Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [Enchant] New enchantment type: self-repair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Enchant] New enchantment type: self-repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badziew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: [Enchant] New enchantment type: self-repair Reply with quote

Exactly what it says on the tin!

This idea will probably be disliked by anyone who has not farmed "Items Repaired" badges yet, but please hear me out Wink

The basic concept is simple: a new type of enchantment that slowly repairs the item it is put on, ultimately bringing it to pristine quality. Unfortunately it is not as reliable as actual hand-made repairs so it has a chance to botch the job and either do nothing helpful or even damage the item instead of repairing it.

I have two conflicting ideas for actual mechanics, they seem equally difficult to implement but have different probability distributions.

Mechanical details (variant A):
- Every AP tick a single RNG check is done for each item with the self-repair enchantment, a random number is drawn from some range (e.g. 0%-100%), high value mean the item was repaired one step on quality scale (e.g. from average to good), low value mean the item was damaged one step (e.g. from average to worn), and middle value mean nothing has happened at all.
- Exact chances will of course need to be tweaked for balance, but I'm imagining something like 10% chance for repair, 5% chance for damage, and resulting 85% to do nothing.

Mechanical details (variant B):
- Every AP tick multiple RNG checks are done, one check for every instance of the self-repair enchantment on the item. Like in variant A, a "good" result means the item was repaired one step, a "bad" result means the item was damaged, and the most probable result is that nothing happened at all.
- Like in variant A, exact chances should be tweaked for balance, but they should definitely be lower to compensate for the fact that the enchantment may be triggered multiple times for the same item

As you can see, the variant A is more "stable" and "reliable", while variant B gives more wild results for items with multiple copies of the enchantment - on rare cases it could even completely repair item from destroyed to pristine on a single tick... or go all they way down from pristine to destroyed Twisted Evil

I am also not sure which potion type should be the base of the enchantment, as many types thematically fit the enchantment: Healing, Regeneration, Magic Recovery, etc.
Fellis
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 100 AP ticks a day so 10%/5% would still give you a pristine item from destroyed, per day on average Razz

I think it would be better if it was checked once per day, would allow you to fine tune the chances and it would be more swingy instead of more consistent.

This is kind of an interesting suggestion, I think it might be a bit too strong though. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would give up +1 damage on an enchanted weapon in order to not take 60cp of repair tree. Especially with enchantments being more durable next breath.

My instinct would be something like a 33% chance to repair once a day would probably be the break even point? This would really only apply to feral hunters or semi-feral factioned characters and I don't think they are taking more than a few item degrades per few days. Anyone factioned and a semi-active raider can probably get their stuff repaired faster if they are going without repair skills

Last edited by Fellis on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Badziew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! Of course I miscalculated accumulated daily result and the numbers should be much lower...

I suggested extending AP tick because this is something that already exists in mechanics, while as far as I know there is no such thing as daily tick so it felt awkward to introduce a new type of tick only for this operation.
Fellis
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a daily tick! It's at 0000. It's mostly an upkeep thing, I don't think any player facing game mechanics are tied to it aside from the Great Wyrm spawn.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellis wrote:
There is a daily tick! It's at 0000. It's mostly an upkeep thing, I don't think any player facing game mechanics are tied to it aside from the Great Wyrm spawn.

Stuff that happens on the daily tick, for the curious:
- The Great Wyrm spawns and the Crystal Guardian has a chance to spawn, if either has been slain.
- The Heavenly Host and Legions of the Abyss set strongholds and announce the location to members, if that's possible (they aren't stopped by a cooldown timer) and they lack strongholds.
- The Heavenly Host and Legions of the Abyss set friendly/hostility (permanently) to any factions that were made that day. This is not announced to members - these factions are just assumed to be friendly to every faction of their alignment and hostile to all others.
- Once a week, the Ziggurat Challenge declares winners and grants rewards.
- Superheavy item spawns are run.
- [DATA EXPUNGED] in Breath 5.
Badziew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case it would indeed be better if the self-repairs also triggered on daily tick instead of AP tick. My intention was to keep that randomness factor, to let players watch (and frustrate over Twisted Evil ) various per-tick fluctuations instead of just going out to sleep and checking final result many hours later.
Lagn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would someone use this enchant type over the durability enchant? Perhaps it could be rolled into the durability enchant effect.
Fellis
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durability does not effect the death decay chance, I'd more question why people would want to use Durability over this. The answer is when tanking pet attacks you definitely want to reduce the on-hit decay chance to zero if possible otherwise you can easily lose a piece of armor within the scope of a raid as a tank.

This does have a similar effect of maintaining the uptime on pristine as long as possible, but I think there are more advantages to a self-repair feature.

Badziew wrote:
In that case it would indeed be better if the self-repairs also triggered on daily tick instead of AP tick. My intention was to keep that randomness factor, to let players watch (and frustrate over Twisted Evil ) various per-tick fluctuations instead of just going out to sleep and checking final result many hours later.

I don't think attaching a harmful effect to a voluntary enchantment is a good way to balance it. Taking downsides has to have upsides, and there is already a lot of inherent cost in getting an enchant applied to your stuff.

A better use of an RNG effect like that would be some sort of jury-rig skill that let you attempt to repair any kind of item up to say good, but then incorporates a chance to degrade/destroy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Suggestion Drafts All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: