Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - The fine line between demon RP and griefing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The fine line between demon RP and griefing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: The fine line between demon RP and griefing Reply with quote

Quote:
Rule 1: Play reasonably nicely. Just because we're all a bunch of sociopaths in a murder simulator doesn't mean we have to be dicks about it. Cases of griefing or harassment may be brought to my attention

As the title states, I want to know what people think about this. Where do you draw the line between demon RP and griefing/harassment? I expect everyone to have differing opinions on this, I am even unsure of my own.

Is vulturing as a demon griefing? Is killing mortals as a demon griefing? Is it appropriate to RP that your demon has a grudge against a certain character and seeks them out for endless murder?

Honestly, this is something I've been thinking about for a long time. How does everyone else differentiate the two?
Sac
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I've always looked at it is:

Are your actions aimed at having an effect on the character, or the player behind them?

Obviously even with the former there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but to me it depends on the intent behind the actions.
FeetOnFire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The fine line between demon RP and griefing Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that vulturing is always okay, unless there's a specific agreement between factions not to vulture. I can't imagine chastising a feral for vulturing. You don't like being vultured? Then don't hang around in your downed SH.

Killing mortals isn't griefing in the slightest. Their AP cost to respawn is negligible. Just hit that respawn button and get back to it. Easy.

I find no issue with a character RPing a grudge against a particular other character, then seeking them out to try and kill them, demon or otherwise.

Last edited by FeetOnFire on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pikanchion
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The fine line between demon RP and griefing Reply with quote

Repth wrote:
Quote:
Rule 1: Play reasonably nicely. Just because we're all a bunch of sociopaths in a murder simulator doesn't mean we have to be dicks about it. Cases of griefing or harassment may be brought to my attention

As the title states, I want to know what people think about this. Where do you draw the line between demon RP and griefing/harassment? I expect everyone to have differing opinions on this, I am even unsure of my own.

Is vulturing as a demon griefing? Is killing mortals as a demon griefing? Is it appropriate to RP that your demon has a grudge against a certain character and seeks them out for endless murder?

Honestly, this is something I've been thinking about for a long time. How does everyone else differentiate the two?

None of those are griefing, they're all things that some would object to but they're not really malicious towards other players. And that's the line, when it goes from characters to players, hunting down a specific player for endless murder is griefing, hunting down a specific character isn't. Same would go for anything from insults to anything else, if you find yourself acting differently because you know whose alt it is, that's probably you crossing the line.
Weirdomen
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Demon" RP and griefing? Hey, why are you discriminating demons?
And where's Claude when you need him? Laughing
Repth
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdomen wrote:
"Demon" RP and griefing? Hey, why are you discriminating demons?
And where's Claude when you need him? Laughing

Hehe. No intent to discriminate against demons, it just seems a lot fuzzier for demons than for angels.
Teksura
Nexus Fixture
Nexus Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule is intentionally kept vague, and for good reason.

If there exists a hard line drawn in the sand, there will always be people who will gladly walk up to the line and see how far they can push it, all while arguing they aren't breaking the rule. Obviously, that'd be a pretty toxic scenario. NW vets can probably come up with a couple names thinking of this problem.

So, our rule is a bit more vague. Use your best judgment to determine where you think the line is, and then take a few steps back away from that just for good measure. As the rest of the rule goes:

Quote:
This doesn't mean you can come complaining every time you're raided, but it does mean that if someone hits you every single day for a week, I might have a talk with them and figure out why.

Please note the very specific wording here. The only promise I make in the example given is that I might try to figure out why. If someone raids you every day for a week and when asked they say "Because they keep setting up 4 tiles away from us and we don't want them that close", the most I'll do is pass along that message and wish you the best of luck. Wink

Griefing and Harassment is a very serious accusation. We treat all of these very seriously. That said, as above there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do certain things. It's all about the context and the specifics, so much so that the question is too broad to even answer.

The question is so generalized, it's like asking "Is it ever OK to hit a woman?". It's easy to spit out a knee jerk "No" on that. But what if she is your boxing instructor? then you kind of have to do it or else she'll hit you a lot and then tell you that you're a terrible boxer.
Lore Developer
Lore Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teksura wrote:
This doesn't mean you can come complaining every time you're raided, but it does mean that if someone hits you every single day for a week, I might have a talk with them and figure out why.

Thanks for the thorough post and extension of the rule. I just copied what EagleWiz said in IRC, the other half you brought up definitely addresses some thoughts, particularly with the "I might have a talk with them and figure out why."

I'm a big proponent of demons playing as, go figure, demons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Game Mechanics Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: