Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Dev Blog: Badges and what to do about them
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dev Blog: Badges and what to do about them
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catvom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

CP Loss   Characters   Percentile
0             219          76.0%
5              13          80.6%
10             11          84.4%
15              5          86.1%
20              7          88.5%
25              4          89.9%
30              5          91.7%
35              1          92.0%
40              2          92.7%
45              5          94.4%
50              3          95.5%
55              2          96.2%
60              2          96.9%
70              1          97.2%
75              1          97.6%
80              1          97.9%
85              2          98.6%
95              1          99.0%
110             1          99.3%
140             1          99.7%
150             1          100.0%

Thanks for the data.
By my maths that makes me the holder of both the top spots (I was worried that someone was catching up to Catvom, until I realized it was one of my alts Smile )
So with (almost) the full set it works out to be a loss of about 1/3 of the bonus CP from badges. 300ish bonus CP (instead of 450ish) is still plenty, I can certainly live with that.
Lagn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylinn wrote:
BobGeneric wrote:
This means that if we've done our job properly, you should expect to be able to be "the best" at one or two things with your available CP if that's the way you want to go... there should never be, "I need more CP to become effective at X" if you are willing to focus on X... .

Speaking only for my Conduit Smith/Enchanter, he has indeed felt very squeezed for CP with mostly focusing on just his chosen path. Mostly in this case meaning that, yes, he has a few skills outside the strict range, but really not many - and Sense Morality is pretty important (not absolutely necessarily, I know, but very very useful) in a Good faction, First Aid is likewise extremely useful for showing friend and enemy HP, and, well, someone needs to be able to cast Glyph Against Evil and Erase Glyphs. I don't count Alchemy as outside since potions are such an intrinsic part of enchanting.

Nowhere in his wildest dreams could my character ever gain some of the skills another Conduit might take for granted, like Arcane anything or any Conduit combat or Portal spells. And that's fine; one always makes trade offs. But he still had to count on badge XP to get just the focused Smithing/Enchanting skills he (I? we?) wanted. And I am so hoping and looking forward to a future where a simple ferret Smith/Gunsmith/Bowyer/Enchanter can plan a build without needing to count on badge XP. Smile

I think enchanters in general suffer from this problem, since they have to learn spells and skills that often don't provide much benefit besides being able to enchant things. Perhaps if there were a Tier 2 skill that allowed for limited enchantment as a pre-requisite to Tier 3 enchantment, it could increase the enjoyment of enchanter builds and possibly discard with the need for learning spells (perhaps enchanting could use spellgem charges instead, for example- knowing the spell making it so you don't use up any charges). Maybe enchanting could give XP as well, to encourage the use of enchanting while leveling up and not just waiting until you're level 30?
plscks
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagn wrote:
I think enchanters in general suffer from this problem, since they have to learn spells and skills that often don't provide much benefit besides being able to enchant things. Perhaps if there were a Tier 2 skill that allowed for limited enchantment as a pre-requisite to Tier 3 enchantment, it could increase the enjoyment of enchanter builds and possibly discard with the need for learning spells (perhaps enchanting could use spellgem charges instead, for example- knowing the spell making it so you don't use up any charges). Maybe enchanting could give XP as well, to encourage the use of enchanting while leveling up and not just waiting until you're level 30?

While I do feel you there about having a bunch of spells that you really don't use, currently enchanting does provide XP, pretty good XP at that! With that noted, while the spell aspect is tough to get used to, it isn't an unfair trade. My janitor Conduit feels really rounded out to me, most enchant types available, pretty good damage output, effective vs good/evil wards, ability to struggle through tanking pets, glyphs, glyph erasure, potions, mastersmith, and I could have ditched some of the glyphs and structural engineering and picked up the portal cleaving skill or Heal Self/Mystic Vigor. All in all I really don't feel like I've been short changed with that character.

plscks-20 | Davington-25 | James Ford-26 | Wiggles-1297 | Desmond-1298 | Richard Feynman-2769 | a random janitor-2772 | Kaz-12345 | Advocado-12867
SaltedSalmon
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:

We did ask for comment, and it's been over a year in which some players have joined or rejoined

And so, I'm bumping this.

I had a idea earlier of having a Mixed system. Here's how it would work:
Lets say that we settle on the current badge system + a achievement system of sorts and you're a new player. You have a early badge that nets you 10 CP, but you completed a achievement for exploring Stygia or something that nets you 30 CP. You'd only have 30 CP, since the game only gives you CP from one system, which is whichever you'd get more CP from.
The system could then be balanced so the new option is more attractive for newbies, but resets every breath.

Kandarin wrote:

● Nexus is primarily a social game of factions and organized warfare, and many badges are an asocial activity. We've made recent changes to help people get some badges more naturally during normal play (items crafted for faction alchemists, pets killed for raid tanks, etc), but overall, current badge mechanics strongly incentivize isolating your characters from others for a long time and doing repetitive things.

Yeah, there are quite a few odd badges like drinking or target shooting that are antisocial.
However, isn't this a symptom of the game having no lategame?
Since B5 is aiming to fix that, adding new badges will be possible. Badges for infusing tiles, killing wild pets (Split from the badge for killing player pets), gaining renown for your guild, etc. should mean that people get more Character Points from playing.
RKBBQ
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good points have been made already, but I did want to ask:

Are door mechanics still going to be around in B5? They're very clearly a legacy mechanic from UD (and one that was functionally worthless in UD as it was) that offer no real gameplay depth to NC outside of grinding (and, maybe, MO gaming).

If doors go, though, that's 75CP worth of badges (and a 10CP skill) that also disappear, and that raises the question of what to do with characters with these badges/stats moving forward.

(I'm also a bit ambivalent about the power grind too, but it's something a lot more integrated into the game.)
Lagn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a thought, since Badge CP is going to get rewarded at Level 30- perhaps instead of being immediately rewarded upon maxxing out, badges could instead unlock further "levels" that grant the Badge CP in increments. This could extend the time that players have a gameplay incentive to do things while also removing the abrupt power-spike that would occur with a huge CP injection at level 30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: