Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Gun-Wizard spell familiarity advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gun-Wizard spell familiarity advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elkerlyc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Gun-Wizard spell familiarity advice? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Recently I started playing (again) after a rather long absence.

My sorcerer "Elkerlyc" is considering his options for spell familiarity.

I was going for Cold but now that I think o it...
Electricity? Acid? Something else?

What would you recommend and why?

Thanks a bunch in advance. Smile
- Elkerlyc has become a Wizard ! (2014-10-09 21:33:03)
- Elkerlyc has become a Wizard ! (2015-12-03 07:19:58).

- Elkerlyc has maxxed out! (2016-03-03 17:31:36).

Quixotic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold is an excelent all-around choice. Electricity used to be bugged with gun-wizards, making you still spend ammunition when using the Electric shot. I do not know whether this was fixed yet.
Now Acid shot is simply unavailable so this would not be something you can use as a gunwizard.
My gunwizard went for Impact last breath and is going for it again mostly because it is cheaper, but most of the armour items in-game can soak some Impact while cold is rarer. If you think you have enough CP to fit all you want for your build, go for Cold, by all means. It remains cheap enough and is overall better than Impact for a gunwizard. Note that no matter what affinity you go for, you still retain the ability to use other types of shots, although with less damage output, but it provides diversity when you are met with an immune/high soak target.
elkerlyc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wise to add a second familiarity? (Impact for example)
- Elkerlyc has become a Wizard ! (2014-10-09 21:33:03)
- Elkerlyc has become a Wizard ! (2015-12-03 07:19:58).

- Elkerlyc has maxxed out! (2016-03-03 17:31:36).

Quixotic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkerlyc wrote:
Is it wise to add a second familiarity? (Impact for example)

That sounds expensive for what would be very situational, at best.

Here's a quick attempt at a basic cold gunwizard:

Quote:
Level CP Skill
1 10 Ranged Combat
1 0 -- Saved --
2 0 -- Saved --
3 0 -- Saved --
4 20 Firearms
5 0 -- Saved --
6 0 -- Saved --
7 0 -- Saved --
8 0 -- Saved --
9 30 Advanced Firearms
10 0 -- Saved --
11 0 -- Saved --
12 10 Repair Item
12 20 Gunsmith
12 30 Master Gunsmith
12 0 Spellcraft
13 5 Frostbite
13 9 Ice Dart
13 10 Ice Strike
13 12 Frost Charge
14 10 Sharp Vision
15 0 -- Saved --
16 10 Sense Magic
17 10 First Aid
17 10 Search
17 20 Heal Self
18 40 Mystic Vigor
19 0 -- Saved --
20 0 Magical Reserves
21 0 -- Saved --
22 0 -- Saved --
23 30 Arcane Marksman
24 0 -- Saved --
25 60 Arcane Siphon
25 30 Blink
26 30 Cosmic Affinity
26 60 Cosmic Oneness
27 14 Arctic Bolt
27 15 Glacierblast
28 0 -- Saved --
29 0 -- Saved --

This bare-bones build leaves you with 125cp, not counting any exploration badge or other badges you may find on your way. Some choices there can be modified (Mystic Vigour could be swapped out, Sorcerer's Might is usually a good skill to pick) but overall this is the minimum.
Now what else could you do with these spare cp:
* 90 cp - Greater Arcane Siphon. While not absolutely necessary (I know a gunwiz who rolled around without buying it last breath, though they had Alchemy + Transmute instead and always had plenty Magic Recovery Potions at hand), it is an extremely useful skill which allows you to spend less MP when you attack, effectively spending only 1MP/attack when you hit your target. If that's any indication, my Gunwizard-to-be is planning to grab every single MaxMP skill and currently finishing to grind lore, because the MP you have at hand is your ammunition. Greater Arcane Siphon makes your life much easier and better.
* 60 cp - Cosmic Mastery. Quite an expensive upgrade for 15 extra max MP, but see argument above regarding Gunwizards and MP.
* Various costs: Greater Glyph Erasure, Reveal, Mystic Shield: these can be good to have at hand if you are factioned and raiding. Mystic Shield is purely optional but helps you sub in as a pseudotank if your team falls short.
* 60 cp - Arcane Affinity. One of my favourite skills. Join an Evil faction and the Darksoul Cabal guild to see your Mystic Vigour costs drop down to 4MP. Yes, for 4MP you gain 1AP. You can literally use Sorcerer's Might to regenerate a few AP, in a pinch or while in your Stronghold. Add in the extra MP you gain from Cosmic Oneness and you see where this is going, you get up to 144AP/day instead of everyone else's 96 (provided you sacrifice all your MP into AP).
* 10 cp - Strength. Makes inventory management easier, which is always cool when you want to carry around maybe 1 rifle and 1 pump-action shotgun or other guns with different enchantments. Add in an extra 20 cp for Stamina, making you generally harder to kill and giving more leeway when using Sorcerer's Might.

tl;dr I find Gunwizards can end up being a bit short on spare cp (I'll link my planned build later, don't have it around) so I would not spend cp on getting a 2nd spell tree. Most of the time using your own damage type (Cold in your case) is plenty and the occasional enemies who immune/soak it well can be dealt with through other shot types at the cost of a few extra shots. I think there are much better ways to use your cp.

EDIT: Byakuren's planned build is here (skill order irrelevant). Note that she does not even have First Aid, Strength+Stamina, GGE, Reveal or Mystic Shield, meaning I could still grind for more. But then again I also made the choice to pay 60cp for a mere 15 extra MP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Build Advice All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: