Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Wild Mass Guessing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild Mass Guessing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatoneguy
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Wild Mass Guessing Reply with quote

I've always been interested in the lore aspect of Nexus Clash, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion about it on the forums. So i thought I'd create a WMG thread. For those of you who don't know Wild Mass Guessing is a term used by TVTropes It pertains to discussions about works where the Lore is ambiguous and open to interpretation (So like this) So if you have a Theory about the lore post it here.
I'll Go first
Baraas didn't shape this breath, Azazel did.

Reasoning:
Laurentia seems to have had an iffy at best loyalty to the principle of cooperation. Not only was it founded by a guy who may have murdered his sister for leadership, but despite their great wealth they never made much of an effort to help sunrise. Basically the whole cooperation thing seems to be an elaborate ruse. You know whose the Elder Power of elaborate ruses is? Azazel! Not only that but the other planes are both mirror images of each other. To travel between them you just need to ask some guy to "show you things from a different perspective." That also sounds a lot more like Azazel than Baraas. So in conclusion Azazel is not only still alive he/she shaped this breath
Tathers
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that theory.
Xirvi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this thread is old but I only peruse these forums once every few months, if ever, and wanted to chime in. I made the Laurentia map and, along with Kandarin, wrote its backstory. Unfortunately, we were never able to really "complete" Laurentia in the way I wanted to. While the missing parts are essentially written, I am not a dev or involved in Clash in any way anymore. Laurentia will always remain unfinished. You, the player, get to fill in the gaps with what you feel is best. That said, I will try to fill in some of the gaps here:

1) Laurentia was technically founded by neither Lucien Moreau nor his son Jacques. The flag has "1832" on it for a good reason — the original settlement predates the Moreau family's presence there. Lucien was its most famous early settler, and Jacques was the one who led it toward unification as a single city. Jacques is complicated — I didn't play up his weird, proto-Marxist political views in the scraps as much as I planned, but that's what he was, though he was a tad insincere since in the end, his talk of empowering the working people ended up creating a new nobility. And no, he didn't kill his sister. The scraps show how Amelie was troubled long before Jacques returned to Laurentia.

2) Any prosperous place in the world comes at the expense of certain segments of the population. Name a prosperous, idyllic country and I will tell you how it has a dark side. Laurentia is no exception. In theory, Laurentia was to perfectly embody all of those "Baraasian" ideals — cooperation, hard work, etc. In practice, it was ruined by human nature. Modern Laurentia was meant to be a story of bad institutions (for example, City Administration) populated by good people (for example, Administrator Kojima), who are nonetheless unable to change those institutions because the institutions have become one of the things Baraas makes best: machines.

3) Cooperation in the modern world often has a seedy undercurrent. Look at most of the western world's major political parties. Some say, "we cooperate or we will suffer," while others say, "you will cooperate with each other, or else." This is a gross oversimplification of it, mind, but that's as succinct as I can put it. It's human nature to not want to cooperate sometimes and Laurentia's institutions had an unfortunately heavy-handed way of fighting that instinct. I was essentially faced with either making Laurentia a flawless, spotless technocratic utopia, or a flawed human city that had lofty, if somewhat contradictory, ambitions. I went with the latter.

---

Laurentia was always meant to be a subtle indictment (by its writer) of modern governments, technocracy, and society in general, but especially the ways that our technology-obsessed society often ignores the ways technology is used against us. In the grand scheme, we 21st century folks have it really good — so did most Laurentians. But that came at the expense of certain people's ability to prosper, since prosperity pretty much always does. Finally, re: Sunrise, if you read the newspaper articles, the city was about to embark on a massive, expensive revitalization project to fix the district (which had been in hard times since before the 1980 Banco de Sunrise heist), but the globe-spanning war tanked Laurentia's economy. Who always pays the price when it's time for austerity? The poor.

As a final note, the winning power from the previous breath only shapes the Valhalla plane: not the aligned planes of Elysium and Stygia. So even if Azazel had shaped this breath, he would not have had a say on the aligned planes. And also, I am really glad you made this post. Thank you.
Thatoneguy
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I never expected anyone to really respond to that. Thanks!
I guess my train of thought was that since everything in Laurentia seemed to have a dualistic element to it. And since Azazel was the EP of both truth and lies. They just sort of meshed. I had actually noticed the 1832 thing on the flag which is what got my gears turning (that an my LIT class got me in an analyzing mood). In a lot of ways everything in the city was based on lies. The son pretended to be a different person to get close to his father. The father built an empire on a false reputation. Some thieves set an explosion to divert attention from the true crime. The city believed in cooperation but refused to cooperate with the outside world. ETC.ETC.

And TV tropes is what got me into this game so I thought I should bring a little trace of TV Tropes to Nexus Clash.

And what the heck I'd like to ask another question. Does Laurentia exist on the same planet as Petra?
Xirvi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome. I'm just really glad to see someone coming up with their own interpretations of Laurentia's backstory. Maybe 20% of what I wrote actually made it into the game, so it's very much incomplete. I wish it was all in there. But maybe it's better as it is, since it gives players the chance to create their own backstories within Laurentia's setting. I don't know, since I haven't played Clash since before b3 ended.

Thatoneguy wrote:
In a lot of ways everything in the city was based on lies.

I majored in history, and a lot of what people accept as history, especially popular history, is based on half-truths or outright falsehoods. Either that, or what people assume about history just isn't there when one looks at the facts. A favourite example of mine is when people say "the American founding fathers said..." as if they were monolithic people who believed the same things, and all of them were utterly virtuous and without fault. It's just not true, but so many people seem to think it is. Is it a malicious lie, necessarily? Not really.

Thatoneguy wrote:
The son pretended to be a different person to get close to his father. The father built an empire on a false reputation.

How do you know that's what Jacques did? (It's not what he did, fwiw.) Lucien was charismatic enough to get hundreds of people to follow him across a continent a la the Oregon Trail to a distant mining outpost on the opposite coast. His reputation was embellished, but not necessarily by him alone. Lucien's empire was just a business empire too, at the end of the day. Only one person bearing the name Moreau was at any point the actual leader of Laurentia: Jonathan Moreau, the first City Administrator.

Thatoneguy wrote:
The city believed in cooperation but refused to cooperate with the outside world.

Laurentia did cooperate with the outside world. Its economy revolved around trade (hence the huge port) and tech export (hence all those futuristic sounding companies in Silver City.) Indeed, it cooperated enough to mediate international treaties! It just refused to join the two main geopolitical factions of its world: the Global Federation (representing first world nations mostly, including the country Laurentia seceded from) and the Coalition (representing poorer nations and those who felt slighted by the Global Federation's policies.) In this respect, Laurentia is meant to be an analogue for Adamant Kinship: choosing not to partake in the clash of the Powers.

Edit: I missed this one:

Quote:
And what the heck I'd like to ask another question. Does Laurentia exist on the same planet as Petra?

Nope. Laurentia's world was called Meropis, and was dominated by a single Pangaea-like continent which Laurentia was in the far northwest of. Petra's world was gripped by a weird globe-spanning miasma that claimed everything but Petra.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this thread got resurrected. Since the Elder Powers got brought up, I ought to explain their role a bit more.

Meropis, a world whose creation was guided by Baraas (a Good power) was governed by systems that had a lot of problems - problems that ultimately destroyed it. That doesn't mean Baraas wasn't good...but while it's really obvious for the Evil ones, all of the Elder Powers have serious flaws in their ideals, flaws that end their worlds (or all civilization in them, which also triggers another Nexal cycle even if the world is still physically there) eventually. If one was able to create a world that sustained itself forever, the cycle of Breaths would end...but that can't happen because all of them have flaws in their ideologies or personalities that they're unable to fix because that would mean compromising things they care deeply about.

This means that as a character in the Nexus, all of your possible choices have serious downsides, including the choice to oppose all the Elder Powers and including the choice to side with no one but yourself. That's tragic, but it's a deliberate world-building design decision - none of your options should be the obvious "right choice", or else the story would be uninteresting.

In Baraas' case, his flaw is that he's unwilling and/or unable to acknowledge the dark side of his ideals of cooperation. He embraces human free will far more than the Alonai or Namm (who would diminish it for the sake of minimizing suffering and punishing the wicked, respectively) but his ideology has far too few checks on the many ways that humans can abuse or exploit cooperation for their own ends. As such, Baraas breaths are unusually vulnerable to harmful forms of collectivism. The end of Meropis demonstrated this - the nuclear war that destroyed civilization there was set off not by warlords or megalomaniacal dictators, but by people following procedure and acting in defense of their allies. Unfortunately, they were utterly unprepared for the magnitude of the consequences of those procedures.

Future Breaths will explore the benefits and flaws of other Elder Powers, though some you can no doubt guess already.

Quote:

When a Breath ends, the matter that composes its world is usually absorbed back into the Source of Creation and recycled to form the next world in the next cycle - thus the word Breath, since the universe is being inhaled and exhaled. There are a lot of things and places that have been removed from the cycle and "kept" (usually by one or more Elder Powers). This is why there are other Planes in the Nexus, some of which players haven't gotten to see yet. However, the lion's share of the matter/energy that exists is the share that is reabsorbed and recycled when Breaths end. This is why the Elder Powers fight the Clash instead of just retreating to rule their own little planes unchallenged - there's a lot more at stake.
SkullFace
Nexus Clash Veteran
Nexus Clash Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kandarin wrote:
When a Breath ends, the matter that composes its world is usually absorbed back into the Source of Creation and recycled to form the next world in the next cycle - thus the word Breath, since the universe is being inhaled and exhaled. There are a lot of things and places that have been removed from the cycle and "kept" (usually by one or more Elder Powers).

Incoming £0.02 worth:

This is why I like the plane of Purgatory, although I'm one of the few who does. As a 'display case' for the Powers it exemplifies the themes and uniqueness of Nexus War.

In Breath 2 we came close with some of the variety e.g. the Wonderland plane but fell short with other 'filler' planes which didn't work well. In this Breath I like the 'mirror' Elysian and Stygian planes, a clever demonstration of the two sides of the coin. I appreciate the work involved in mapping any plane, having done similar elsewhere. Unless you have an automagic tool, all those hours can be so demanding.

Enough from me. Carry on.

Skull Face
Thatoneguy
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New WMG:

Hashaa destroyed Haldos not because he tried to overthrow her but because she loved him.

As the EP in charge of death and stillness she regarded death as her greatest gift and she couldn't justify denying her blessing to her greatest servant any longer and to show the esteem she held him in she chose to do it in person (an act any hasheen cultist would see as the highest honor). She knew he'd resist, but in her mind this was basically her showing him the final lesson she had for him. The Haldos that appeared as a raid boss way back in the day was the part of him she exorcised so he could move on.

As an extension of this WMG Hashaa gives her gifts to the Liches and Revenants that want immortality even though in theory that contradicts her philosophy, because she wants to help them overcome their fear of death, and she gives them these abilities in order to get closer to them (its sort of how a lot of real world religions have a good god that is identified as a friend of sinners even though ostensibly sinners act against their will).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Out-of-Character Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: