Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Mismatched cookie settings between game pages and forum
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mismatched cookie settings between game pages and forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badziew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Mismatched cookie settings between game pages and forum Reply with quote

Alpharius (ID: mdfr4nk#9389) has complained on chat that they cannot visit game pages after login, and there was a theory their browser was dropping login cookies, so I took some time to test it.

Here is my thought stream from chat, because I think I found the root cause:

Quote:

Okay... fresh visit, with all cookies cleared... domain is of course www.nexusclash.com...
1) loading front page sets a long-term first-aprty cookie, named lang, which is probably unused since I see no language selection and I am not even logged in yet :thinking:
2) using login form sets another long-term frst-party cookie, named user , so this is probably the main cookie that keeps an user logged-in :thinking:
3) browsing game pages does nothing new, so my suspicion about user seems to be confirmed
4) visiting forum sets two new cookies, both are for .nexusclash.com domain so technically third-party :thinking:
5) viewing forum topic sets another cookie for .nexusclash.com... so far no mysterious logouts... :thinking:

Okay... let's see what happend when I start deleting cookies one-by-one :thinking:
BINGO!
Deleting the user cookie results in login form visible, and standard "access denied" on game pages, but I am still logged in on forum page, I can visit my profile etc :tada:
So yeah, I guess that's it... I just hope it can be fixed by clicking in forum settings, without having to touch any code :thinking:

So basically it looks like forum engine is using a different domain for cookies than the game pages, which may cause problems for some people if they have "aggresive" privacy settings.

Hopefully it can be fixed in forum's admin panel, without having to hack forum code Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Bug Reporting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: