Nexus Clash

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. Registered players can create up to three free characters to battle, team up with your friends and explore the worlds of the Nexus! To create a character once you have registered, click on Game Map at the top of the page.
Nexus Clash :: View topic - Breath 5: Tier 2 Myrmidon!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breath 5: Tier 2 Myrmidon!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellis
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Breath 5: Tier 2 Myrmidon! Reply with quote

Hello! I am Fellis, the newest member of the dev team and I’m the one responsible for many of the recent balance changes. Since this is my first announcement, I want to say that anyone should feel free to DM me here or in discord if you would like to talk about any balance changes! I try to keep a variety of playstyles and builds in mind when we make adjustments, but I definitely overlook stuff.

ANYWAY, It’s time for a leak about B5! This and the next few leaks will be focusing on some of the mechanical changes that you can expect in B5. It’s long been a challenge that the game really doesn’t open up till Tier 3, when you get the majority of your power boosts and travel skill. This is tough for new player retention, and makes Tier 2 a really big drag. Why? There’s no good reason so we are going to change that! Our solution is to change up the power curve and take some of that T3 damage and stick it in T2.

First up: Myrmidon!

Quote:
Free Skill: Combination Attack
Passive: When the Myrmidon hits a target, if their next action is an attack against the same target with the same weapon, they get a +2 damage bonus to the next attack for making a two-step "combination attack." If the Myrmidon takes any other action, changes targets, or hits with the second attack in the combination, the bonus reverts to zero.

Okay, okay this is just Strong Attack (+2 damage over 2 attacks). But we have more skills than that!

Quote:
(40 CP) Combination Adept: The Myrmidon's "combination attack" is extended another step; i.e., If the Myrmidon hits the same target twice in a row, the combination extends to a third attack with a bonus twice the original bonus before reverting to zero. So if two attacks in a combination hit, the third attack would be made with a +4 damage bonus (for a combination damage bonus set of +0/+2/+4)

(20 CP) Combination Master (Child of Combination Adept): The Myrmidon's "combination attack" is extended to a fourth step; i.e., If the Myrmidon hits the same target thrice in a row, the combination extends to a fourth attack, with a bonus thrice the original bonus before reverting to zero. So if three attacks in a combination hit, the fourth attack would be made with a +6 damage bonus (for a combination damage bonus set of +0/+2/+4/+6)

Wait what the heck is up with that CP spend? 40 cp for the baseline and 20 cp for the child skill? Yes, we have decided to change up the structure of skill expenditures a bit. It’s not every skill, but in general, skills will cost CP in line with their power instead of following Tier 1: 10/20/30, Tier 2: 20/40/60, Tier 3: 30/60/90 (although we are mostly sticking with the familiar numbers in each tier, just maybe not that exact structure for child skills). This gives the team a bit of flexibility in designing good baseline skills with attractive upgrades, without having to make those upgrades worth double or triple the CP spend of the base skill.

But back to the damage numbers! They go up! +3 average for 60cp, that’s like Infinite Attack but for T2 CP! “wow I’m impressed dev team you really did it” you begin to think, but what’s this?

More post to read?!

They went FURTHER?

Oh yes. yes we did

Quote:
(40 CP) Improved Combinations: The baseline bonus for combination attacks increases from +2 to +3.

Oh that was a small quote box, not a big deal... unless….it all stacks?

IT DOES

Buying all of these skills turns your combo into +0/+3/+6/+9 for 4 consecutive attacks against the same target. +4.5 damage average! The game has done been changed. Of course this requires your target to survive 4 hits to get that sweet sweet damage, and your early hits will not break the soak of tanky folks too well. But persevere, happy feet, and get those big combo hits wherever you are at!

Now obviously we had to take damage out of T3 to accomplish this (Elite and Infinite attack have been removed from all classes) and there are other changes afoot, but I hope people look forward to their new and exciting T2 experience bonking folks really hard.

Next will be Pariah, and then Paladin who have had similar changes!

Last edited by Fellis on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:57 am; edited 3 times in total
acat
Mortal
Mortal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This gives the team a bit of flexibility in designing good baseline skills with attractive upgrades, without having to make those upgrades worth double or triple the CP spend of the base skill.

excited cat sounds!!!!
sohdbrimks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy
Lagn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skill names seem a bit generic- open for suggestions? The first child skill could be called "Battle Tempo", and the skill after that could be called "Momentum"? Or maybe that could be the name for "Improved Combinations".
Fellis
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are more than welcome to suggest other names! I don't really care what they are called, definitely something for other dev team to consider.
Badziew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is fine to have dull, pragmatic-sounding skill names, but I also think it would be better to follow naming theme of weapon skills, so that its meaning would be more clear:

Combination Attack => unchanged
Combination Adept => Advanced Combination Attack
Combination Master => Master Combination Attack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nexus Clash Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: