" to "lock picking". You start with 2 skills by default, but may start with 3 skills if you opt to begin with only 7 Willpower. You may also spend willpower before making a roll to add +1 to your result per willpower spent. This means that if you spend 2 Willpower on a roll that falls under one of your skills, you automatically succeed. Note that I will be rolling all of the dice because this is a forum.

Choose 2 or 3 skills, and post them in this thread so I can keep track of what skills everyone has.

Your Obsession should be between you and me. Do not make this public because this is your win condition. You gain points when your obsession is fulfilled, even if you're not the one who did it. Obsessions come in 3 types:

A tier 1 obsession is very easy to accomplish, and may be something as basic as "pigging out on candy" or "argue with a stranger". These can typically be done with just 1 roll. They're worth 1 victory point.
A tier 2 obsession is a little harder to do, and may be something a little more complicated like "dance in the street while wearing a dress" or "Slap a police officer with raw fish". Usually these take a little planning and more than 1 roll to pull off. they're worth 2 victory points.
A tier 3 obsession is VERY difficult, and often involves either a lot of luck, several rolls, or more than 1 turn in control to actually pull off. They could be something as complicated as "Summon Cthulhu" or "Blow up a building". these are worth 3 victory points.

Choose 1 obsession, and PM it to me. Note that i can and will veto any Obsession that is either inappropriate, or mind-numbingly easy, such as "Speak".

Once you are in control, you may talk to John. In addition to being inept at basically everything, John is very suggestible. You can talk to him and suggest he do certain things in hopes that it will further your win condition. You remain in control until either:
* You fail a roll.
* There is a long period of inactivity in game (Such as a long journey in a car).
* There is a long period of inactivity in the thread (Such as you don't post for a few days when you're in control)
* When you fulfill your Obsession.
* When Teksura says so.

Play continues until either John dies, or until everyone is pretty much out of Willpower.

So, who wants to play Everyone is John?

Last edited by Teksura on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
UsernamePending
Custom Title
Custom Title

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Skills: Persuasion and Doesn't Get Sick.
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW IS 42 KILLS AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWOOOO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: IS ONLY AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW DO YOU GET AN S ON LEBLANC
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Sounds stupid yet fun.

Skills: Explosives expertise, Streetsmarts, Electrician

Starting Willpower: 7

Obsession: [Data Expunged]

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
invisime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.

Skills: Decathlete, Analyst
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills: Friend of Felines, Kleptomania.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I've contacted everyone to let them know what tier I ranked their obsession at. If you're not happy with the tier of your obsession, now (before bidding for first control is finished) is the time to contact me and get it changed. I went with whatever felt right on my end, but am willing to work with you to modify it and the way the world works to accommodate you. I also reserved the right to make a few modifications to the Obsessions if I felt it was necessary, and have informed people of this when I did so. Let's begin.

Our story begins with John waking up in a dirty gutter. He did not sleep well last night, possibly because he slept in a dirty gutter. John has no idea how he got there, or what he was even doing last night. Suddenly, a splash of cold water hits him, and an angry looking man holding a bucket is yelling at him to get out of here. That's when John starts to hear the voices...

Bidding for control begins now. Please PM me how much willpower you want to spend to gain control of John. Remember, you only lose the willpower if you win. Bidding will end after I get all 4 bids, or after 24 hours has elapsed. At that point, I will share the results of the bidding and the winner will have control of John. Remember, anyone can talk to John or each other in the thread, but only comeone in control can actually... You know... Control him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Hey, John. You remember me, John, don'tcha? C'mon John. Wake up. You gonna let that motherfucker do that to you?
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the results are in!

Shadok bids 0
UNP bids 1
Pikanchion bids 1
Invisime bids 2

Invisime, you now have control of John and 8 willpower remaining.

John looks around a little confused for a moment after hearing the voice and asks aloud "What can I do?" The angry looking man with a bucket does not look happy about this question and starts yelling louder for him to get the hell off of his property among various profanities.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How precise is my control of John?

Can I, for instance, just narrate whatever I'd like him to do or say at this point, or am I constrained to suggesting things as a voice in his head?
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 invisime tells John to run or pole vault the guy or something #Decathelete

Don't do it John, stand and fight like a man!
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisime wrote:
Question: How precise is my control of John?

Can I, for instance, just narrate whatever I'd like him to do or say at this point, or am I constrained to suggesting things as a voice in his head?

You are a voice inside of his head. You can talk to him, and while in control you can instruct him to do things. Sometimes John will refuse to listen, which may happen if you fail a roll. However, sometimes a failed roll just means John tried and failed to do what was asked. You do not have direct control over John. So, instead of saying "John strips naked and runs into the middle of the street to dance" you should instead be saying "Hey John, this world needs more artists. Nobody cares about the arts anymore, and you should do something to draw attention to them. You should do a dance somewhere public. Like the middle of the street. And just to make sure people notice you and understand the meaning behind your dance, you should strip naked first. People will be so impressed by your sudden display of artistic expression. Do it for the arts!"
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw what happens when the bidding results in a draw for the top bid?
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikanchion wrote:
Btw what happens when the bidding results in a draw for the top bid?

In that event, the top bidders go through another round of bidding, adding to their existing bids.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size this guy up. Look for his weakness. You've got to get one over on this asshole.
Shadok
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quiet Australian voice pips up from the back of John's mind

C'mon mate, don't be askin' fer trouble. Just get outta here and figure out how we ended up this far up shit creek.

"Oh, sorry, thought I was in a Vault of Enlightenment, not someone's booze cabinet." -Kharn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: