Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Active Character Class Breakdown
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Active Character Class Breakdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyss
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Active Character Class Breakdown Reply with quote

I had some free time, so I went through every active faction's roster in the game compiling the current number of active characters of each class there are. I knew some classes had gone up and down in popularity by a lot (there's been a tonne of Advocates lately) since I started playing, so I was curious how close it matched the stats. Hopefully this is a little interesting at least.

Note: This only covers all of the factioned characters there are of course, and there are a few classes that tend to be particularly popular/unpopular for ferals as well - I know of at least 4 feral Seraphs active atm, for example, but there isn't really an easy way for me to get details on all the feral characters there are, so I didn't want to throw in estimations for that. Just keep it in mind! ^^

Anyways, here's the active numbers:

Eternal Soldier: 20
Nexus Champion: 17
Revenant: 20

Conduit: 36
Lich: 22
Wizard: 15

Holy Champion: 12
Divine Herald: 3
Seraph: 9
Redeemed: 2

Advocate: 8
Lightspeaker: 14
Archon: 17

Infernal Behemoth: 18
Doom Howler: 10
Void Walker: 17
Fallen: 3

Dark Oppressor: 12
Wyrm Master: 8
Corruptor: 8

-

Also, I did a few specific build breakdowns for popularity right now on a few classes I was particularly interested in. If you want me to go back and get the build numbers on a particular class, ask and I don't mind!

Revenant
Hand-to-Hand Wolf: 5
(Heavy) Melee Wolf: 2
Hand-to-Hand Bat: 4
Ranged Bat: 1
Melee Bat/Dust: 4
Melee Wolf/Dust: 2
Other: 1
Undetermined [New Tier 3s, hard to tell]: 1

Holy Champion
Pure Wind: 2
Wind + Fire: 3
Wind + Water: 1 (with Holy Radiance tech)
Pure Fire: 1 (Bow)
Fire + Water: 1 (Bow)
Pure Earth: 3 (1 HtH, 1 HtH + Throwing, 1 Melee + Throwing)
Earth + Water: 1

Advocate
Enchant + Tank: 4 (1 Melee, 1 Gun, 1 Spell, 1 None)
Enchant + Bless: 1
Transfer + Bless: 1
Other: 1
Undetermined: 1

-

Edit: Factioned vs. Unfactioned Playerbase Breakdown - 03/11/20
271 - Tier 3, Factioned
61 - Tier 1 & 2, Factioned
93 - Unfactioned (any Tier)

Tier 3 Alignment Breakdown by Class
Unaligned - 130 (~41%)
Evil - 76 (~28%)
Good - 65 (~23%)

(Thanks to Tommy!)

Population by Faction Alignment (All Tiers) - 04/11/20
Unaligned - 65 (~19.4%)
Evil - 142 (~42.3%)
Good - 127 (~38%)

Proportion of Active Factioned Characters vs. Total Created in Breath 4
As in, how many of the total characters of each class created this Breath are currently active (and factioned). This is interesting because it tells you which classes have become more or less popular currently compared to the Breath as a whole. Everything is rounded so it's not accurate to a decimal place.

Average Class Proportion: 15.7% (Lower than this means it's become less popular, higher means moreso)

Eternal Soldier: 14.7%
Nexus Champion: 20%
Revenant: 15.3%
Conduit: 24.7%
Lich: 15.8%
Wizard: 13.2%

Holy Champion: 17.4%
Divine Herald: 5.2%
Seraph: 12.3%
Redeemed: 10%
Advocate: 21.1%
Lightspeaker: 15.9%
Archon: 22.4%

Infernal Behemoth: 19.8%
Doom Howler: 18.9%
Void Walker: 13.9%
Fallen: 6.8%
Dark Oppressor: 20%
Wyrm Master: 12.5%
Corruptor: 13.8%

-

A few things I noticed with the class distribution while I was going through the lists, these are just my personal takes -

1) Lower-to-moderate popularity classes tend to appear in multiples in factions they are in. Examples - the 8 Corruptors are split across only 4 (maybe 5) factions. TDS has 5 Dark Oppressors, with OS having another 2. Although Infernal Behemoth is a fairly popular class, many Evil clans[Translator's Note: clan means faction] don't even have one, but those that do again have several. RRF lacks a single Wizard, with TMC having 5 (okay, that one figures), and Right Angles' 2 members being 2 Wizards. I'm not exactly sure why this is - I know from my own clan that some people choose their T3 class based on someone else in the clan they've seen tearing it up while they've been levelling, but that doesn't explain the concentration of older characters. It's not really anything I could explain, it's just an interesting and noticeable trend.

2) There's a slight correlation between 'class strength' and popularity, but not a huge one IMO. Fallen and Redeemed are both struggling classes and are also very unpopular; Conduit and Revenant are strong classes and very popular, but there are also very strong classes currently which're fairly underrepresented, like Wyrm Master and Seraph, but...

3) I think there's a much stronger correlation between the versatility of classes and their popularity. Conduit is extremely good at everything besides direct attacking people. Revenant is great at hunting and attacking, but also has amazing utility with Day Walker. Meanwhile, Divine Herald is objectively a solid class but is really pigeonholed in what it can do - if it's not using its AP to attack something, then it's basically a Mortal. Seraph is amazing but technically has the same problem if it's not attacking or being attacked, its only utility is in their offline defence ability. Both turncoat classes are only able to do well in really specific situations. As a theory it makes sense, since having AP cycles where you can't really do anything that well at Level 30 is a pretty miserable experience, but there are several exceptions as well like Void Walker, so it's just a rough idea.

I was gonna say something else I think, but I forgot it and I've probably said enough! I'll update the numbers in a few months either way, if I'm still sapient.

Last edited by Alyss on Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:08 am; edited 4 times in total
tommy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what an awesome breakdown! So interesting to see what the factioned characters are all doing.
That must have taken a while to compile! Thankyou for your dedication!

If I added up all the T3 classes correctly its 271, so if someone had back end info to work out how many T3s are currently in the game (considering there are currently 425 non-idled characters), you could work out how many feral T3s there were (even if you couldn't accurately get all their classes).

Interesting that neutral classes make up 41% of the current factioned T3s (130), with Good 23% (65) and evil 28% (76) ( I left off the decimal points Razz )
Alyss
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Tommy! And good point on the numbers with ferals, I hadn't thought about that... I can't work-out the distribution of ferals, even of their tier breakdown never mind classes unfortunately, but I can at least provide a decent go at the numbers of ferals there are.

I went back and if I didn't miscount, there are 61 factioned Tier 1 & Tier 2 characters.

So with 271 factioned Tier 3s and 61 factioned T1/2s for a total of 332 factioned chars out of 425 non-idle, that would mean there's 93 feral characters at the moment. That's actually a much lower proportion than I expected, personally...? The feral experience is a lot of downsides with few benefits to make-up for it, but it still seemed like a decently popular choice to me. More than 3 factioned chars per feral, I wonder if it's always been that way in recent months?
Trialist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this probably isn't TOO surprising. Neutral classes have always outperformed good/evil ones, probably because the can join either faction. After all, an enchanting Conduit build can work equally well in nearly any faction you'd want to join. Everybody wants enchantments, after all.

Not sure what's going on with the concentration of particular classes in particular factions, though. It could be that some factions are either thematically or functionally more useful for certain classes. An evil faction that's frequently raiding pet shields could probably use an IB or two, while one who doesn't might find theirs somewhat bored. (Factions which frequently have members explode into neutral aggressive tentacles might encourage IBs as well.) Plus, something which seems a good fit for an older, experienced player might seem a good fit to another older player, which could be why the same class ends up in the same faction several times. At least, that's just a speculation.

I will agree that versatility is a big draw in a class. At least as a full time feral, classes which can do things are better than classes which can't do much. There's a point when hitting harder doesn't mean too much and so being able to move around, find things, or just do something interesting is better than saving 2 AP killing a sleeping T3.
Alyss
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the main post with a few more statistics that came to mind!

I take your point Trialist, although it's weird since there's definitely outliers as well... like, Ragged Philanthropists has all of the active factioned Divine Heralds, and they don't raid at all which is Divine's best role. But I definitely know of people like you say being in factions which underutilise their class' strengths and being reduced to arse-scratching through no fault of the clan itself. I'm definitely more sensitive to versatility than more people, and like you say a lot of people care about it - even if my Holy Champion can't raid or hunt, I'm pretty much immediately wanting to die since the class is such a joke at anything that isn't some kind of combat.
sohdbrimks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks for gathering all this info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: