Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Class and skills for a pacifist tourist (RP character)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class and skills for a pacifist tourist (RP character)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badziew

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Class and skills for a pacifist tourist (RP character) Reply with quote

I am not interested in fighting, I just want to wander the world, to visit all the exotic places Nexus has to offer. Which class and skills would suit me best?

I am mostly interested in traveling skills (for obvious reasons), but some passive survival skills would be helpful too, as I will most certainly have to sleep in dangerous places.
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things you can do while traveling would include
* Search (find stuff, find books and read them)
* Engineering (repair doors, turn on and off power)

You probably also want
* Hide (to cut down on dying so much)
* First Aid (to patch yourself up)
* Planar Protection (don't take damage just from walking in Stygia and Elysium)
* Sense Magic (because everyone needs to know where the portals go and what the potions are)
* Strength (lets you carry more stuff)

You might consider Sense Morality too, since evil people are more likely to simply kill you out of hand than good ones.

Edit: No need to bother with Swim - anyone can Swim; the Swim skill just lowers the cost and keeps you from drowning if you idle out on water.
Badziew

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Unfortunately I already bought Swim, but oh well, it is not so expensive and I should get a few CP from exploration Badges.

I am more concerned with class choice. Lich has philacteries and cheaper re spawn, some classes have Flight, other teleportation skills... there is a bit too much choice for my taste... Rolling Eyes
Saint_Jimmy
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want travel and to not be found, you have two main choices. The first is Fallen, the other is Void Walker.

Fallen pros:

Shadowskulk requires no maintenance whatsoever. You hide, you can wander off for a week or so, and assuming you haven't been found (which you won't have been),you'll still be as hard to find as ever.

Infernal Jets mean that so long as you're travelling in a straight line, you'll get your per tile travel cost down to 0. So that's nice.

You can pretend to be both good aligned and in the same faction! Might dissuade a few people from killing you.

Fallen cons: Gotta burn 100 cp on T2 skills that you'll lose access to.

Shadowskulk requires you to stay hidden and not move, otherwise you'll need to hide again.

I think Infernal Jets resets after stepping inside? Not sure, haven't played a fallen.

VW pros: Invisibility is nice.

Etherstepping is free halved travel costs

Cornerstepping means you can go from building to building without going outside.

Stepping stones means easy travel back to places you've already been!

VW cons:VW are scum.

Other classes might be worth looking into - Redeemed can be tough to kill, and also get free half cost travel. Seraphs can be really hard to kill, but their travel skill isn't as good as the ones previously mentioned. NCs can be tough to kill while offline and their travel skill lets you teleport to any tile within 10/20 tiles.
invisime

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like two of the support classes for solo pacifists as well. If you're not going to be fighting, you may as well make potions and/or enchant items! With the right build, among other things, this ensures that you soak at least 6 to each of the enchantable damage-types.

Conduit
You can be (more or less) permanently immune to all three charge attack damage types: Arcane, Holy, and Unholy. This, plus some innate dodginess, one of the best travel skills in the game (it comes with the ability to be ignored by pets!), some really great crafting skills, and the insane AP gain from Mystic Vigor make this a really attractive traveler. (See, for example, a young Adolf Hitler)

Advocate
You are permanently immune to Unholy and angels have no real reason to attack you. This makes glyphing vs. evil pretty viable. You get the second-best innate damage aura in the game, and can achieve the technically highest effective HP in the game (inviolate form). With proper skill selection a feral advocate can out-tank a feral seraph with every skill. If you want to be able to have some fun with people without hurting them, Anoint and Holy Transfer have some cool (and silly) applications.

If you take either of these options, I highly recommend Shadow Wrap, Alchemy (with Transmutation), Mystic Shield, and Blur.
invisime

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint_Jimmy wrote:
VW cons:VW are scum.

I lol'd. For real though, they make the best ferals.
olblueeyes
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being killed by invisime is a practically a rite of passage! Cherish it, always.

More seriously, I love RP, and I love 'tourist'-type classes in roguelikes, so a few ideas!

'Perma-mortal': Just mortal skills and items. I think this'd actually be a pain in the long run, though.
Something like a good-aligned Fallen tourist is also pretty amusing, too; fallen for so long that their infernal hell-machinery has started to wear out, and the whole 'war against heaven' thing is a bit, well, tired out...

Seconding Advocate, though, because I've wanted to 'abuse' Anoint since I saw the skill.
It's not really good enough to plan a build around, I think, but doing silly potion-hurls at random travelers just sounds so fun..! Cool
Anyway, if I see you around in your travels, regardless of what you settle on, I'll make sure to welcome you with proper hospitality!

P.S. One last fun option - Infernal Behemoth with a very tiny case of luggage they haul with them everywhere.
Such huge bulk!... and such a teeny-tiny little travel case...
Hahaha!
Badziew

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advices! I was finally able to make a choice Smile

Both Good and Evil classes does not really suit a neutral tourist - which is good because it reduces number of available options Wink Furthermore, if I go a fully pacifist route, then Nexus Champion is also a bad choice, as I would have to buy some combat skills from Myrmidon to fulfill requirement for T3 - and I hate unused skills.

So that basically leaves me with two choices: either Lich (for easy respawning) or Conduit ( for easy travel). And Lich seems more combat-oriented in general, which, finally, leaves me with just one sensible choice: a Conduit.

@olblueeyes:
Feel free to pat me in the back, if we ever meet. Just please do not use too much force or I might break Wink
olblueeyes
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be my pleasure, Badziew. Very Happy

Happy travels!
Kylinn
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a black-footed ferret applauds your choice. While factioned, he supports the rights of his Conduit brethren everywhere. Except the ones who join demonic factions and break the law. (Breaking things he doesn't care about so much, because - more XP!)
Sweedee
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint_Jimmy wrote:

I think Infernal Jets resets after stepping inside? Not sure, haven't played a fallen

It does not, actually! Only changing direction and death remove your [-direction-]bound status.
UsernamePending
Custom Title
Custom Title

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badziew wrote:
And Lich seems more combat-oriented in general, which, finally, leaves me with just one sensible choice: a Conduit.
Average Joe averagely applauds your choice.
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW IS 42 KILLS AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: FOURTY TWOOOO
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: IS ONLY AN A
8:17 PM - BlackHeartKabal: HOW DO YOU GET AN S ON LEBLANC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Build Advice All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: