Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - [Item] Portable Generator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Item] Portable Generator

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: [Item] Portable Generator Reply with quote

Weight 10? 15?

3? batteries gives 15? minutes of power.

When a character is carrying a powered portable generator, the lights are considered on in that tile for search purposes.

A powered portable generator can be seen in the character's description.
Lagn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't portable generators use gas cans?
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I've never built one. But I thought they were battery powered. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing?

I don't really care what the fuel source is honestly. It's just the overall concept I think would be cool.
Wozzy
Misinformation Meme Machine
Misinformation Meme Machine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-15 sounds fair. 1 gas can for 15 minutes also sounds pretty fair if you put the effort into finding them (weight might be an issue, but if you're using this, you're definitely using strength).

The one change I would make is this:

You have to "Use" it, in which case it becomes places and then starts the 15 minute timer. It can be picked up at any time to pause the timer, but it can be picked up by anyone or outright destroyed (like a target, grants standard target shooting xp and counts towards badges).
Igor_Dolvich
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portable generator should use fuel/gas can... you generate power using electric motor. Batteries, on the other hand, don't generate power, they store power.
Trialist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portable generators tend to be heavy, in the range of 100-200 lbs. They are portable, yes, but that is compared to standard power generators - that is, large stationary buildings. Generators tend to burn gasoline to create energy. If you'd want to hook one up to a random house, then that would also require wiring it to the house's power grid to get the lights up and running. If you aren't looking for something that burns fuel, then I think you are just looking for a large-sized battery of some sort, not a generator.

I suppose a person could cart around a portable generator and fuel, with hooking up a large searchlight to light up rooms instead... but at that point, it's just a glorified flashlight.

Although, the idea of some buildings (especially emergency buildings, like Hospitals) to have their (stationary) own portable generators that can consume fuel to turn the lights on for a limited time would make sense.
SocialJusticeWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placing, fueling, and destroying generators? I'm reminded of Urban Dead. Razz
saulres
So Very Sorry
So Very Sorry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

LOL me too!

I didn't want it to be placed because I wanted it to be something you had to work for. Turning on and off power is a current strategy and all I was looking for was if someone was dedicated enough to use up a bunch of their inventory space to find what they were looking for, good for them. Setting it up on the floor wouldn't accomplish that.
Trialist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that finding an appropriate name would be simple enough once everyone understand what the idea is trying to implement. There are lots of different lights out there. I guess I was just a bit confused as to what was being suggested.

Just to be sure, you are talking about an item that is found and carried by a character, used to effectively turn on the lights in the square the character is in for a short time, and then gets used up? As in, use an item on a square, that square is now considered to have powered lighting for the next 15 minutes/1 hour or whatever an appropriate duration? I assume that it can only be used indoors, and that the character needs to be indoors to use it - otherwise, you could get some silliness such as somebody using the item outside a stronghold to light it up and show how many characters are inside.

Or do you mean an item which the character carries around, and it lights up every tile they visit for 15 minutes/whatever? That would probably be a bit more difficult, given that not all tiles normally have power running to them.
Lagn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulres wrote:
SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

LOL me too!

I didn't want it to be placed because I wanted it to be something you had to work for. Turning on and off power is a current strategy and all I was looking for was if someone was dedicated enough to use up a bunch of their inventory space to find what they were looking for, good for them. Setting it up on the floor wouldn't accomplish that.

Uh, why not use flashlights then? They're already in the game, and they'd be powered by batteries.
Kandarin
Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea but should be part of the Renown Generator ability.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Promoted Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: