Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Add some low-tier Neutral Mobs to Laurentia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Add some low-tier Neutral Mobs to Laurentia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyss
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kandarin: Not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but a really poor way to measure who'd be engaging with them long-term because -

Firstly, it's an event, and the first day of the event at that. Almost everyone's having a pop at them who's aware and able at the moment, and there's a lot more T3s in the game in general, especially who're 'meta-connected' like this. However, Interplanar Brigades are interested in making use of it to level through T2 and grab some candy corn.

Secondly, as Catatonic mentioned, these event NPCs are far too strong for Mortals to realistically take-on under their own power. Yes, even the 'Clearly Fake'-tier mobs. For actual low-level combat encounters, such as the first tier of Sewer Rats or whatever hypothetically, their stats should be something like... 2-4 (element) damage, 40% to hit, 10-20 HP. Seriously. It could go up from there, but since Mortals actually have to trade a lot of hits to knock 20 HP off an encounter unless they're being boosted with amazing weapons, even things with lousy base damage and accuracy can quickly catch-up with them via attrition. Anecdotally I know a few people already with low-mid level chars who figured they wouldn't be able to participate in the event after getting clapped by Grim Reaper?? and the like.

So yeah, still love the event, but not a good way to guess at engagement with a purpose-made set of permanent low-level NPC mobs.
TaylerIsh
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:
An observation that may prove helpful: since last night we've (effectively) had neutral wandering mobs running around in Laurentia as proposed by the OP, and dozens of player characters have attacked them. My means of seeing who fought the wandering mobs is a bit clunky, but I was able to tell who was out there fighting them.

Out of the over 70 characters who have attacked the wandering neutral pets roaming around, only one single character was a Mortal. Perhaps ten of the rest were T2s. The overwhelming majority were T3 or maxed.

Hah! That mortal was me(probably)! I tried to taste it, and ... It hurt. My fighting skills are too low to actually kill this creature.
3 damage with a 55% chance to hit against a creature with more than 9 damage ... Perhaps it's just that my combat skills are quite small for me to kill at least 1 with difficulty ...
Carilgar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a sliding scale NPC? On entrance by a player it 'scans' the level of of the player and adjusts it's HP's, MP, damage, damage type, hit %%, etc accordingly. You could set these at 3 level brackets so a level 1 would get an easy kill but a unprepared lvl 30 might get a real ass whoopin'.

This should not be too hard to code. Especially, as mentioned, we already have NPC's that will not attack players until they are over lvl 4.

Easy XPs for mortals and maxed-out clearing problems fixed.

Oh, yeah. A max of one per type for pet pinchers...

Last edited by Carilgar on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
TaylerIsh
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "pets".
1 level-1 HP, 10 MP, 25% hit chance. 2 damage defenses. Wandering light.
Interlevel-15 HP, 15 MP, 35% hit chance. 5% protection. 3 damage. Defense. Cat
Level 2 - 20 HP, 40 MP. 45% chance to hit. 4 damage. defense. Dog.
Level 3. 15 HP, 40 MP. 65% chance to hit. 10% protection. 6 damage. Aggressive. Mad Dog.
4 level-40 HP. 40 MP. 45% chance to hit. 15% protection. 3 damage. Defense. Human memory.
5 level-40 HP. 40 MP. 65% chance to hit. 20% protection. 7 damage. Defense. Former soldier.
6 level-45 HP. 80 MP. 75% chance to hit. 15% protection. Aggressive. 5 damage. Maniac.
7 level-60 HP. 30 MP. 50% hit chance. 15% protection. Defense. 10 damage. Self-assembled monster.
8 level-50 HP. 40 MP. 60% chance to hit. 25% protection. Defense. 12 (13) damage. Culist's Shard.
Level 9-70 HP. 60 MP. 65% chance to hit. 20% protection. Defense. 11 damage. Sewer crab
10 level-100 HP. 100 MP. 50% hit chance. 30% protection. Defense. 17 damage. Killer machine.
SaltedSalmon
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players that only have a combat tree have trouble gaining Morality if they happen to dip below -19, so this may cause less Good characters.

It's a very subtle thing, but its there.
Alyss
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, while a variety of mobs of somewhat-different challenge levels is good in its own right and the more 'standard' MUD thing, I think Carilgar's idea of mobs which shift to be a good fight for their aggressor is also a banger tbh. In particular, anyone can get started and get fighting them pretty much immediately without having to guess or painfully figure-out what's going to chonk them and what isn't.
Trialist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been thinking about this idea more. One thing I like in games is when they act as sort of a teaching aid, rather than just bags of walking XP. Here's what I'm thinking.

• "A flying vulture", which is flying, giving an appropriate message if a player tries to attack it with H2H/melee. To be fair, this one wouldn't attack except in retaliation
• "A crocodile", with a minor amount of soak (perhaps 2 bludge/2 slash/2 pierce). Just enough soak to be noticeable, also no soak in other elements to show players getting around soaks.
• Give Aethersprite, Will-o-Wisp, and Imp damage auras (just 1 damage of holy/death/fire) and have them wander Laurentia. This'll give new players some experience with damage auras, before the first time attempting to punch an IB. Another bonus: more likely to run into an injured feral character, giving healers something to do outside strongholds.

Just some ideas. Another aspect could be the roving pets having some logic beyond spawning randomly. Perhaps the vultures could fly towards the closest corpse, telling players willing to follow where a dead body is (for Liches/Eye of Death/etc) and having them land as "a scavenging vulture" for an easier target. Perhaps crocodiles could spawn next to sewers (or in sewers and move out) and stay within 2 squares, indicated to players where sewer entrances are. Perhaps Aethersprites and Imps could spawn next to portals to Valhalla/Stygia, respectively, and again staying within 2 squares to indicate where portals are. Will-o-Wisps would spawn next to the Sect of Maevel entrance, to indicate where that is.

Sure, a lot of this can be found just by looking at the hypermap (other than recent bodies) but the idea is to give some hints to observant players, preferably without the need to flip over to another map. Plus, such behavior can easily transfer over to a new Breath, giving players hints about where stuff is. Plus, these could easily not give XP or badge points to T3 characters, especially if you make the Aethersprite/Imp into a "lesser Aethersprite" and so on when in Laurentia.
Darkwingstalker
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:
An observation that may prove helpful: since last night we've (effectively) had neutral wandering mobs running around in Laurentia as proposed by the OP, and dozens of player characters have attacked them. My means of seeing who fought the wandering mobs is a bit clunky, but I was able to tell who was out there fighting them.

Out of the over 70 characters who have attacked the wandering neutral pets roaming around, only one single character was a Mortal. Perhaps ten of the rest were T2s. The overwhelming majority were T3 or maxed.

My mortal tried and got shredded before I could get a hit off, in fairness!
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:

What is the current balance of T2 and T3 characters to T1s?

Edit - also, agreed they seem too tough for low level mortals.
sohdbrimks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the newbie mobs should only attack at the pet tick, and not every time you attack them.
Trialist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sohdbrimks wrote:
Maybe the newbie mobs should only attack at the pet tick, and not every time you attack them.

I think it would be better if they attacked back. Both so that people would understand how pets worked, and so people would understand a bit of "live" combat and figure out what to do when getting low on HP.
Lagn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about mobs that don't attack? Like deer, or squirrels, pigeons, etc.
haliphax
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introductory NC quest: Kill 10 rats
Carilgar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haliphax wrote:
Introductory NC quest: Kill 10 rats

Poor CCC. Wink
Badziew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carilgar wrote:
Have you considered a sliding scale NPC?

My first impression was immediately: Rage mechanics.

The basic idea is to not have a set of predefined levels of each monster, but instead give the monsters an ability to buff themselves. So the monster is initially weak enough that even a Mortal has a decent chance to kill it, but when it is damaged it accumulates Rage and gets stronger and stronger... and it gains more Rage if it feels threatened (opponent is high level or does massive amounts of damage due to skills or equipment).

I guess that technically this could probably be implemented by extending current mechanic of status effects to work on monsters, and making the Rage a stackable status effect.

If balanced correctly, such mechanics would make the monster equally dangerous to characters on all power levels - weak characters would safely pat the monster with weak attacks that generate little Rage, while more powerful characters would quickly get punished by their power by having to fight the monster in HULK SMASH mode Twisted Evil
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestions Dump All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: